ARCHIVE: Open Theism part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philetus

I don't think you understand the point, Lonster.

No one is suggesting that you read Aristotle and Plato and decided to incorporate their philosophy into your Christian doctrine. Chances are you've never read a word of Plato or any other Greek philosopher. The point is that Calvinism and all its various flavors has its origin in Greek philosophy and that you would therefore have never heard of the doctrines you've been taught are Biblical without the Greek influence.

It's not as if you sat down yourself and went through the Bible on your own and developed a systematic theology just to find out later that Calvin had beaten you to it by some 400 years. You believe what you believe because someone taught you and the the person who taught believes what he believes because someone taught him and so on. If you go back far enough you go straight through Calvin and then Luther and then Augustine and then Plato and Aristotle. That's is what we are getting at when you say that your theology is based on Greek philosophy, nothing more and nothing less.

Resting in Him,
Clete

That is well said!

We have all become defenders of somebody else's 'faith' at some point. WE have been making our own disciples so long we don't even recognize one another as disciples of Jesus any more. No wonder, all we do is follow each other around in circles, kissing up to this one, kicking that one. God help us.

Is there a twelve step program for recovering theologians? :cheers:

Hey, Clete. Remember this one? "Never underestimate the power of pre-existent theologies." Just something a wise teacher once said to me.

Nang

TOL Subscriber

(This woman will have even you calling her names under your breath. Where's Clete when you need him?)

Announcement:

Genuine sons of God do not do name calling.

They never resort to potty-mouth, either.

For they contain and control their temper.

That is because the "seed" of Christ abides within them, and they cannot do these things.

Genuine Christians are the temple of God, and such behavior does not issue forth from those indwelt and sanctified by the Holy Spirit of Christ.

Good trees do not produce bitter and bad fruit.

Philetus

Announcement:

Genuine sons of God do not do name calling.

They never resort to potty-mouth, either.

For they contain and control their temper.

That is because the "seed" of Christ abides within them, and they cannot do these things.

Genuine Christians are the temple of God, and such behavior does not issue forth from those indwelt and sanctified by the Holy Spirit of Christ.

Good trees do not produce bitter and bad fruit.

:rotfl:
You mistook the big print for anger? Noooooo, mam! Side-splitting laughter! That's all.

In fact I was shocked! This: "its true and godrulz does not even recognise who the spirit of God is. In fact he denies Him every chance he gets." seems so out of character in light of your earlier posts I was flabbergasted.
For one Christian to address another in this way is just as bad as the CRAP you just posted.
Lighten up, honey.

Twelve Steps for Theologians
1. We admitted we were powerless over our theology—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Theology greater than our own could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our commentaries and systematic theologies over to the nearest library that we can find.
4. Made a searching, fearless and public immoral inventory of ourselves and each other.
5. Admitted to God, (well maybe not God, maybe Knight) to ourselves and to another human being (if we can still find one that talks to us) the exact nature of our stinking thinking.
6. Were entirely ready to have modern meds remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked anyone to remove our heads from our *****.
8. Made a list of all persons we had disagreed with, and became willing to make up excuses to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would strengthen their theology.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly hide it with “the Greeks made me do it”.
11. Sought through e-mail to improve our conscious contact with God as we misunderstood Him.
12. Without having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to those addicted, and to practice these principles in all our affairs. (Yea, like theologians had time for affairs.)

That's it! I'm a
BANNED AGAIN CHRISTIAN.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
:rotfl:
You mistook the big print for anger? Noooooo, mam! Side-splitting laughter! That's all.

My announcement was not directed to you, but was made as a general statement of fact.

In fact I was shocked! This: "its true and godrulz does not even recognise who the spirit of God is. In fact he denies Him every chance he gets." seems so out of character in light of your earlier posts I was flabbergasted.

Well, then, I did not "shock" you, for those are not my words, and thus you reply to the wrong person.

