Alt-righter plows into crowd of anti-racists in Charlottesville

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When you mark cards you mean to cheat.

There were muslims celebrating.
Probably so. Meanwhile, he made his bit up. That's lying to people. Why would he do that?

That he has every right to have and voice.
His racist, Nazi voice.

Golly.

So you DO approve of violence to shut up one with a viewpoint different than yours.
Only if you're bias blinded, not particularly bright, or willfully dishonest. Let's hope for the first, since that's curable.

Now, for the rational people out there, here's my answer again about who the bad guy is and my response to a physical response:

"No, the person who supports the black lives matters movement would be a law breaker then, have made a wrong decision in how to confront. The bad guy would still be the Nazi."

So no. Get your head out of your ideology and read plain English as it presents.

That said, the Nazi, whom countless Americans died to stop the last time around, would still be the bad guy. And most of the "Greatest Generation" would probably take a pot shot at him. I'd understand the impulse. I wouldn't condone it, but I get it.

Say the BLM guy is walking his grandmother to the store. They pass the Nazi, who tells him what he believes the grandmother is in the lowest imaginable terms. The guy clocks said Nazi. Would he be doing the legal thing? No. Would he be the bad guy? No. He'd just be wrong. There's a better way.

No surprise there.
That you're blinded by your bias to the point where it impacts your reading comprehension? No surprise at all.

Your biased opinion.
Every opinion is biased. I have a bias for reason. Who knows what yours is.

ClimateSanity

https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ion-slave-families-ends-lecturers-termination

Professor terminated for giving a fact about slave families that a black student found intolerable.

She had plenty of evidence to back her up and yet she is not allowed to present evidence counter to a favored racial narrative. How will we ever have an accurate public knowledge of history with this kind of " book burning" permitted and encouraged to flourish in the name of so called social justice?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
https://www.insidehighered.com/news...ion-slave-families-ends-lecturers-termination

Professor terminated for giving a fact about slave families that a black student found intolerable.
No. I read the article then looked about for more information from other sources to round out what I got from the one you posted a link to.

First, the test question was badly done, because there were two partially correct answers (one of which the student actually chose). After emailing her professor about the problem she and everyone in the class got full credit for the question. That seems about right. And that's where it should have ended.

But it didn't. Why? Because the professor appears to be one of those who don't like being questioned. She made remarks in class that led to the student, whose actions eventually illustrate her own immaturity, confronting her in the hall. That led to the professor leaving the door open for the student to present her viewpoint and evidence to the class, which seems indulgent, but okay. Her recorded remarks at the end of the presentation seem in line with an open minded appreciation too.

So THAT ended it...but it didn't.

Because once she was out of the classroom the professor in question decided to vent and announce plans to damage the student, using social media as the conduit of her apparent sub rosa outrage. The University looked into it and the professor was terminated along with the remainder of her year to year contract, while the student was removed to another class.

The student's remarks post incident have been about what I'd expect from a kid who thought she was right, did what I'd want a student to do, got a condescending and/or hostile response from someone accustomed to authority and felt like gloating after the fact.

The gloating tarnishes the rest, but if you look at the incident from the perspectives offered the firing isn't about the test question at all. It's about the fallout and how the university employee conducted her business. The professor acted unprofessionally and the university bought out her remaining contract (she was retiring from the profession at the end of it). They weren't being threatened with a suit. They just didn't want her back in a classroom. I can see why. Follow the other links to get a better understanding of the whole shebang.

Additional links: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...e-with-student-over-slavery-history-1.4158363

This link illustrates some of the professor's behavior and one post in particular that relates to a sex toy.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...student-alleges-racism-retaliation/378074001/

Last edited:

ClimateSanity

No. I read the article then looked about for more information from other sources to round out what I got from the one you posted a link to.

First, the test question was badly done, because there were two partially correct answers (one of which the student actually chose). After emailing her professor about the problem she and everyone in the class got full credit for the question. That seems about right. And that's where it should have ended.

But it didn't. Why? Because the professor appears to be one of those who don't like being questioned. She made remarks in class that led to the student, whose actions eventually illustrate her own immaturity, confronting her in the hall. That led to the professor leaving the door open for the student to present her viewpoint and evidence to the class, which seems indulgent, but okay. Her recorded remarks at the end of the presentation seem in line with an open minded appreciation too.

So THAT ended it...but it didn't.

Because once she was out of the classroom the professor in question decided to vent and announce plans to damage the student, using social media as the conduit of her apparent sub rosa outrage. The University looked into it and the professor was terminated along with the remainder of her year to year contract, while the student was removed to another class.

The student's remarks post incident have been about what I'd expect from a kid who thought she was right, did what I'd want a student to do, got a condescending and/or hostile response from someone accustomed to authority and felt like gloating after the fact.

The gloating tarnishes the rest, but if you look at the incident from the perspectives offered the firing isn't about the test question at all. It's about the fallout and how the university employee conducted her business. The professor acted unprofessionally and the university bought out her remaining contract (she was retiring from the profession at the end of it). They weren't being threatened with a suit. They just didn't want her back in a classroom. I can see why. Follow the other links to get a better understanding of the whole shebang.

Additional links: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...e-with-student-over-slavery-history-1.4158363

This link illustrates some of the professor's behavior and one post in particular that relates to a sex toy.

http://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/...student-alleges-racism-retaliation/378074001/
The comments were not necessarily directed at the student on her Facebook page. The ***** meme was also not done by the prof. I think you have some bad sources. Point is that the student biggest issue was the supposedly false history being taught by the prof. Thats what got her fired in reality. The other unproven allegations were just the excuse that allowed the college to terminate her contract which was done to prevent the U of T becoming another Ferguson and Knoxville going up in flames.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Or, another possibility is that the proximity of a black man to power brought out the hidden inner racist in a lot of Americans.

Of course, you would blame that on Obama. Because, you know...

I asked a question, do you know what a question is? In other words it has to be one or the other, you are saying obama brought out the inner racist, (which means you are the one actually focused on race since its you calling others racist) then tell me how it was that obama was elected a second time?

You liberals make no logical sense, at all. Americans are seeing it now, and making sure you guys cant win elections now. Awesome, keep it up.

PS you can call me racist to your hearts content, God defines me, not you. :)

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The right favors the defense of tradition in the face of external forces for change. Beyond that is the idea that the individual is best served by the least intrusion into his life by government. The left generally advances alterations of those norms and favors a stronger role for government in the life of the individual. It's really a foundationally different set of assumptions for what best serves us, individually and collectively.
The first sentence can contradict the second if the traditions, the norm, have become "a stronger government role in the life the individual."

The Barnes reading is really great. He shows the figure of speech in the verse has been known in a lot of cultures and for a long time. It isn't necessarily political or religious (obviously it can be). But we recognize, like Barnes and like God, that the figure is talking about doing what is righteous, or at least honestly determining truth to try and do what is righteous. That's what wisdom does when it serves one well.

And that's what leads to absolutes.

Thus when you say...

I don't see how not. The moment you believe in God you believe in an absolute. I suspect the difference is more exegesis than foundation.
It's not a matter of believing in an absolute. It's a matter of knowing the list of things that are righteous from God. This list will be as absolute as God is. Now, I realize "list" is not the best word to use, but it's the best one I can think of to convey the idea that God considers things good or bad and by reading the bible we can understand God's nature so well that in a way we can hear God tell us what is good and bad.

That's what it means to be on the right. Not just according to me, but according to what is inferred by Barnes and a gramatical, historical, reading of the bible. And it would include people that don't necessarily understand why the right acts like it does, but trusts them and follows what they do.

I like the Barnes reading, too. "A wise man's sense is in its place, ready to help and protect him; but a fool's sense is missing when it is wanted, and so is useless."

So coming back to the topic at hand, people on the right, in the biblical sense, are the antithesis of Nazis.

But let's go even further at the risk of getting into a conversation I won't be able to respond to for a few days.

The statue of Lee in Charlottsville was put up in the early 20's. That's odd since the civil war generation was in their prime over 40 years earlier. And most of the leaders that supported the slave south were dead. And as it turns out, a lot more slave south hero statues were erected in the 20's besides Lee's in Charlottsville. And what's more, there were a number of them that were put up in the 60's.

Why?

For the same reason. They wanted the blacks to understand that the slave mentality, the mentality that whites were better than blacks, was alive and well in the generation of leaders that were putting up the statues. It was an intimidation tactic.

So one might think we should right this wrong and tear down the statues. But that would be a mistake. I already know your answer will be very long because this is very long so perhaps after your next response - if you feel inclined to do so - I might get into the reasons why it is a mistake. But if you could indulge me just a bit, can you predict what my reason/s is/are?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Say the BLM guy is walking his grandmother to the store. They pass the Nazi, who tells him what he believes the grandmother is in the lowest imaginable terms.
Changing the story isn't going to help you.
The nazi is just standing on the street corner doing nothing but expressing his viewpoint.
Not a darn thing about him saying anything derogatory directly to anyone in particular.

