American Film Icons

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Just to shake things up a bit:

Robin Williams: he began as a one note impression of Jonathan Winters and grew into a first tier talent, capable of carrying a movie despite being better suited by temperament for supporting roles. His first efforts to move from the small to larger screen were of mixed critical and popular success. Popeye failed to capture much of the public imagination but The World According to Garp was a modest hit with critic and public alike, setting the stage for Williams true arrival several years later in Good Morning Vietnam. Between Garp and Good Morning were several smaller films that offered Williams a chance to sharpen his craft, but did little to nothing to advance his career otherwise.

Good Morning Vietnam (1987): The story of Adrian Cronauer, a radio personality who comes to the Vietnam war on no particular mission except to do what he does best, entertain. But with time and exposure to both the war and the people caught up in it, he comes to view his role and those who dictate it with a very different lens. Williams ad lib radio bits and the general proximity of his stage persona may have hurt his chances of snagging the Academy Award, but he did garner a Golden Globe and recognition as an actor in full possession of his craft.

The Dead Poets Society (1989): When John Keating (Williams) comes to a stodgy private academy to teach literature and life to the sons of elite, trouble is in the making. Williams surprised many with an excellent but understated performance and gathered his second nomination for an Oscar as Best Actor. But Oscar glory was still some ways ahead. A very, very good film.

The Fisher King (1991): Williams returns to comedic form, but blends in a good bit of serious drama in this unusual and compelling tale of a man named Parry, driven mad by grief and loss. His redemption comes with the help of another man in need of it and the inadvertent root of his misery. Jeff Bridges does a good turn in the role of the radio shock jock who inadvertently sends a killer into the life of Parry then strives to affect both their redemptions. A critical success that did modest box office.

Mrs. Doubtfire (1993): Williams turn as a man pretending to be a woman in order to become close to his estranged family was a huge hit with public and critics alike, garnering yet another Oscar nomination for Williams along with another Golden Globe win. Funny and endearing, even if a little derivative (see: Tootsie...but then, see Some Like it Hot, so...)

Good Will Hunting (1997): a decade after Good Morning put him on the map Williams finally wins his Oscar for a turn as a psychiatrist who helps bring a measure of structure and peace into the life of a tortured genius. Terrific film and Williams at the height of his powers. It would also (so far) prove to be the end of great roles and a career diminishing sufficiently that he will soon be starring on television again.

Hon. Men.: Hook, Jumanji, World's Greatest Dad.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Keeping the modern and possibly unexpected going with Kevin Kline, an Oscar nominated, Tony award winner and quietly one of the better craftsman going. A few winners:

Sophie's Choice (1982): Kline's first film is one of his best roles, the emotionally fragile love interest of Meryl Streep's title character. I really hate this movie, but he's undeniably good in it.

Silverado (1985): a really engaging western that suffers from too many story lines and a weak villain, it's still one of my favorites in the genre and he's darn good in it as Padin, a sentimental gunslinger on a collision course with his former partner.

A Fish Called Wanda (1988): a terrific ensemble cast and a very funny movie. Kline is first rate as an ex CIA operative who manages to lampoon the worst of the ugly American spirit while setting up some of the funniest moments on film. :D

Dave (1993): a simplistic fairytale version of the more serious and better written American President, Dave is too charming and optimistic to dislike and Kline embodies the sentiment perfectly as the head of a temp agency who finds himself standing in for a dying president.

French Kiss (1995): his pairing with Meg Ryan didn't light up the box office, but I thought it was a charming tale and his role made it work, playing the black sheep of a French wine making family who finds love and a chance at redemption while helping a distraught expat find the love of her life, if not where she expected.

Life as a House (2001): a terrific dramatic turn as a man struggling to raise a house and reconcile himself to his family while dying on his feet.

Hon. Men.: his supporting role as Douglas Fairbanks in the flawed but noteworthy Chaplin (1992)

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
No Audrey Hepburn? :box:

It's early yet. I'm trying to attack this with a rough chronology. She'll make the list before the list is done, as will some relative newcomers. :cheers:

We shall wait patiently until you recognize the obvious beauty, talent, and all-around awesomeness of the iconic Ms. Hepburn. :plain:

audrey-hepburn-mark-shaw-3.jpg

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Keeping the modern and possibly unexpected going with Kevin Kline, an Oscar nominated, Tony award winner and quietly one of the better craftsman going. A few winners:

Sophie's Choice (1982): Kline's first film is one of his best roles, the emotionally fragile love interest of Meryl Streep's title character. I really hate this movie, but he's undeniably good in it.