For one Christian to address another in this way is just as bad as the CRAP you just posted.
Lighten up, honey.

Genuine Christians do not use or shout foul language . . . and never call me "honey" again.

prespilot68

Basic concepts of God, or what ever is eternal/infinite and the origin of what is temporal/finite, were not incomprehensible for Plato and Aristotle.

Philosophic Premise:
Knowledge of God begins with nature and cause

The philosophers state that every change and movement in nature must have a cause. Plato wrote, "Everything that becomes or changes must do so owing to some cause;"7 Aristotle said, "There is something that is always moving the things that are moved.8 "For with all change, there is something that changes into, something else through the agency of something. The agent is the proximate mover; the thing that changes is the matter; and what it changes into is the form."9 Aristotle believed that nothing moves itself, even the soul is moved by the "object of its thought."10

Philosophic analysis
God is immovable, changeless, and timeless

Plato explained, "We must distinguish between that which is and never becomes (is changeless and immovable) from that which is always becoming but never is (is always changing and moving)."11 He also stated it this way, "When God ordered the heavens He made in that which we call time an eternal moving image of the eternity which remains...eternally the same and unmoved."12 Aristotle said, "There is something that moves things while being itself immovable and existing in actuality (without any potential for change), it is not possible in any way for that thing to be in any state other that in which it is."13

The philosophers, then, antithically abstracted from nature three essential attributes of a philosophically perfect being/unmoved mover: He is eternally changeless, immovable, and timeless; and therefore the ultimate cause of movement, change, and time in a temporal and imperfect universe.

Philosophic conclusion
God did not create the world and cannot enter it.

Plato's God is not the creator of the world, he has only moved it from a disordered state to an orderly one. Plato said, "God wishing that all things should be good, and so far as possible nothing be imperfect, and finding the visible universe (of water, fire, earth, and air) in a state not of rest but of inharmonious and disorderly motion, reduced it to order from disorder."14

For Aristotle, the world, orderly movement, change, and time are eternal. He argues, "It is impossible for movement either to come into being or to perish, since it has always existed. Nor can time do either of these things, since there could not be anything "prior" (before) or "posterior" (after) if there were no time; and movement is as continues as time, since time is either the same thing as movement or is an affection of it. There is something that is always being moved...(by) something that moves things without being moved."15

The God of Plato and Aristotle cannot enter the world and act in human history. It is clearly impossible for a perfectly changeless, immovable, and timeless deity to enter an imperfect world of change, movement, and time. That's why Plato says that God is "imperceptible to sight or the other senses the object of thought (only)."16 For Aristotle the "divine mind...thinks of what is most divine and most valuable, and plainly it does not change; for change would be for the worse, and already be a movement...The mind then, must think of itself if it is the best of things."17

That which is eternally immovable, changeless/immutable, and timeless cannot enter the (impassability) world that moves, changes, and is in time without becoming movable, changable/mutable, and part of time.

What is absolutely incomprehensible is how the God of Genesis could be the same God.

http://www.dynamicfreetheism.com/Theism.html

DFT - Great Response!! This is something I have always wondered about the Calvinist version of God - Can God really know what time it is? If God is in the "Eternal Now" and decides to jump into the present, doesn't he have to know exactly when to show up on the scene. Take all the OT examples of God jumping into time (or the present) to speak with prophets or the Israelites, didn't He have to make a "choice" as to when He would show up "in time" while yet being in the Eternal Now??

