Am I saved from the Christian point of view?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Well I'm sure glad that God doesn't believe that.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.​
(John 3:17 KJV)
You're stupid.

I mean, seriously, that was maybe the stupidest thing I've seen posted on this website (that wasn't posted in the UFO thread) in two years time.

The reason God sent His Son to die is precisely because the whole human race deserves to be separated from God and He needed a fix for that problem if He desired to have the relationship with them that He created them for.

Do yourself a favor and don't disagree with someone just for the sake of disagreement. If you don't have something intelligent to say, keep your attempts to be clever to yourself.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.​
(Matthew 5:44-45 KJV)
Take passages out of context much?

Besides, acknowledging the existence of an enemy, or more accurately in the case, someone who is on the side of the enemy, is just an acknowledgment of the truth. There isn't anything unloving about stating the truth.

Also, the very same Person who you quoted in chapter 5 of Matthew's gospel said, in chapter 7....

Matthew 7:6 “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.

And in Luke's gospel....

Luke 19:27 But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.’ ”

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
But by his own choosing, no?
NO!

Adam didn't just leave, he was cast out of the Garden so that he couldn't eat of the Tree of Life and then God put guards at the Garden's entrance to keep him out of there. Seems like he was forced out to me. He certainly did not have a choice about it, that much is certain.

Of course, all that happened as a result of his choice to eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil but I doubt that's what you meant here. Although, you're sort of all over the place so I could be wrong. Maybe that's what you were attempting to say. Maybe using more than single sentences to make your point would be helpful.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I thought it was descriptive of circumcision, although it's used more so for "shunning."

Then Zipporah took a sharp stone, and cut off the foreskin of her son, and cast it at his feet, and said, Surely a bloody husband art thou to me.​
(Exodus 4:25 KJV)

Whatsoever soul it be that eateth any manner of blood, even that soul shall be cut off from his people.​
(Leviticus 7:27 KJV)

From the first answer on this page:

Exd 31:14 Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.
Exd 31:15 Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Lev 23:29 For whatsoever soul it be that shall not be afflicted in that same day, he shall be cut off from among his people.
Lev 23:30 And whatsoever soul it be that doeth any work in that same day, the same soul will I destroy from among his people.

Jdg 21:6 And the children of Israel repented them for Benjamin their brother, and said, There is one tribe cut off from Israel this day.
In context, "cut off from Israel" means the complete extinction of the tribe.

1Ki 14:10 Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel, and will take away the remnant of the house of Jeroboam, as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone.
1Ki 15:29 And it came to pass, when he reigned, that he smote all the house of Jeroboam; he left not to Jeroboam any that breathed, until he had destroyed him, according unto the saying of the LORD, which he spake by his servant Ahijah the Shilonite.

1Ki 21:21 Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,
2Ki 9:8 For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel:
2Ki 9:9 And I will make the house of Ahab like the house of Jeroboam the son of Nebat, and like the house of Baasha the son of Ahijah
2Ki 10:17 And when he came to Samaria, he slew all that remained unto Ahab in Samaria, till he had destroyed him, according to the saying of the LORD, which he spake to Elijah.
2Ki 10:30 And the LORD said unto Jehu, Because thou hast done well in executing that which is right in mine eyes, and hast done unto the house of Ahab according to all that was in mine heart, thy children of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel.

Maybe I'm just easily confused, but if the prodigal son was dead to his father, I doubt he would have waited at the gate every day.

And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.​
(Luke 15:20 KJV)

Missing the point.

Why? Christians think their sins were paid for.

That payment isn't applied until one becomes a Christian. Newsflash, most humans aren't Christians.

Why do you try to make forgiveness superfluous?

garyflet

Many thanks, JudgeRightly, for your straightforward reply. It has considerably reduced my confusion.
Paul said, "the wages of sin is death," and, "all have sinned," therefore "as in Adam all die." Adam was told by God, regarding the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, "in the day you eat of it, you shall surely die." God wasn't lying. The day Adam ate the fruit, he did indeed die, but he lived for another 930 years. Likewise, when any of Adam's descendants sin, we die, because we have partaken of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, and the law has killed us, for "the law (the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil) kills."

None of this is talking about physical death.
This is very clear and unorthodox. I had never heard of this interpretation, that Adam and Eve eating the fruit was not the cause of their physical death. It does seem that as long as they didn't eat the fruit, they would not physically die.
Adam was cast out of the garden because he broke God's law, he sinned. He was cut off from having a relationship with God.

He was, like the prodigal son was to his father, dead.

That's spiritual death.
Very interesting. I was thinking that when you were talking about spiritual death, you were only talking about the torments of hell.
Physical death, on the other hand, is the consequence of Adam's sin, which in being cut off from the Garden of Eden, was also cut off from the Tree of Life, which, as far as I can tell, was what would restore the human body from the effects of entropy on the human body. Those effects are the cause of most physical death, while the rest is due, directly or indirectly, due to spiritual death.
The effects of entropy? So physical death is not the direct result of sin. I think you mean that the physical process would not occur without sin: Prior to the sin, entropy does not take effect because everything ate from the Tree of Live, so when they were barred from Eden, and couldn't eat from the Tree, their sin brought entropy into the world and that brought mortality. So their sin brought about mortality.

Someone who deserves, ie who is worthy of, spiritual death, ie those who have sinned, does not NECESSARILY deserve to be physically killed. Big difference.
But did they deserved mortality? Clete said no. But if they did not deserve mortality, then why would God make it so? God is in complete control here: He could have punished them with spiritual death alone but not added mortality. In other words, it doesn't seem that God would have given them more punishment than they deserved. God is just.

I wrote: "Thus [JudgeRightly's] statement is that I'm in the same position as a person that deserves (as far as society can determine) and is about to be physically killed. And the only reason I'm not in the grave already is because of God's mercy, not because I deserve to live!"

I am NOT talking about physical death, despite me using a physical example of death.
Thanks for your discussion on your statement. My jaw hit the floor when I read that although in your statement you're using a phrase associated with a condemned man and one about the grave, you're actually talking about spiritual death😮!

The grave you are not already in is not talking about the physical grave, where your body is buried 6 feet underground.
No, the grave here is Hell.

The only reason you're not in Hell ("the grave") already is because God is merciful. You DON'T deserve to live (spiritually), because you have indeed broken God's laws.
So using the debt analogy in your statement, I owe a debt because I sinned. As long as I owe the debt, I'm spiritually dead. But I've been given a reprieve and don't have to pay the debt right away. Paying the debt involves physical death (and going to hell), but since I have a reprieve I'm not obligated right now, I don't deserve physical death yet. Of course, the other way to get out of debt is to accept Christ as Savior.

I must say, your answers are clear and I feel like I'm closer than ever to understanding what you are saying. Prior to this note, I was getting one understanding from your statement and other meanings from other comments. Now I see the consistency.

Also it would seem that no one gets a reprieve indefinitely, that is, we are mortal. So it would seem that the condition of mortality is a result of sin, and since we have sinned, we deserve to be mortal. This is the common understanding of the consequence of Adam and Eve's eating the fruit and our own sins. Romans 5:12 "Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death came through sin, and so death spread to all because all have sinned..." Even Clete said that Paul was "not merely speaking about physical death" here. That means physical death was included in the statement. Of course, Paul doesn't mean that everyone should physically die immediately, death spread to all in that all are mortal.

So at last maybe I understand the statement in Clete's list:
  • We, having willfully done evil things and rebelled against God, who gave us life, deserve death.
The word "death" refers to spiritual death, mortality and being thrown into hell after physical death. And the word "life" means physical and spiritual life and not being in hell, but we die spiritually when we sin.
Start a new thread.
I might just do that.

Thanks a lot,
Gary

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I forgot to address this in my post:

As far as saying how unjust God is, I never said that. I said that it's hard to understand how a punishment of eternal torment is proportional to the small number of sins one can commit in a finite lifetime. You can't hurt someone else for eternity, you can't hurt God for eternity.

The reason that the punishment is eternal is because sin has eternal consequences.

When you sin, not only do you affect yourself, you also affect the people around you, and not only them, but the people around them as well, and the people around those people, and because God designed humans to live forever...

This is very clear and unorthodox. I had never heard of this interpretation, that Adam and Eve eating the fruit was not the cause of their physical death. It does seem that as long as they didn't eat the fruit, they would not physically die.

It was the cause, just not the direct cause.

Very interesting. I was thinking that when you were talking about spiritual death, you were only talking about the torments of hell.

Eternal separation from God is what we call "hell/the lake of fire."

The effects of entropy? So physical death is not the direct result of sin.

Physical death is the result of things breaking down over time (entropy). Lack of access to the Tree of Life is why humans have broken down so much over time. The lack of access to the Tree of Life is the result of Adam's sin.