Silverado (1985): a really engaging western that suffers from too many story lines and a weak villain, it's still one of my favorites in the genre and he's darn good in it as Padin, a sentimental gunslinger on a collision course with his former partner.

A Fish Called Wanda (1988): a terrific ensemble cast and a very funny movie. Kline is first rate as an ex CIA operative who manages to lampoon the worst of the ugly American spirit while setting up some of the funniest moments on film. :D

Dave (1993): a simplistic fairytale version of the more serious and better written American President, Dave is too charming and optimistic to dislike and Kline embodies the sentiment perfectly as the head of a temp agency who finds himself standing in for a dying president.

French Kiss (1995): his pairing with Meg Ryan didn't light up the box office, but I thought it was a charming tale and his role made it work, playing the black sheep of a French wine making family who finds love and a chance at redemption while helping a distraught expat find the love of her life, if not where she expected.

Life as a House (2001): a terrific dramatic turn as a man struggling to raise a house and reconcile himself to his family while dying on his feet.

Hon. Men.: his supporting role as Douglas Fairbanks in the flawed but noteworthy Chaplin (1992)

I always thought Kevin Kline looked like Errol Flynn!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Beyond the obvious physical beauty and humanitarian acclaim, Audrey Hepburn was, quietly, one of the shining lights of her age as an actress. Known for a purity and near fragile grace on the canvas of film, Hepburn was actually as tough as nails, in part because of her near starvation in the Netherlands during Nazi occupation. She spent much of her post film stardom light in some of the more dangerous and impoverished places on earth, fighting for children.

A few of my favorite films follow.

Roman Holiday (1953): a wonderful pairing of Hepburn, as a princess in need of a break from a rigidly controlled existence, and Gregory Peck, as the reporter intent on providing it, along with a first rate story for himself. It echose It Happened One Night in the best possible way, bittersweet ending notwithstanding. A classic.

Sabrina (1954): a smaller gem in the crown, it remains one of my favorites. The odd pairing of her with Humphry Bogart works for me. Bogart is the elder statesman of a rich family who believes what he needs is a business alliance built on the foundation of marriage between his younger, nere do well golden boy brother, played to the hilt by William Holden. What he actually needs is the humanity Hepburn's chauffeur's daughter, mooning over Holden in a way that threatens marriage and merger, can bring to the table. The result is a charming if unlikely comedy of intentional errors.

War and Peace (1957): Hepburn shows a deft touch for the tragic in this noteworthy retelling of the classic that includes a turn by Henry Fonda and Mel Ferrer, with Audrey taking the role of Natasha Pierre. One of the first roles to give the starlet her breakthrough due.

Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961): her iconic role as Holly Golightly in a romance of parts shouldn't really require anything from me. A great film, from score to direction to an ending at odds with its author, happily.

Charade (1963): It's a fine bit of Hitchcock with Hepburn playing the recently widowed and nefariously pursued inheritor of a great and hidden wealth. Men will kill for it. The only question is, will she die for it before she even knows what it is? Cary Grant plays the love interest who is more or less than meets the eye.

My Fair Lady (1964): arguably the greatest film she was a part of, her taking the role of Eliza Doolittle in place of Julie Andrews (then mostly unknown on screen though the star of the Broadway production) caused a bit of a backstage stir, especially given Hepburns lack of singing ability (that required a dub, unbeknownst to Audrey at the time, who gave it a game try). And there's some speculation that it was this that caused her to miss a best actress nod from the Academy. Regardless, she's terrific in it and her chemistry with Rex Harrison is as good as it gets.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I like the idea of alternating modern and classic, though I'm going to have to do better by the women as I move along. Not just yet though.

He began his career with bit, forgettable parts in nothing movies, before his star was hitched to two women and abs that drove the adoration of women of all ages over a cliff in Thelma and Louise, but Brad Pitt has turned into much more than a one note toss off. And here's a little of the proof.

