Am I saved from the Christian point of view?

Rhema

In other words, no, you don't know how to resolve it.
Ohhhh and here I thought we weren't playing the game of putting words into the mouths of others.

I know of three or four various "solutions' but you seemed so eager (with hand up and waiving) to give your answer, that I sat on the edge of my seat to say "Do tell." (And here I thought you'd tell me.) But alas. Instead of enlightening us, it would seem your question was just to denigrate me. I find that sad.

Here's how I know: because your theology does not rightly divide God's word.
Which word of God? There are two Word of God(s).... The RHEMA/Word of God or the Logos/Word of God? (And just to note, there exists no phrase the GRAPHOS/Word of God.) So which Word of God is it that my theology has not rightly divided?

But wow, such an all encompassing judgment upon my theology about which you truly know so little.
Or is that your defacto viewpoint of Everyone?

My apologies that I don't yet have the secret decoder ring to decipher what you mean by "rightly divide." But it is clearly a fundamental shibboleth for you.

Do tell.

Rhema

Rhema

OT verses that he uses to point out to the Jews that even they, with the Law, are guilty before God and need the Redeemer as much as the Gentiles.
In the days of King Herod of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly order of Abijah. His wife was a descendant of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. Both of them were righteous before God, living blamelessly according to all the commandments and regulations of the Lord.​
(Luke 1:5-6 NRSV)

They were or they weren't.
(I'll let you decide.)

Regards,
Rhema

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I know of three or four various "solutions'

Then why didn't you just answer honestly and say, "I know of three or four various 'solutions.' They are...." and then list the solutions you know of?

Usually when someone asks a question, they expect an answer.

your question

Clearly not paying attention.

Hoping

Banned
In the days of King Herod of Judea, there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly order of Abijah. His wife was a descendant of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. Both of them were righteous before God, living blamelessly according to all the commandments and regulations of the Lord.​
(Luke 1:5-6 NRSV)

They were or they weren't.
(I'll let you decide.)

Regards,
Rhema
"...blamelessly according to the Law..."
That would entail offering the correct sacrifices for their sins.
And the scripture doesn't mention how they lived ten or twenty years ago.
The Law couldn't make people perfectly sinless like the resurrection of Christ can.
Thanks be to God !

Rhema

Then why didn't you just answer honestly
Why do people here like to accuse others of being dishonest?
Your reply (as worded) expressed an eagerness from you to post your views.
That's why I wrote "Do tell."

Usually when someone asks a question, they expect an answer.
In common parlance, your words indicated a challenge.
And I'm really not one to engage in verbal combat.

Thanks kindly,
Rhema

Clearly not paying attention.
And you still haven't "do tell'd"
Guess I'll wait to hear your views.

Rhema

"...blamelessly according to the Law..."
That would entail offering the correct sacrifices for their sins.
And the scripture doesn't mention how they lived ten or twenty years ago.
The Law couldn't make people perfectly sinless like the resurrection of Christ can.
Thanks be to God !
I'm not quite sure I understand.
They were either righteous before God or not.

But you underlined the phrase "according to the Law"

Yet the text doesn't even say that in the KJV -
And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.​
(Luke 1:6 KJV)

Might I ask which translation you use? Because neither Greek text I use has the word "LAW."

And I am curious why you would change the words.

Kind regards,
Rhema

But I fear we have departed from the OP, so shall not respond to replies in this thread.
(Sorry.)

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Oddly enough, there are many Christians that believe Justice and Mercy are opposing attributes. I've often wondered why many Evangelicals cannot see the Mercies of God AS being Just
It's because almost no one knows what justice is - including you, it would seem...

- that the Father in His Gracious Mercies is somehow not Just when He grants Forgiveness out of His own compassion. Indeed, I think this is what Jesus was trying to address... that "Justice" as understood by the human mind is nothing like the Justice of God.
Blasphemy!

God is just - period!

God is not merciful "out of His own compassion" as though He has the option of simply ignoring sin. It is out of His own suffering that God can be merciful. It is precisely because God was NOT merciful to His own Son that makes it possible for Him to be merciful to us while remaining just. It is Christ and His suffering and death that ballances the scales of justice, not some arbitrary whim of compassion on God's part.

