Anybody else sick of the supposed race issue?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
sw50sw8sw578.gif

giphy.gif

John-McHale-Thats-Racist-Gif-On-Community.gif

lolbrary.com_29985_1386345617.gif

This is why the world is stupid.

Mr. 5020

This week, a client at work told asked me why he should let a "wetback" handle his finances.

Obviously, he's a racist. They exist.

It doesn't matter, though.

rexlunae

I don't think there's much of an argument that the Oscars issue was racist. Symptomatic of a largely skewed voting pool, sure, but racist?

That's it, it's largely symptomatic of a larger problem. But as a highly-visible part of that system, they have a larger-than-most responsibility to do something about it.

The same group gave an Oscar to "It's Hard Out There For a Pimp"...they shouldn't have, but they did. Anyway, they're even older now and that has a way of shrinking interests. Because all sorts of minorities have won in recent memory. Now Creed was good enough to be nominated, though I think being of the Rocky franchise hurt that chance. They gave the nod to Stallone instead, though the invite stopped short of a statue. Idris? An unlikable turn in a movie released on Netflix. And, honestly, the nominees were good else. I don't agree with it, but I can't say it's racist...unless you think old white men being disinterested in hip-hop is racist, by way of illustration.

I think you can have a racist system in which no individual participant has to make a single, explicitly racist decision. I'm don't think that's exactly what's going on in Hollywood. I think there are people making casting decisions based on race and expectations about what people want to see, accurate or not. And it's certainly true that a lot of white people react pretty dramatically when a black actor is cast in a traditionally white roll. But the Oscars itself may be unwitting racism. And the only way to change that sort of system is to call it out. The people inside the system don't want it to be that way necessarily, and they certainly don't want to be seen that way. And it looks like there are some changes coming because of the publicity.

rexlunae

So because you thought this was a good flick that should speak for us all?

Nope.

I can say after seeing the trailer and knowing that I would have to endure the rap crap that passes for music I knew I wasn't interested.

That's fine. You don't have to see it. You also probably won't be called upon to decide in any highly-visible setting which movies where significant.

I would say look at the stats, "The Revenant" which had best actor sold $300 million in tickets where "Straight Outta of Compton" only sold $60.2 Million, I think that shows why right there but, I guess the Oscar should have been awarded because of race instead of merit...Lame!

If that's the metric, we ought to be able to do without the Academy almost entirely.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Then they will never move on. "White" people will never take that. In fact, that is part of the trump phenomena. White people feel beseiged and are fighting back.

As the song says: A teaspoon of sugar helps it go down. You're swallowing it ....one way or the other.:idunno:

PureX

Did everybody enjoy Chris Rock's rants ?
I thought they were funny jokes, and I didn't mind that he focussed solely on that issue. Only the ignoramuses and the racists among us want to pretend that racism is not an issue in this country. And in every country, really, as we humans are hard-wired to be suspicious of people that we don't consider part of "our group". That's just the way it is, and skin color is always going to be one of those ways that we humans see other humans as different from us. So racial bias will always be an issue.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Did everybody enjoy Chris Rock's rants ?

I watched the first half of the Oscars so I can't comment on everything that he said/did. Mostly I thought it was ok. My one compliant is that it seemed like every time he was on stage he went to that topic. Perhaps a bit too much. Probably the most important was his line about just wanting opportunities.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
That's it, it's largely symptomatic of a larger problem. But as a highly-visible part of that system, they have a larger-than-most responsibility to do something about it.
Why do they have a larger responsibility than most? Wouldn't the primary responsibility be with those who are creating the films?

And it's certainly true that a lot of white people react pretty dramatically when a black actor is cast in a traditionally white roll.
Depending on the case I can understand that. And I tend to think the primary way black actors get jobs shouldn't be by changing existing characters to be black. Then again, I'm not sure what percentage of films are based on existing stories and what are original.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

I've noticed that liberals are silent about Chris Rock using Asian children as fodder for a stereotypical joke when he was MC at the 2016 Oscars.

Do you think literally anyone watching it thought the point was to mock Asians?

Let's see what some well known celebrities who are Asian had to say about it.

Jeremy Lin, Constance Wu And More Bash Chris Rock For Asian Jokes At Oscars
http://www.hngn.com/articles/183562...nce-wu-bash-chris-rock-asian-jokes-oscars.htm

This is not true. Many people have spoken out about this.

Steven Spielberg? Harvey Weinstein? Ron Howard? Which liberals publically denounced Chris Rock for his racist attempt at a joke?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

I've noticed that liberals are silent about Chris Rock using Asian children as fodder for a stereotypical joke when he was MC at the 2016 Oscars.

Jeremy Lin, Constance Wu And More Bash Chris Rock For Asian Jokes At Oscars
http://www.hngn.com/articles/183562...nce-wu-bash-chris-rock-asian-jokes-oscars.htm

Steven Spielberg? Harvey Weinstein? Ron Howard? Which liberals publically denounced Chris Rock for his racist attempt at a joke?

Black actors deserve what they get - nothing

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Well known by how many people? I'm sure you can always find someone who finds any joke trading on any ethnicity to be offensive...and most are, because most of the time the point is to demean. Sometimes it's obvious and sometimes there's a hostility under the surface of it, a back handed compliment, by way of...but my response to Rock with the Asian bit was mostly that it was shades of Bob Hope at the end (not the brilliant beginning and middle) of his career stale and incongruous given the larger theme...or maybe what Rock illustrated is that we're all prone to being a little flesh-tone deaf and the trick is to be a bit more diligent before we speak to or for someone outside of our wheelhouse.

And to be fair, a joke hinged on Asians (some with vaguely Jewish names) excelling at math isn't exactly a minstrel show, is it. Stereotypical and thick witted, but demeaning?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
And to be fair, a joke hinged on Asians (some with vaguely Jewish names) excelling at math isn't exactly a minstrel show, is it. Stereotypical and thick witted, but demeaning?

Again, many people that are of the race that was at the brunt of the alleged joke found it demeaning. I guess the liberals in Hollyweird aren't as sensitive to cultural diversity as they claim to be.

PureX

The purpose of a comedy monologue is to make people laugh. But few comedians can do that every time with every joke. They have to take chances on the subjects and the delivery get the laughs, but in doing that they might also offend an audience member, inadvertently. And it IS inadvertent, because offending people is not their intent. Their intent is to make people laugh.

I don't expect any comedian's routine to reflect anyone's thinking but their own. And I don't assume that what happens in the mind of a comedian somehow reflects what happens in anyone else's. Though sometimes it may. Chris Rock was expressing Chris Rock's own views and even then he was only doing it to get a laugh. So I just don't see any reason to consider anything he said beyond that context.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Read wiki on the film. A gruesome, violent and twisted crime film. Reminds me of Quinton Tarantino.

it was an attempt to ride the success of pulp fiction, iirc

flawed in many ways, it is noteworthy in my mind for stellar performances by steve buscemi, christopher lloyd and a truly evil christopher walken

and a classic bit part by cheadle :thumb:

btw, i was driving home last night after i'd posted that "the token black guy" bit when it struck me that nick fury is played by a black guy :doh: