American Sniper Movie

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It came out this weekend in theaters

oh, I have not the one that is not sold as a Blu-ray. I play Blu-ray DVD at my own theatre.

Never go to any public theatre; I would have to bring my bed and my own tea.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/01/19/hollywood-split-over-american-sniper-success/

Note the tweet of support of the movie by Hanoi Jane (Seymour) Fonda.

She should apologize to the families of all of the men and women who died in Vietnam and the returning soldiers who she spit on before she comments on any war movie.

Regarding Mikey Moore's comments: He obviously can't tell the difference between a Nazi shooting American soldiers and an American soldier shooting terrorist muslims.
No difference. The soldier in their sights is an enemy who is less than human.
All soldiers in every country learn this.

That's why we have boot camp and basic training and why soldiers need to be young rather than old and full of some sort of practical wisdom.

The parades, the beat of the drums and the fear mongering by the governments only serve to get the soldier out on the battlefield as soon as possible. Their human relationships with their fellow soldiers are what keeps them going back. It is a better place to be than back in America when community and friendship count for very little.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
I have heard the movie is both anti-war and pro-war. That makes it compelling for me. I want to go see it as soon as I can.

By the way, the "fake baby" was played by Seth Rogen.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...niper-success/

She should apologize to the families of all of the men and women who died in Vietnam and the returning soldiers who she spit on before she comments on any war movie.

Regarding Mikey Moore's comments: He obviously can't tell the difference between a Nazi shooting American soldiers and an American soldier shooting terrorist muslims.

No difference. The soldier in their sights is an enemy who is less than human.
All soldiers in every country learn this.

That's why we have boot camp and basic training and why soldiers need to be young rather than old and full of some sort of practical wisdom.

The parades, the beat of the drums and the fear mongering by the governments only serve to get the soldier out on the battlefield as soon as possible. Their human relationships with their fellow soldiers are what keeps them going back. It is a better place to be than back in America when community and friendship count for very little.

I notice that you seem to have a problem differentiating between good and evil.

Why's that?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have heard the movie is both anti-war and pro-war. That makes it compelling for me. I want to go see it as soon as I can.

When you say "pro war" you of course mean that Chris Lyle did his part to fight off Muslim aggression throughout the world.

I'm not sure what you mean by anti-war. Did Clint Eastwood give Hanoi Jane Fonda a role in the movie?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...niper-success/

Why's that?
I don't see it in black/white, either/or terms anymore.

There is a profound and innate wisdom in the ancient "Yin/Yang" symbol of the Far East. It is a circle with black and white separated in half, yet each side has a small dot of white or black to show that good and evil are markedly different.

The great conservative Russian writer Alexander Solzhenitsyn used to say that it would be so helpful if we could keep the good people over here and then get all those evil people over there together. Then all we would need to do would be to utterly destroy those evil people and the world would finally be a better place to live.

But that line between good and evil, he said, actually runs down the middle of every human heart, and who is willing to destroy a piece of their own heart?

It is certainly easy to declare someone or some behavior as "evil." That way you don't have to think about it any longer.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I think I shall watch an old movie, "Training day". Denzel pays a memorable evil character, but he does it very well. We need a movie thread, may al only listen in music, as you well know.
sorry for my interruption, goodnight

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

Why's that?

I don't see it in black/white, either/or terms anymore.

There is a profound and innate wisdom in the ancient "Yin/Yang" symbol of the Far East. It is a circle with black and white separated in half, yet each side has a small dot of white or black to show that good and evil are markedly different...

For a (supposed) Christian, you seem pretty impressed with pagan religions. The Holy Bible has all the answers (i.e. drop your ying and yang obsession).

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think I shall watch an old movie, "Training day". Denzel pays a memorable evil character, but he does it very well. We need a movie thread, may al only listen in music, as you well know.
sorry for my interruption, goodnight

You have excellent taste in movies Ktoyou (Training Day definitely isn't a chick flick).

"King Kong aint got nothing on me...."

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
When you say "pro war" you of course mean that Chris Lyle did his part to fight off Muslim aggression throughout the world.

I'm not sure what you mean by anti-war. Did Clint Eastwood give Hanoi Jane Fonda a role in the movie?
I haven't seen it yet. I hope to do that soon.

Anti-war is when you are standing in line at Safeway and the person who is ahead of you is talking too much and taking too long AND you don't go crazy on them and start yelling.

Pro-war is when you pull out the gun you are legally allowed to carry and start shooting the person. Then you run screaming from the room.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
You wouldn't enjoy the movie shag, as it deals with honor, duty and loyalty, things dope smoking Libertarians can't relate to.
I think you need to get out more. Honor, duty and loyalty are essential to being civilized human beings. Once we start referring to others as uncivilized, we are on the way to packing them into railroad cars and taking them to the ovens.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I haven't seen it yet. I hope to do that soon.