You need to do yourself a favor and drop the notion of "understood by the human mind" as some catch-all bin for doctrines we want to believe but can't make any sense of. There is NO SUCH THING as an irrational truth. Contradictions do not exist in reality. If you think you've found one, check your premises! You'll find that one of them is wrong.

Also, accept the righteousness and justice (same thing) of God as axiomatic. Reject any doctrine that contradicts it as the falsehood that it is.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hi Clete,

Well, I'm afraid that to come to this forum pretending to be very knowledgeable about hell or the Bible in general would be an even bigger pretense!
That may be. It is also irrelevant.

I don't think that there was any place that I pretended to know very little about hell in this thread.
The entire thread is still here for the whole world to read, Gary.

But I am largely self-taught, which means there are going to be gaps in what I know. Also, the subject is something I'm obviously interested in, so I'm interested in different points of view, different opinions on hell.
It's more than a passing interest. It's your pet doctrine. It is the excuse you use to reject Christianity.

Actually, I've only recently been reading about the time when the Jews began writing about hell and heaven, things I didn't know when I started this thread!
Why would anyone care about the time when the Jews began writing about hell and heaven?

For example, some of the verses from Jeremiah that I quoted came from this book and Wikipedia. Maybe you could say I'm a Wikipedia level "expert". I don't know Greek, and I believe I mentioned that. Further, I'm learning things, and sometimes you seem shocked that I don't know something. I had never been taught or heard or read that Jesus' sacrifice was infinite (that I can recall).
It's no surprise. It seems that everything you were taught about Christianity wasn't biblical Christianity at all. You were taught Calvinism. Calvinists call themselves Christians but the ones that are actually saved, are so in spite of the mountain of false doctrine that is Calvinism.

That was one of the many things I learned on this thread. How can I be any kind of an expert on Christian beliefs? So yes, I am getting my information from someone else in the form of books and the internet, but no, there is no other person whispering in my ear. Everything I write here is my responsibility alone.
Very well. I can live with that. You should understand then that there are folks here, myself included, that might know just a tad bit more about what the bible teaches than the atheists your reading and most certainly than whatever you're finding on Wikipedia, of all places.

As for me, my doctrine is based on God's quality. That is, my foundational presuppositions have to do with the fact that God is living, personal, rational, relational, righteous and just. Any doctrinal position that contradicts these qualitative attributes of God are false - by definition. This includes any ideas that someone might or might not have about the nature of Hell, which is, at best, a matter of some considerable speculation and debate even among those who love God and accept Christ as their savior from that very Hell. As such, anyone who rejects Christianity, and thereby rejects Christ, on the basis of someone's ideas about what Hell is going to be like is a fool who makes eternal decisions based on next to nothing of substance.

Clete

Last edited:

Rhema

God is not merciful "out of His own compassion"
Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.​
(Matthew 18:27 KJV)

But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.​
(Matthew 12:7 KJV)

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.​
(Matthew 23:23 KJV)

The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.​
(Psalms 145:8 KJV)

Hoping

Banned
I'm not quite sure I understand.
They were either righteous before God or not.
But you underlined the phrase "according to the Law"
Do you recall Paul's reference to the Law's righteousness, in Phil 3:9?
Righteousness according to the Law pales in comparison the to righteousness by faith in Christ Jesus.
Yet the text doesn't even say that in the KJV -
And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.​
(Luke 1:6 KJV)
True, but didn't "the ordinances" include days of atonement and sacrifices for sins?
By adhering to the ordinances, OT men could be called righteous after their atonements.
Might I ask which translation you use? Because neither Greek text I use has the word "LAW."
KJV.
I wasn't quoting a scripture, but condensing a thought into the mix.
And I am curious why you would change the words.
Were not the "commandments and ordinances" of the Law?
Kind regards,
Rhema
But I fear we have departed from the OP, so shall not respond to replies in this thread.
(Sorry.)
That's cool.
There is always the PM system if you want to ask more questions.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.​
(Matthew 18:27 KJV)

But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.​
(Matthew 12:7 KJV)

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.​
(Matthew 23:23 KJV)

The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy.​
(Psalms 145:8 KJV)
I didn't say that God wasn't compassionate, slow to anger or merciful. What I said is that God isn't any of those things based on some sort of arbitrary whim at the expense of justice, as your post clearly implied and that you clearly believe.