The Eternal Now concept of God is NO WHERE IN SCRIPTURE! This is a philosophical concept and not one based on scripture. Not to mention that none of the intended recipients of God's word ever had this view of God. Clearly they viewed God in duration and reacted as such. When God speaks in either the OT or NT, the very fact that he puts one word in front of the other shows He is in duration. I am new to TOL, but I have been a Open Theist for almost 4 years and I must say I have been changed forever more as a result of it. What I see on this thread is a lot of people who refuse to use solid hermeneutics to interpret scripture and put Greek philosophy, seminary degrees above scriptures and common sense.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Unfortunately, you guys always assume correlation means extrapolation. I don't buy all of Greek philosophy, and I certainly don't build any of my theology from Plato or Aristotle. I refuse to build my theology by anything but a 'biblical' philosophy. Secondary. third, fourth, tenth, twenty second sources are fine, but Greek influence being my prime influence? Straw-ha-ha-man (by the way, I shooting OV theorists in the foot here, not you or the OV in general). This so reminds me of conspiracy theorists, chicken little, and Mr. Magoo.

Maybe you don't build your theology on Greek philosophy but Augustine did by his own confession.

"By having thus read the books of the Platonists, and having been taught by them to search for the incorporeal Truth, I saw how thy invisible things are understood through the things that are made. (Natural theology preceeding Revealed theology) And, even when I was thrown back, I still sensed what it was that the dullness of my soul would not allow me to contemplate. I was assured that thou wast, and wast infinite, though not diffused in finite space or infinity (timeless); that thou truly art, who art ever the same, (changeless) varying neither in part nor motion (immovable); and that all things are from thee, as is proved by this sure cause alone (nothing moves itself): that they exist...I now believe that it was thy pleasure that I should fall upon these books before I studied thy Scripture (determinism), that it might be impressed on my memory how I was affected by them."

Then what does the Bible say?

Biblical premise:
Knowledge of God begins with God

The Biblical premise is that God has spoken to us through the prophets to tell us he is the Creator of the world and has revealed himself to us through his son. John 14:8-9 "Jesus said to his disciples, 'If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him.' Philip said to Him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.' Jesus said to him, 'He who had seen Me has seen the Father.'"

Biblical analysis:
Movement, change, and time exist in God

Hebrews 1:10-12 "Thou, Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the works of thy hands; they will perish, but thou remainest; and they all will become old as a garment, and as a mantle thou wilt roll them up as a garment they will also be changed. But thou art the same, and thy years will not come to an end." The creation is the work of God; this is movement. God has "years"; this is time. These verses tell us that the material world will run down and wear out through time, but God, who is spirit, will not experience change nor perish though time.

Psalms 90:1-4 "Before the mountains were born, or Thou didst give birth to the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, Thou art God. For a thousand years in Thy sight are like yesterday when it passes by, or as a watch in the night." Because God has no beginning and no end, a thousand years is as a day to God. There are theologians who say that these verses explain that God is timeless, but the verses only say that God experiences time differently than we do.

The Bible records that God has changed his mind, his mood, and his form. Genesis 6:5-8 "Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart."

Exodus 32:14 "And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people." To repent is a change of mind and action.

John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...And the word became flesh and dwelt among us."This is greatest change of all. The Word becoming flesh not only speaks of change but also time and movement.

Biblical conclusion:
God is the creator of the world and enters it

The Bible reveals that God acted sequentially in the creation of the universe. In six days he brought into existence a world that had not previously existed. This reveals time and movement in God. The incarnation is a change in God; "The Word became flesh." This is the antithesis of Plato's deity who "always is and never becomes", and Aristotle's "immovable" deity.

That God has a past, present, and future is quite obvious. The creation and incarnation are past events for God. The day of judgement is a future event for God as it is for us. The essence of time has always existed in God himself. In the creation there is only a new way to measure it, "seasons, days and years",

Genesis 1:14. God assures us that his character does not change. He always has been and always will be love, light, and justice, etc.. But the Bible clearly tells us that God can change his mind, make plans, and alter them. He has unlimited potential and freedom of thought and action in an eternity of unlimited time.

elected4ever

What I see on this thread is a lot of people who refuse to use solid hermeneutics to interpret scripture and put Greek philosophy, seminary degrees above scriptures and common sense.
Gee, I don't have any of those things. All i got is the scripture. So I guess I started out behind the 8 ball.