A River Runs Through It: is the film where Brad earned serious consideration for giving a surprisingly (at the time) nuanced performance heavily influenced by his director, Robert Redford. The physical elements Pitt stole and over the rest of his career retained from Redford can't be undersold...but they work, so sue him.

Legends of the Fall: holds his own with great company as the troubled son of a heroic and powerful former war hero (Anthony Hopkins) who settles in the western wilderness to rear three boys (played by Adian Quinn, Pitt and Henry Thomas) away from the government and society in general...and how the world catches and shatters that dream. A flawed, but satisfying film that really only fails because of its need to mythologize Pitts character instead of follow him.

Seven and 12 Monkeys continue to develop his chops. In Seven he plays off two great actors (Spacey and Freeman) and feels upstaged for most of the film, but pulls off a remarkable ending that bleeds into the troubled, quirky and compelling performance he delivers in Monkeys, opposite of Bruce Willis. It's such a turn away from the romantic lead that it was even more startling as a choice.

Meet Joe Black: reunites with Hopkins in an underrated movie that failed mostly because it fell in love with one scene early and insisted on playing it out despite the impact the visual had on the time following it when we needed to be thinking about other things (the pointless "death" scene of the young lawyer before he's taken as a temporary vessel for the embodiment of death). Hopkins once again plays a wealthy scion and Pitt, after a novel fashion, plays his son, in essence, as the dying Hopkins is given a short reprieve from death to show that embodiment something of life. One of the best film scores ever and a fine film, if you ignore the traffic bit at the beginning or brace yourself for it going in.

Fight Club: I won't talk about Fight Club.

A lot of people swear by Troy and most people found the Ocean's series pleasant enough, some found the Benjamin Buttons film worth a look and I won't argue, but I don't see them as among his best.

What is and signals a turn in the sort of movies Pitt begins to consider is Inglourious Basterds. A brilliant war/fantasy film anchored by the quietly over the top performance of Pitt as Lt. Aldo Raine.

It's that film that leads him to Fury, his best work so far of what I've seen and I've seen most of his work. Pitt's Don 'Wardaddy' Collier is again the center of a war film that's good enough to make Shia LaBeouf likable for a moment.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Speaking of Pitt's mentor and one of the bridges between golden age and modern cinema, Robert Redford has had a fairly diverse and entertaining run and been surprisingly good in the last act.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid : yes it's a romanticized piece of vaguely historical narrative but it's also a very entertaining film, raindrops notwithstanding, pairing him with long time friend Paul Newman for one of two similarly engaging outings, though I omit The Sting, which while clever is the lesser of the two. This one is, as the title suggests, the story of two friends who like to rob banks together, fall for the same woman and meet their end in an oddly heroic fashion for criminals.

Three Days of the Condor : steeped in the paranoia of its day the circle of mistrust with governmental authority has come full circle to make this story more resonant than ever. It's the tale of a man who makes his living reading books for the CIA in an out of the way, disguised little office populated by a handful of similar individuals, likable and caught up in their fiction...until Redford's character goes out for lunch and comes back to find them slaughtered. The rest is a good "who dunnit and why" bit of film with Faye Dunnaway as a hostage turned compatriot, Cliff Robertson as a director who may not be much of a friend and Max von Sydow as an assassin with a heart of gold, which is what this movie purely is. :)

The Natural : one of the best mythological sports movies ever, with Redford as Roy Hobbs, a man whose tragic error in judgment leads to the end of a great baseball career that should have been. Hobbs strikes out a Ruthian slugger on his way to his professional career of inestimable promise only to be shot by a woman obsessed with taking the life of the best there is, before taking her own life. Her attempt leaves him badly hurt and disgraced, so the young man disappears into the mists of obscurity, forgotten even by the newsman (played by Robert Duvall) set to make him immortal. Hobbs reemerges years later, making one last attempt to redeem himself before time, Duvall, or the sinister corruption of an owner who has failing plans for his team can catch up with him. The rest is magic.

An Unfinished Life : with Morgan Freeman and a surprisingly good performance by Jennifer Lopez as the estranged daughter in law of a Wyoming rancher still bitter over her role in the death of his son. When she shows up on the run from an abusive boyfriend with a granddaughter he didn't know existed the stage is set for more than a few conflicts and resolutions. An able turn by Morgan as the best friend living in a small house on the property, where Redford's character tends him, feeling guilt over his part in Morgan's mauling at the hands of a bear "incarcerated" by a woman running an odd attraction in town. Great small movie.