I just reread my post and I don't believe that there is any way that you could have misunderstood my point.

Care to respond to the actual point I made or is quoting bible verses that no one disagrees with all you've got?

Last edited:

marke

Hi Everyone, my question is whether or not I am saved. I was raised as a Christian Fundamentalist and believed the doctrine without question as a small child. I learned all about Jesus, etc. I also learned about hell, that it was an eternal punishment to be avoided at any cost. All I needed to do was ask Jesus into my heart to be my Lord and Savior. The trouble was, I felt no different after doing that. In church, we would sing songs about how very much we loved Jesus and how much joy He brought us. But if I was honest with myself, I didn't really love Jesus that much, and I wasn't feeling much joy. I wasn't following the commandment that Jesus said was most important. I didn't even like going to church. Was I really saved? If I made a mistake and ended up in hell, there would be no mercy, no matter how much I begged and pleaded, and I would be stuck for all eternity. So I asked Jesus to come into my heart and be my Lord and Savior, over and over again. However, I never felt anything really positive from it. I didn't speak to anyone about this out of shame. When I was about 12, I read a tract that said that feelings were like a caboose on a train. Just like a train doesn't have to have a caboose, so a Christian didn't need to feel anything to be saved. I just continued to be tormented by the situation. (This was at a time when we were told to "witness" to others. I felt like other kids were, in general, happier, more confident than I was!) Eventually, perhaps about the time I turned 14, I began to think about it more independently, and decided that I didn't believe the Christianity I had been raised in. It was a tremendous relief and I have never recovered my faith! On the other hand, my church believed in "eternal security". Once you accepted Christ as your Savior, you are in, and bound for heaven, no matter what you believe or do from that time forward. I'm curious about what Christians here might say. Am I saved? Thanks for any thoughtful replies.
Christians find forgiveness for their sins and a new life in Christ as a result of seeking God until God is found, so to speak. If you doubt whether you have been saved then just keep seeking Him for forgiveness and enlightenment, reading the Bible for guidance, until He gives you salvation or assurance.

marke

Hoping,

Thanks for reading my emails and responding. I didn't understand your statement, "Salvation will not be assured for anyone until the day of judgement, so your worries are unfounded." The fact that everyone has this huge sword of Damocles hanging over them, means I should have had no worries about the huge sword hanging over me? I didn't want to go to hell, given the description: (Matthew 13:40-42). At any rate, your answer tells me that my fear of hell was well-founded and that I was right to feel tormented by fear as a child by the Christian teachings.
Christians can know they are saved before they leave this life, if they diligently seek God and seek to please Him by obeying His instructions.

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may believe in the name of the Son of God.

Hoping

Banned
Christians can know they are saved before they leave this life, if they diligently seek God and seek to please Him by obeying His instructions.

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may believe in the name of the Son of God.
Will today's belief last until tomorrow?