Anti-war is when you are standing in line at Safeway and the person who is ahead of you is talking too much and taking too long AND you don't go crazy on them and start yelling.

Pro-war is when you pull out the gun you are legally allowed to carry and start shooting the person. Then you run screaming from the room.

I think you need to get out more. Honor, duty and loyalty are essential to being civilized human beings. Once we start referring to others as uncivilized, we are on the way to packing them into railroad cars and taking them to the ovens.

(I'm glad that it's illegal for the mentally insane to own guns. Let's hope aikido7 didn't find a loophole).

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

I think the "anti-war" part of the film is that it realistically shows the effect of war on the normal human heart.

But I have not seen it yet.

After 9/11 I was anti-war. I knew back then the effects of war on people and I am not surprised by the horrific incidences of suicide and social violence from many of our veterans.

During the celebrations and parades, there are few who have seen war or know much about it. It has been called "hell" for a very good reason.

One of my friends in high school bragged about the ears he used to have on a necklace when he fought in Viet Nam.

The stories of the sexual rape and killing of civilians takes place in every war, but you won't hear much about it at the time.

A young American having to walk around after a battle and find heads, limbs and pieces of flesh on the ground and putting them into plastic bags is something that is part of war.

No wonder some GIs urinate on the dead bodies of the enemy. The whole process turns us into savages.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
(I'm glad that it's illegal for the mentally insane to own guns. Let's hope aikido7 didn't find a loophole).
You have to be a little insane to kill, and that includes being a soldier.

Unless you see the other person as a cleverly-constructed robot whose existence is to kill you, it's hard to kill them first. It has been estimated that a surprising number of shots fired by people in war have been deliberate misses.

We don't like killing.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
You have to be a little insane to kill, and that includes being a soldier.

Unless you see the other person as a cleverly-constructed robot whose existence is to kill you, it's hard to kill them first. It has been estimated that a surprising number of shots fired by people in war have been deliberate misses.

We don't like killing.

aikido7, what war were you in?

Guaranteed if you don't kill them first you don't need to worry about second.

Those that miss deliberately need to be shot, their just wasting ammo and getting in the way.

I much prefer killing over dieing.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
aikido7, what war were you in?

Guaranteed if you don't kill them first you don't need to worry about second.

Those that miss deliberately need to be shot, their just wasting ammo and getting in the way.

I much prefer killing over dieing.

I have always been a Christian who tried to take Jesus seriously, so I became a conscientious objector during the Vietnam war. I was sentenced to five years in Rawlins penitentiary in Wyoming, but was called for a physical and luckily failed the requirements.

I was to miss going to prison after all. This gave me an automatic 1Y designation, which meant I would be forced to go into the military during a national emergency. And I had already made up my mind I would still refuse to go.

Some draft age men ran away to Canada, but to me I felt I could not be accountable for my own beliefs if I didn't face the consequences of my actions.

I knew from an early age that war just makes people less sensitive and more apt to kill others. I did not want to be placed in that position.

During the war two of my friends were drafted. One friend ended up pushing a Vietnam woman he met in a Saigon bar out a second story window and killed her. The other friend shot his own foot off when he was forced to act as the "point man" who led his platoon into the jungles there.

And from them I learned another acquaintance of mine in high school cut the ears off dead North Vietnamese soldiers and made a necklace out of them.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
War Poem from one of my friends:

...We followed the blood trail
and found only an abandoned pack.
The Lieutenant took the cash,
the men divided the food,
intelligence was sent the love letters
and I got the credit for a probable kill.
Intelligence reported the letters
were from a woman in the southern provinces.
Which meant she was arrested,
beaten, raped, locked in a tiger cage,
forced to eat her own excrement
and beaten again.
If she confessed, she was executed.
If she refused to confess, she was executed.
It was a funny war.
I shot a man.
I killed a woman.

Is there any wonder veterans are killing themselves and suffer from PTSD?
If you read the history of war, these things happen during and after every war.

Every war has veterans who suffer profound psychic wounds of participating in the killing and the violence of combat. Here and now we call it PTSD. In the civil war it was called "soldier's heart." In the first world war it was called "shell shocked." In World War II it was called "Section 8," based on the classified term used by the military then.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Hanoi Jane should have been tried and executed for treason. I don't believe that there is a statute of limitations on that crime.

Let God forgive her, I want justice served for the American boys who were killed, imprisoned under barbaric conditions and are still missing in action because of traitors like her.

If she's true blue :straight: then she won't mind paying for her crimes against the US.

If you're not willing to do the time, don't do the crime (2 Tim. 3:4).

fondapic2.jpg