Other noteworthy films I won't go into here include: Downhill Racer, The Candidate, All the President's Men, Jeremiah Johnson and The Great Gatsby.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Kevin Costner began his serious movie career as the suicide nobody ever actually saw in The Big Chill. But his visibility was inevitable and film is better for it. Here are a handful of my favorite of his films and some of the ones that I think cement his status as a film icon.

Silverado: a western that suffers from too many characters and one necessary but weakly played villain too many. Costner shines as a likable, childish but deadly gunslinger brother to an older brother (played by Scott Glenn) who has been released from prison after killing an important rancher. Along their way to Silverado the two meet a former Buffalo soldier (Danny Glover) who has a sticking point when it comes to injustice, a betrayed, half naked and dying cowboy (Kevin Kline) and a wagon train in need of rescue. It's a really good film before we even get to the charismatic villain sheriff (Brian Dennehy) who works for the son of the man Glenn killed in self defense.

No Way Out: Costner plays a naval rising star who has recently been appointed to assist the Secretary of Defense (Gene Hackman) at the Pentagon. Costner meets and begins an affair with a mysterious beauty who admits to being involved with another, older man. In short order, she ends up dead at the hands of the older man when he suspects her infidelity.

To protect the Secretary his minions concoct a story blaming the killing on a long suspected Soviet mole called "Yuri". Costner is put in charge of finding Yuri. One problem, the Secretary of Defense is the older man and Costner is now charged with chasing himself and tagging himself as the traitor Yuri, or finding the real murderer before his relationship is discovered. The ending is worth the wait. Good film.

Bull Durham: Costner's aging catcher put in charge of mentoring a kid with a million dollar arm and a five cent head while engaging a woman of substance at the end of her long summer is probably the best movie about baseball ever made. He's perfect in it.

Field of Dreams: if you don't know this story of redemption by now I pity you...at first blush it's about a man who hears a whisper in a cornfield and as an act of faith builds a baseball field on the promise that if he does so, "He will come." On one level it's a romance of baseball, but on a deeper level it's the story of a father and son and what will not stand between them. Maybe his most endearing film and it may end up being the most enduring of a solid career.

Dances With Wolves: a film classic about a man in need of redemption and how he finds it in the wilds of the old west.

Open Range: the best western since Unforgiven and one of my personal favorites. Has the best shootout I've seen on film and Costner as an aging second fiddle with a dark past that is driven to the surface by a villainous act. Robert Duvall shines as his boss and Annette Bening turns in one of her best performances as his love interest. Terrific work all around.

Hon. Men.: Draft Day, Dragonfly, Water World (yes, that one), JFK and The Untouchables.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Some actors and actresses radiate a likable and tender quality. It's rarer among the men, outside of comedians (like Robin Williams) and tends to be the province of character actors. Ben Kingsley has made a career of infusing or playing against that ability. Here are a few films of note, for one reason or another:

Gandhi: of course it all really began in the popular sense with this epic telling of the life of India's liberator and foremost pacifist. Like Lawrence of Arabia, it begins with a funeral. And like Lawrence, it tends to romanticize the lead. And it's a terrific film.

Without a Clue: one of the sweeter roles, with Kingsley cast in the role of John Watson to Michael Cain's Sherlock. But the twist here is that Watson is the brains of the operation and Sherlock is an actor (and a stupid one at that) playing a role devised by Watson. It's funny and uneven and worth your time. The ending is especially fine.

Searching For Bobby Fischer: his supportive role as the embittered teacher in need of a lesson from his budding prodigy is a memorable turn in a memorable film.

Schindler's List: Kingsley exudes a heart breaking moral solidity as Itzhak Stern, accountant, confessor and co conspirator with Schindler in his effort to save as many condemned Jews as he can while WWII rages on around them.

Sexy Beast: plays against type as an abhorrent, violent criminal character unmade by his own nature.

Honorable men.: Hugo, Dave, House of Sand and Fog

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Tots just got a new telly, a BIG telly, I was watching "The Big Country" on it

Some memorable scenes in TBC and how about that theme music?