I think you mean that the physical process would not occur without sin: Prior to the sin, entropy does not take effect because everything ate from the Tree of Live, so when they were barred from Eden, and couldn't eat from the Tree, their sin brought entropy into the world and that brought mortality. So their sin brought about mortality.

No. Entropy was not caused by sin. Rather, its effects on the human body were counteracted by the Tree of Life.

But did they deserved mortality? Clete said no.

Clete answered this.

But if they did not deserve mortality, then why would God make it so?

Because God is just, and rebelling against the Life-Giver results in death, it's the very reason God kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden, so that they couldn't get around the punishment for rebelling against Him!

God is in complete control here: He could have punished them with spiritual death alone but not added mortality. In other words, it doesn't seem that God would have given them more punishment than they deserved. God is just.

Supra.

I wrote: "Thus [JudgeRightly's] statement is that I'm in the same position as a person that deserves (as far as society can determine) and is about to be physically killed. And the only reason I'm not in the grave already is because of God's mercy, not because I deserve to live!"

Thanks for your discussion on your statement. My jaw hit the floor when I read that although in your statement you're using a phrase associated with a condemned man and one about the grave, you're actually talking about spiritual death😮!

I'm not sure why that's so surprising to you. The entire Bible is written as a criminal justice textbook!

So using the debt analogy in your statement, I owe a debt because I sinned. As long as I owe the debt, I'm spiritually dead. But I've been given a reprieve and don't have to pay the debt right away. Paying the debt involves physical death (and going to hell), but since I have a reprieve I'm not obligated right now, I don't deserve physical death yet. Of course, the other way to get out of debt is to accept Christ as Savior.

The "reprieve" is to allow you to cement your decision. Either live with God forever, or live apart from God forever.

I must say, your answers are clear and I feel like I'm closer than ever to understanding what you are saying. Prior to this note, I was getting one understanding from your statement and other meanings from other comments. Now I see the consistency.

Also it would seem that no one gets a reprieve indefinitely, that is, we are mortal.

Correct.

So it would seem that the condition of mortality is a result of sin, and since we have sinned, we deserve to be mortal. This is the common understanding of the consequence of Adam and Eve's eating the fruit and our own sins. Romans 5:12 "Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death came through sin, and so death spread to all because all have sinned..." Even Clete said that Paul was "not merely speaking about physical death" here. That means physical death was included in the statement. Of course, Paul doesn't mean that everyone should physically die immediately, death spread to all in that all are mortal.

• We, having willfully done evil things and rebelled against God, who gave us life, deserve death.
The word "death" refers to spiritual death, mortality and being thrown into hell after physical death. And the word "life" means physical and spiritual life and not being in hell, but we die spiritually when we sin.

You still have a decision to make. Will you accept Christ as your Savior? Or will you reject Him who loved you enough to die for you?

Rhema

You're stupid.
How wonderfully erudite. I'll be sure to remind myself of that when your opinion counts.

The reason God sent His Son to die is precisely because the whole human race deserves to be separated from God
The reason God sent His Son to die is precisely because the whole human race DOES NOT deserve to be separated from God, which is why God provided a "fix" (a path so that they would no longer be separated.)

Again, we might be separated from God, but we do not DESERVE to be, which is why God provided a way for us to not be separated.

Else, God is going against what we "deserve." (And that seems a bit backward, since God is the final arbitrator of what is deserved or not, no?)

If you don't have something intelligent to say, keep your attempts to be clever to yourself.
I will remind myself of that when you start to matter.

Kindly,
Rhema

Rhema

Take passages out of context much?
Never.

Also, the very same Person who you quoted in chapter 5 of Matthew's gospel said, in chapter 7....

Matthew 7:6 “Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces.
I wasn't aware that dogs and swine were your enemies. (Do battle much with pigs?)

And in Luke's gospel....

Luke 19:27 But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.’ ”
That passages seems rather self evident as a later scribal addition. The Greek reads all wrong.

But thanks for playing.
Rhema

Rhema

Of course, all that happened as a result of his choice to eat of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil but I doubt that's what you meant here.
That's exactly what I meant. Boy, you're sure having troubles figuring things out lately.

marke

The reason God sent His Son to die is precisely because the whole human race DOES NOT deserve to be separated from God, which is why God provided a "fix" (a path so that they would no longer be separated.)

