Appeal to the Moderators: TOL is for Dialogue? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
A while back, Cruciform received an infraction (resulting in his temporary ban) basically for spam. In my anger, I wrote a thread, not so much objecting to the moderator who administered the infraction, but in defense of the so-called "spam" that Cruciform writes.

The answer that the moderator who administered the infraction gave (nor should this thread, mind you, be seen as a protest against moderation; I offer my sincere respect and gratitude to the moderator in question, in general, for her service as a moderator), and one which I very much approve, was as follows:

TOL is for dialogue. Dialogue is what drives TOL.

I disagreed then, and I disagree now, that Cruciform's "spam" is anti-dialogue.

Nonetheless, there is a certain element on this website which is exceedingly anti-dialogue. These posters, in effect, are "hit and run" posters. Get in. Throw an insult. Put the ones who disagree with them on ignore. Continue mocking said person(s). And then abdicate the thread. All, of course, without engaging in dialogue in the least.

We see an extreme case of this with the Horn. I am, in fact, not fully convinced that he's even human. If he is human, I'm not convinced that he's not on somebody's dime, one of these "hit and run" propaganda people hired by political organizations. He certainly doesn't display any signs of actually reading the threads in which he posts.

But various other subscribers, in particular, many of those of the social liberal bent, certainly do not seem interested in dialogue. They seem interested in high-fiving each other and mocking, not dialoguing with those, who disagree with them.

Therefore, moderators, I issue this "challenge" in a spirit, not of defiance and disrespect, but of jovial encouragement:

Is TOL for dialogue or not?

Was Cruciform deserving of an infraction or not? And yet his "spam" at least reveals a willingness to engage with his opponents; he evidences at least the fact that he read what his opponents have said.

The liberals? Not so much.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I'll just get straight to the point.

Why are Rusha, The Horn and Zoo (and any other posters like them) still here?

Seriously. :plain:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'll just get straight to the point.

Why are Rusha, The Horn, Quetzel and Zoo still here?

Seriously. :plain:

Because they're good posters, and good people. Intelligent. Empathic. They aren't racists, they don't advocate bashing in women's faces, they don't find mass shootings hilarious, or think Mexicans are dumb. I could go on, but you get the point. Seriously.

I hope you appreciate this dialogue. Seriously.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Because they're good posters, and good people. Intelligent. Empathic.

well, zoo's a weirdo

the horn claims that making abortion illegal will cause a rise in the number of abortions

qweetzaal does drivebys with no substance

and rusha is the antichrist

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Because they're good posters, and good people. Intelligent. Empathic. They aren't racists, they don't advocate bashing in women's faces, they don't find mass shootings hilarious, or think Mexicans are dumb. I could go on, but you get the point. Seriously.

With all due respect:

What you've said ultimately comes down to: "I agree with them and I like them."

Ultimately, whether or not you agree with and like them is irrelevant to the question of this whole "dialogue" business. If Cruciform deserved to receive an infraction, then, a forteriori, The Horn, at the very least, should be perma-banned.

Can you show me even a single posting of his within the last month in which he actually displayed signs of reading something somebody else wrote?

Edit: It's like the guy just looks for keywords and copies/pastes pre-set liberal propaganda. I'm not convinced that the account isn't simply an elaborate computer program.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
With all due respect:

What you've said ultimately comes down to: "I agree with them and I like them."

Ultimately, whether or not you agree with and like them is irrelevant to the question of this whole "dialogue" business. If Cruciform deserved to receive an infraction, then, a forteriori, The Horn, at the very least, should be perma-banned.

Can you show me even a single posting of his within the last month in which he actually displayed signs of reading something somebody else wrote?

No. It doesn't. First of all, while several of them are friends of mine, some closer friends than others, I don't even know The Horn - and I don't agree with any of them on all things, so quit putting words in my mouth.

Second of all, I clearly said: "Because they're good posters, and good people. Intelligent. Empathic. They aren't racists, they don't advocate bashing in women's faces, they don't find mass shootings hilarious, or think Mexicans are dumb. I could go on, but you get the point. Seriously."

You ignored that entirely. I wonder why.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
No. It doesn't. First of all, while several of them are friends of mine, some closer friends than others, I don't even know The Horn - and I don't agree with any of them on all things, so quit putting words in my mouth.

Look up his postings.

You may very well like much of what he has to say, but ultimately, I think that you'll be forced to agree with me that he probably wouldn't past the Turing test.

Second of all, I clearly said: "Because they're good posters, and good people. Intelligent. Empathic. They aren't racists, they don't advocate bashing in women's faces, they don't find mass shootings hilarious, or think Mexicans are dumb. I could go on, but you get the point. Seriously."

You ignored that entirely. I wonder why.

1. What's your definition of a good poster?

2. Again, you're simply saying: "They don't say the offensive things that you say." But the fact that I say "offensive" things and they don't is irrelevant to the question of whether or not they engage in the kind of "dialogue" that the moderator in question was talking about.

Are you familiar with the Cruciform fiasco?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Edit: It's like the guy just looks for keywords and copies/pastes pre-set liberal propaganda. I'm not convinced that the account isn't simply an elaborate computer program.

My impression is that unlike a lot of us, he doesn't spend much time on TOL. When he does come by, he responds to something that catches his eye but he doesn't stick around for a long discussion. Seems like he should be able to do that without someone wanting him to be gone gone over it.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Look up his postings.

You may very well like much of what he has to say, but ultimately, I think that you'll be forced to agree with me that he probably wouldn't past the Turing test.

2. Again, you're simply saying: "They don't say the offensive things that you say." But the fact that I say "offensive" things and they don't is irrelevant to the question of whether or not they engage in the kind of "dialogue" that the moderator in question was talking about.

actually - the "offensive" things you say are much more stimulating to the dialogue here that the crap those retards post

case in point - here we are four years after the colorado movie theater shooting and ann's still talking about it! :darwinsm:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Look up his postings.

Not interested in doing that.

Do you understand what I mean when I say intelligent? Empathic?

And because they're not like you - they're an excellent (and necessary) counterpoint to you.

Yes.

bybee

actually - the "offensive" things you say are much more stimulating to the dialogue here that the crap those retards post

case in point - here we are four years after the colorado movie theater shooting and ann's still talking about it! :darwinsm:

You call that dialogue.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
My impression is that unlike a lot of us, he doesn't spend much time on TOL. When he does come by, he responds to something that catches his eye but he doesn't stick around for a long discussion. Seems like he should be able to do that without someone wanting him banned over it.

This
is the latest post of his I have in mind.

This is what he was "answering."

Eviebot could have done better.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
it would be interesting to see if she could come up with something constructive instead of just whining

Let the record show that I intentionally omitted any mention of AnnaBenedetti from my opening posts in this thread. :idunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.