Anybody else sick of the supposed race issue?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I've been sick of the race card since I became aware of racism and slavery as a kid. I am white, now I'm a minority
What country do you live in? :plain: Or did you move into a new neighborhood?

I think it's mostly a problem of perspective. There are legitimate complaints tied to race, objectively demonstrable ones...and there's the Oscars. Being able to distinguish between the two is essential.

One concern I have these days is that liberals, who are clearly in ascension in terms of dominating the cultural landscape, will forget one of their traditional strengths, honoring diversity, and instead replace the more monolithic judgments of the right with their own set of sacred cows...in fact, if you saw kmo's bit on what's happening in some liberal bastions that appears to be entirely the case.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
4654791.jpg

The Libs sure know how to drag just about anything five feet into the dirt.

You know what's funny? How it's largely minorities, especially blacks, who choose to be exclusive.

rexlunae

I don't believe she said there was no racism.

She also didn't name a specific instance. I'm left to infer that she thinks too many thing are being ascribed to racism in general.

She is saying the racism charge is used as an excuse for everything. She is saying people make it a bigger issue than it really is.

If you she doesn't like the broad brush, she shouldn't use it. How is it that the Oscars had no non-white nominees? Well, it's part of a larger pattern that's gone on for as long as Hollywood has made films. But it's hard to prove that any given case is a result of racism. That's the problem with prejudice. You seldom know for sure that it's happening in an individual interaction.

Take the old "literacy tests" in the Deep South to register to vote. The laws mandating them were written in a racially-neutral way. But the officials charged with giving the tests were given latitude to administer tests as selectively as they wanted, the result of which was the maintenance of the status quo for generations. Was it racism? Of course. But in any given case, it would have been nearly impossible to prove.

I suppose i can agree we can't move away from it , but we certainly should rework the conversation and remove the current assumptions currently driving it. The current discussion and it's attendant assumptions has done nothing to improve the situation. The racism issue has improved in this country but it was done so in spite of the liberal approved discussion.

I'm all for reworking the conversation. Little progress has been made in a few decades. But I also don't know what that new conversation that would be more fruitful would look like. It's a lot harder to address a form of racism that has learned that it shouldn't be overtly seen, although in the last year or so, it seems like it's coming back out of the shadows a little bit. If anything, that should demonstrate how resilient it is.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That's one explanation. It's a little hard to believe, having seen Straight Outta Compton, but, it's one thing you can cling to.

i haven't seen straight outta compton (or many of the other films under consideration), so i really couldn't say

regardless, it is the most obvious explanation

same reason there weren't any eskimos or tajikis nominated (i'm assuming there weren't any eskimos or tajikis nominated - or samoans or maoris, for that matter :idunno: )

how come you're only whining about the poor poor blacks who were "excluded"?

rexlunae

i haven't seen straight outta compton (or many of the other films under consideration), so i really couldn't say

Not surprising. Whatever you think of n.W.a., it was a good, well-acted, well done film, telling an important and timely story.

regardless, it is the most obvious explanation

same reason there weren't any eskimos or tajikis nominated (i'm assuming there weren't any eskimos or tajikis nominated - or samoans or maoris, for that matter :idunno: )

Have you ever been to LA? There are a fair number of black people. There are a lot of Hispanics, who are actually the majority in the state.

how come you're only whining about the poor poor blacks who were "excluded"?

Because their numbers are great enough that it's hard to believe that there just wasn't a single film that was worthy.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Not surprising. Whatever you think of n.W.a., it was a good, well-acted, well done film, telling an important and timely story.

i believe quite a few of those get made each year

rex said:
Have you ever been to LA? There are a fair number of black people. There are a lot of Hispanics, who are actually the majority in the state.

and all of them are making movies?

rex said:
Because their numbers are great enough...

numbers of black or hispanic filmmakers or actors or whatever?

rex said:
that it's hard to believe that there just wasn't a single film that was worthy.

name a dozen that you think were worthy

ClimateSanity

too many =/= all

no non-whites were worthy? :idunno:
I don't see many movies but here is a test. Name the best performance of a black actor and the film it was in. Name the worst performance of a oscar winner who was white. Now, do a non biased assessment of both performances and tell me if you can see a legitimate reason for exclusive the black actors performance.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
How is it that the Oscars had no non-white nominees?
I don't think there's much of an argument that the Oscars issue was racist. Symptomatic of a largely skewed voting pool, sure, but racist? The same group gave an Oscar to "It's Hard Out There For a Pimp"...they shouldn't have, but they did. Anyway, they're even older now and that has a way of shrinking interests. Because all sorts of minorities have won in recent memory. Now Creed was good enough to be nominated, though I think being of the Rocky franchise hurt that chance. They gave the nod to Stallone instead, though the invite stopped short of a statue. Idris? An unlikable turn in a movie released on Netflix. And, honestly, the nominees were good else. I don't agree with it, but I can't say it's racist...unless you think old white men being disinterested in hip-hop is racist, by way of illustration.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
That's one explanation. It's a little hard to believe, having seen Straight Outta Compton, but, it's one thing you can cling to.

So because you thought this was a good flick that should speak for us all? I can say after seeing the trailer and knowing that I would have to endure the rap crap that passes for music I knew I wasn't interested. I would say look at the stats, "The Revenant" which had best actor sold $300 million in tickets where "Straight Outta of Compton" only sold $60.2 Million, I think that shows why right there but, I guess the Oscar should have been awarded because of race instead of merit...Lame!

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't think there's much of an argument that the Oscars issue was racist. Symptomatic of a largely skewed voting pool, sure, but racist? The same group gave an Oscar to "It's Hard Out There For a Pimp"...they shouldn't have, but they did. Anyway, they're even older now and that has a way of shrinking interests. Because all sorts of minorities have won in recent memory. Now Creed was good enough to be nominated, though I think being of the Rocky franchise hurt that chance. They gave the nod to Stallone instead, though the invite stopped short of a statue. Idris? An unlikable turn in a movie released on Netflix. And, honestly, the nominees were good else. I don't agree with it, but I can't say it's racist...unless you think old white men being disinterested in hip-hop is racist, by way of illustration.

I've noticed that liberals are silent about Chris Rock using Asian children as fodder for a stereotypical joke when he was MC at the 2016 Oscars.

OscarKids2.jpg