Again, we might be separated from God, but we do not DESERVE to be, which is why God provided a way for us to not be separated.
Else, God is going against what we "deserve." (And that seems a bit backward, since God is the final arbitrator of what is deserved or not, no?)
The ungodly wrongly believe God is the cause of their sin and problems, not themselves or Adam. The ungodly are foolish. Cain slew Abel out of envy but then complained to God that punishment for his sin was unfair. How stupid was that?

Genesis 4:13
And Cain said unto the Lord, My punishment is greater than I can bear.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
How wonderfully erudite. I'll be sure to remind myself of that when your opinion counts.
No, you wont.

You're both stupid and a fool and almost certainly not saved. If mankind didn't deserve to be separated from God, then there was no need for Jesus to die. You have openly denied the gospel and until I have reason to believe otherwise, I will presume you to be an unbeliever.

This is only partially true. The curse caused by Adam's sin was removed yes but that's as far as that much of it goes, which is no small thing and is why Paul could rightly say that he was "alive once". However, all have sinned and separated themselves from God (i.e. died).

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,​
Romans 7:9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died.​

Calvary was at least as much about fixing this situation as it was about fixing that which was caused by Adam. If you doubt it, you are not saved and will pay your own sin debt, which is death.

God is no arbiter. Which is to say that He is not arbitrary. God cannot simply declare someone righteous and pretend like no wrong doing has been committed. If He were to do so, it would be God Himself performing the wrong doing. God is Justice itself. His judgments are just. Meaning that whatever you get from God will be precisely what justice demands. No more, no less. The only exceptions are those who's sins are washed away by the blood (i.e. the willingly sacrificed life) of God the Son, who died so that those who respond to Him in faith do not have to.

I will remind myself of that when you start to matter.

Kindly,
Rhema
Not so "kindly", you foolish hypocrite! And no, you won't.

Don't think I say what I say for your benefit. I do not know you and do not care what you think - at all - least of all about me or anything I say. I am not so foolish as the believe that anything I say (or probably anything anyone says) would move you an inch off your doctrine.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
That's exactly what I meant. Boy, you're sure having troubles figuring things out lately.
I respond directly to what is written in the post, not what I attempt to read into what you've written. Misunderstandings are common when lazy fools can't be bothered to write more than single sentence responses.

garyflet

I forgot to address this in my post:

The reason that the punishment is eternal is because sin has eternal consequences.

When you sin, not only do you affect yourself, you also affect the people around you, and not only them, but the people around them as well, and the people around those people, and because God designed humans to live forever...
Well, here we just have to "agree to disagree". I just cannot accept the idea that stealing a cookie from the cookie jar is worthy of eternal torment. Clete may also say that I'm saying that God is unjust, but no, I'm saying that God would never do such an absurd and unnecessarily cruel thing. But as Clete has pointed out, my opinion doesn't matter, so no discussion is necessary on this subject. Your response I've quoted here, JudgeRightly, sounds like the best argument to be made for your position.

Clete answered the question of whether humans deserved mortality with a "No", in note #135:
No. They deserve to be separated from God. A point I've already explained quite clearly.
But when I said that Clete answered the question with a "No", Clete responded in note #147:

No, you said that, I didn't.
Clete quotes me as saying, "God is in complete control here: He could have punished them with spiritual death alone but not added mortality. In other words, it doesn't seem that God would have given them more punishment than they deserved. God is just." And then says,
You answer your own question!
So in note #147, Clete is implicitly answering the question with a "Yes".

Judgerightly comes to the rescue to resolve the ambiguity in note #148:
Clete answered this.
Yes, but do I take the explicit answer "No", of not #135, or the implicit answer "Yes" of note #147? I'll tell you what, I'll take the implicit answer "Yes" of note #147, because that's the later note and because in the next responses in note #148, JudgeRightly is giving a "Yes". He even quotes me as saying, "Yes", and responds with a completely unambiguous, "Supra"!

Also I'll take the final answer to be "Yes", because no one corrected me on the following part of note #146:
Hooray! Finally I understand what you are saying! Pop the champagne🍾!

garyflet

I found a short video (less than 6 minutes) with a nice young Christian man explaining the meaning of the word "death" in the Bible. In six minutes, he touches on many of the subjects of this entire thread! It is interesting to me because he agrees with some things I have been saying. Of course, there must be much more detailed arguments on the web somewhere arguing his point of view, if you know of some good ones, I'd be interested. His own website, doesn't seem very detailed.

Thanks,
Gary