garyflet

The entire thread is still here for the whole world to read, Gary.
That's good.
It's more than a passing interest. It's your pet doctrine. It is the excuse you use to reject Christianity.
It is more than a passing interest, I would agree with that. I would rather not go into all the reasons I don't accept many of the truth claims of conservative Protestantism, nor other forms of Christianity, nor other religions, etc. And I'm sure you wouldn't want to hear all that anyway!
Why would anyone care about the time when the Jews began writing about hell and heaven?
Well, I'm sorry I mentioned that. I don't want us to get distracted from the main issues.
It's no surprise. It seems that everything you were taught about Christianity wasn't biblical Christianity at all. You were taught Calvinism. Calvinists call themselves Christians but the ones that are actually saved, are so in spite of the mountain of false doctrine that is Calvinism.
Good thing I'm asking you questions! Of course, I might not agree with every one of your interpretations of the Bible, but you're not interested in my opinion anyway, so no need to talk about that.
Very well. I can live with that. You should understand then that there are folks here, myself included, that might know just a tad bit more about what the bible teaches than the atheists your reading and most certainly than whatever you're finding on Wikipedia, of all places.
Obviously you know more than I do about your own beliefs and especially how you process them emotionally!
As for me, my doctrine is based on God's quality. That is, my foundational presuppositions have to do with the fact that God is living, personal, rational, relational, righteous and just. Any doctrinal position that contradicts these qualitative attributes of God are false - by definition. This includes any ideas that someone might or might not have about the nature of Hell, which is, at best, a matter of some considerable speculation and debate even among those who love God and accept Christ as their savior from that very Hell. As such, anyone who rejects Christianity, and thereby rejects Christ, on the basis of someone's ideas about what Hell is going to be like is a fool who makes eternal decisions based on next to nothing of substance.
This aspect of your beliefs is very clear. But here's a (1)question whose answer isn't as clear: At one point you mentioned that children don't need to be saved. I think was because they might have no knowledge of good and evil. But when I was struggling with fear of hell I was maybe 9 years old, and I certainly knew what actions I needed to do to make me a good or bad kid. So wouldn't I need to be saved? Also you when we were discussing rebelling against God, you wrote that little babies have a conception of God. Is it possible to have a conception of God and not have knowledge of good and evil? Sounds like Adam and Eve! Yet, even without knowledge of good and evil, they rebelled against God and ate the fruit. Then came death.

Here's a (2)question I asked previously, but I think there was some distraction before it got answered. It gets back to the statement about everyone deserving death. Do Christians believe that only intellectually or does it include real life or death situations? For example, if you accidentally ran over somebody while driving a semi, crushing them causing instant death, you wouldn't remain calm and say to yourself, "Well, she deserved to die anyway." No, you might even go into shock! Isn't that because you don't really believe that the person deserved to die? On the contrary, I'm not at all upset if someone I really believed deserved to die, is killed. For example, didn't bother me in the slightest when Osama Bin Laden was killed. Do you really have that same belief about everyone?

Another(3) question based stemming from the doctrine that everyone deserves to die because they have sinned, they have rebelled against God.
Everyone deserved death because of sin. I assume that everyone also deserves old age because of sin. Now for Christians have had all their sins forgiven, so why do they suffer old age and death just like someone who hasn't had their sins forgiven?

Then there's the question(4) about how Christians emotionally handle the idea that billions, most of humanity, will end up suffering for eternity, with no recourse. It would seem that that ending would be incredibly depressing. However, Clete has given an answer: God loves everyone living, but at the moment an unsaved person dies, God's love ceases. Does that mean that a Christian's sorrow at the death of a loved one should also cease immediately? Or any attempt to remember the dead non-Christian should be discouraged? Is it possible for God or a Christian to turn of their emotions so easily?

There's the age old question(5) about why people who have never been taught much or at all about Jesus, why don't they get the opportunity to save themselves? I asked Hoping about all the Muslims, who would have little exposure to Christianity, which rejects Muhammad as a prophet. Hoping says, "If they really wanted God in their lives, God would have made Himself known to them, just as He did for the Christians who wanted God in their lives." So God just sort of writes off billions of living people who seem to think they are following God's will, but really don't want God in their lives. Of course, the Muslims would say that they're following God's will, but apparently they are all liars. Jesus died for their sins, but God anticipates that they're not interested so doesn't make that fact known to them?

Pleas note it is not necessary to respond to each sentence individually here, that can lead to monstrously long emails, endless tangents, and the answer to the question can get lost! Please, just give a clear, summary statement on your answers to these questions at your leisure. Thanks so much!:D

Gary

marke

Will today's belief last until tomorrow?
Noah was not saved by clinging to the outside of the ark until the flood was over. When God gives a repentant sinner a new life and Christ indwells that new believer, that new believer can never undo what has been done.

Hoping

Banned
Noah was not saved by clinging to the outside of the ark until the flood was over. When God gives a repentant sinner a new life and Christ indwells that new believer, that new believer can never undo what has been done.
I agree.
It makes it so much easier to tell who really repented.
Those who left the ark.