Lon

That is well said!

We have all become defenders of somebody else's 'faith' at some point. WE have been making our own disciples so long we don't even recognize one another as disciples of Jesus any more. No wonder, all we do is follow each other around in circles, kissing up to this one, kicking that one. God help us.

Is there a twelve step program for recovering theologians? :cheers:

Hey, Clete. Remember this one? "Never underestimate the power of pre-existent theologies." Just something a wise teacher once said to me.

I agree, it was well said, but my approach isn't exactly the same as many. About the only thing in common is that all of my influences weren't OV. I've always examined everything because I was in a church for most of my growing up period where I had to actually read my Bible because the pastor was as liberal as all get-out (United Methodist). I was in a post-modern extremely generous orthodoxy before any of this was ever written about. So, at any rate, I'm a bit of a strange animal, I am more covenant than dispensation, more Calvinistic than Arminian (Ha AGAIN Godrulz!). A more 'open' rapturist/millenialist in eschatology, etc.

At any rate, if I were influenced by Greek philosophy, you could blame my College class for that, but I resisted every stretch of the way. I had a B+ in that class even though I A'ced everything and only received one B+ during the whole class (Tell me that wasn't a prejudice prof). Oh yes, I resisted. Anyway, the only way I could buy into Greek influence is if I found it Biblically sound as a secondary. It could never influence me primarily. Scripture directs what I believe. This all to say, if outside secular thinking influences me, it has to be filtered before I'd buy it.

baloney

BANNED
Banned
Who cares what the Greek philosophers said. Open theist views of time do not coorelate with modern physics views of time. And come to think of it, neither does this young Earth creationist junk.

patman

Hosea 11:8
"How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboiim? My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused.

-God

If God knew before time his heart would change, then there is no way it really changed. The best way to honor the scriptures is by taking out the assumption that everything was foreknown

Philetus

My announcement was not directed to you, but was made as a general statement of fact.

Well, then, I did not "shock" you, for those are not my words, and thus you reply to the wrong person.

Genuine Christians do not use or shout foul language . . . and never call me "honey" again.

Yeah, you did. Just like I shocked myself when I agreed with my ol buddy E. But, it wasn't your general 'ANNOUNCEMENT' that shocked me.

[SIZE="4" said:
Nang;1424668[/SIZE]]Open Theists affirm and assert a lot of things, using the holy Word of God in one breath, and denying the Spirit of God in the next.

Do you hold to their beliefs?

YES! I do.

Quote Elected4Ever) its true and godrulz does not even recognise who the spirit of God is. In fact he denies Him every chance he gets.

Face it! You can say it as nicely as you want ... you are just like the rest of us, Your Honor.

Now go pray for me, so we can talk theology, with out you condemning yourself every time you pass judgment on another in order to provoke.

patman

I am not a young earthy but I don't object to them. God created regardless. He just never told us how. it is not a salviac issue with me.

:jawdrop: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaatttt? Well that's good that you think God created it:sigh:

Gen 1 goes into detail how God made us. Remember? Didn't you approve of those verses? Not up to your standards of truth?

How about these verses that mirror Gen?

Exodus 20:11

Job 26:7-14

(Not to mention the genealogy records kept in scripture that allow us to count the earth is very young. I guess they don't live up to your standards?)

Isa 45
9 “ Woe to him who strives with his Maker!
Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth!
Shall the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’
Or shall your handiwork say, ‘He has no hands’?

E4E, I never thought much about your arguments before, but now I have no respect for them. Because now I know you do not believe in the entire bible. Only the parts that suit you, the parts that make you look holier than others is all you care about.

Elected4Ever = holier than everyone else forever :(

How can you be like the person being rebuked by God in Isaiah? Who are you to tell us what parts of the Bible happened? Why not just let atheists on this thread who don't believe in the Bible too and let them make up whatever they want to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.