"you keep pressin' me, don't you press me no more"

When Rufus gatecrashes the party....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you a small selection of my favorite films by Tom Hanks, a man often called this era's Jimmy Stewart, both because of his amiable screen persona/quality and because of his career arc from comedy/fantasy into serious and darker roles.

1. Splash: the movie that, popularly speaking, started it all. Though this reinvention of the Princess Bride wasn't a runaway hit by today's standards, being more important to the studios for returning 69 mil domestically on a mere 8 mil budget, it did come in tenth in domestic attendance that year. Critics loved it and America's attention was firmly fixed on the new romantic comedy lead.

2. Big: came just in time to save Hanks from a spate of uneven failures (The Man With One Red Shoe, The Money Pit, Dragnet, Volunteers) and relaunch a suddenly faltering career. More fantasy than romantic comedy (excepting a vaguely uncomfortable side bar that would play rapey these days) it was a broader hit than Splash in every sense and the tale of a boy who gets to do more than play grown up for a while cemented Americas continued fascination with Hanks.

3. Sleepless in Seattle: followed yet another slew of movies that would have stalled a lesser actor's career (Bonfire, Joe vs, Turner and Hooch, The Burbs). This purely romantic comedy about a man in mourning and the son attempting to rescue them both by finding romance for his dad was a huge commercial success and received mostly good notice from the critics.

4. Philadelphia Story: whatever your opinion of the subject, the inarguable fact is that Hanks stunned with a sudden dramatic turn that put a very human face on an inhuman amount of suffering and death that was raging through the American landscape of the 1990s. His portrayal of a wunderkind attorney struggling with AIDs and the social death preceding the literal one marked his arrival as an actor entire.

5. Forrest Gump: Hanks blended the dramatic and comedic in this peculiar film about an extraordinary man caught up in extraordinary times. Though it's flawed from excess and hasn't traveled as well as most of what surrounds it, Gump was the icing on the popular cake for Hanks, the pinnacle of his success with the American public, later successes of both the popular and critical variety notwithstanding.

6. Apollo 13: my personal favorite of his films, chronicling the real life catastrophic and heroic story of the lunar mission that was Apollo 13 and how a handful of men managed the impossible. Part of what calls to me in this film is the nature of the world it touches upon, far below the drama...a world so different from the one we live through today that Hindu and Muslim and Christian and Jew and people of goodwill across that space and span looked upward and prayed and hoped after the fate of three men, three American strangers.

7. Saving Private Ryan: one of the best, most moving and gut wrenchingly unblinking looks at the reality of war. Hanks is astounding in his portrayal of a man given life and death responsibility, holding onto his men and his sanity by an act of sheer will. It would be, to date, his finest bit of acting, nuanced and evocative.

8. Cast Away: the easiest way to summarize how good Hanks had become by this point in his career is to recall how anyone who saw the film felt when Wilson floated away. A brilliant job in a film whose only fault is in leaving the island too early. A downbeat final act undoes much of the magic of the film, but it's still worth watching.

Hon. Men.: Toy Stories, Road to Perdition, Captain Phillips

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
See all of them in six minutes or so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZWLWxpBv5g

;)

Few major actors excel at not taking themselves too seriously as does Mr. Hanks.

AMR
A friend of mine was in charge of the Palms' MPs while they were working on one of his films...Apollo I believe. Said he'd stop and shoot the breeze with the guys at the gate and bring food occasionally. Didn't have the privileged attitude at all. Made a great impression.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I love movies. I've been a fan of film as long as I can remember. I suppose my earliest memory would be The Wizard of Oz. I saw it on a black and white television. When I saw it again a year or so later on a color television I'm told I was very upset. :D

Anyway, those of you who've been around a while know I created a movie star game. The foundation of it was that a movie star needed three seminal films remembered indefinitely. This thread will be a little more expansive. I'm going to go through a list of movie stars and my favorite films from the star, ones I hope you've seen or will at some point.

INDEX by post number (linked):

1. Cary Grant

2. Ronald Coleman

3. Jimmy Stewart

4. Spencer Tracy

5. Katharine Hepburn

6. Clark Gable

7. John Wayne

8. Gary Cooper

9. Robbin Williams

10. Kevin Kline

11. Audrey Hepburn