The guy clocks said Nazi.
Right,
The BLM member resorted to attacking him with violence because he did not like the viewpoint the non-violent Nazi was expressing.

Would he be the bad guy? No.
And there we have it again.
Town still thinks the non-violent one with legal behavior (Nazi) is the bad guy,
and the one with illegal behavior of violence (BLM) is not the bad guy.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The nazi is just standing on the street corner doing nothing but expressing his viewpoint.
Not a darn thing about him saying anything derogatory directly to anyone in particular.

Right,
The BLM member resorted to attacking him with violence because he did not like the viewpoint the non-violent Nazi was expressing.

And there we have it again.
Town still thinks the non-violent one with legal behavior (Nazi) is the bad guy,

Nailed it sister, hes a full blown liberal too, its ok for blacks, muslims and liberals to attack people physically and destroy if they dont like something.

Only whites (who apparantly are all nazis now unless expressing groveling guilt and demanding others do the same for things they never did) are bad and deserve death if they do the attacking.

Anna likes nazi quotes btw, she said white supremecists who like trump means trump is one, what does that make anna?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It's what he did, too. He made sure that black people couldn't rent his apartments, by labeling their applications "C" for "colored."

He lied about thousands of Muslims in New Jersey celebrating 9/11.

He said that there are good people among nazis and white supremacists.

And they very much appreciate his support.
The "fine people" comment wasn't about the nazis.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The comments were not necessarily directed at the student on her Facebook page.
And the Pope isn't necessarily Catholic...except he is and everyone knows it.

The ***** meme was also not done by the prof. I think you have some bad sources.
A few. I posted links to two of them.

Point is that the student biggest issue was the supposedly false history being taught by the prof.
No, that was the tender. The thing that started the whole personality clash going. No one was fired for teaching any particular fact.

Thats what got her fired in reality.
Nothing I've read sustains that. It was entirely about what followed.

The other unproven allegations were just the excuse that allowed the college to terminate her contract which was done to prevent the U of T becoming another Ferguson and Knoxville going up in flames.
The University looked into it and terminated the remaining time she had with the school. There wasn't a movement attached to this, only a complaint, background, and action by the employer. The rest is a half step removed from conspiracy theory.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The "fine people" comment wasn't about the nazis.
Except neither of us believes that "fine people" were comfortable marching next to White Supremacists, the Klan, and Nazis. And if Trump did he's a bigger idiot than I suspected, which is saying something.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm not looking for any; I'm offering you some. The point I was making is that some things, words, even presence, can incite a violent response. My larger point, that violence is both criminal and a poor choice, remains in rebuttal of your nonsensical decision that I approved of violence as a means of addressing difference.

Apology accepted (well, if you had it in you).

His viewpoint is exactly what I had him express to the black guy. His view point is a racist bit of foulness.

Do you have any idea what they believe about other races? Blacks? Jews?

Right,The BLM member resorted to attacking him with violence because he did not like the viewpoint the non-violent Nazi was expressing.
You think anyone was confused on the point? Show of hands, how many people thought the black guy responded violently to the Nazi for some unfathomable reason. Anyone? Anyone at all...

And there we have it again.Town still thinks the non-violent one with legal behavior (Nazi) is the bad guy,
A bad guy, Tam, with or without someone else anywhere around him. Nazis, and I can't believe I'm having to repeat this in American, are bad guys.

I know how he responded and I didn't approve of it. I said so. But I'm not privy to his thinking. I know what the Nazi is about. He's a Nazi. It's not a veiled belief system. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Nailed it sister, hes a full blown liberal too,
I'd do the list of why that's just nuts, but I don't have enough faith in your desire to approach any of this via reason to bother.

its ok for blacks, muslims and liberals to attack people physically and destroy if they dont like something.
Except I've never said anything like that and actually rejected violence as a mediation tool, repeatedly.

Only whites (who apparantly are all nazis now unless expressing groveling guilt and demanding others do the same for things they never did) are bad and deserve death if they do the attacking.
Except I'm against the death penalty, or killing at all unless in defense of your life or another's and the rest of that screed was just a whole lot of untethered crazy in relation to any position I've actually taken.

Anna likes nazi quotes btw, she said white supremecists who like trump means trump is one, what does that make anna?
No, she didn't, but your obsession with her is bordering on Sod like. It won't help you.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I read an article about this and this part stood out to me:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/free-speech-safety-debated-rally-turns-violent-49475559

Berkeley Police Chief Andrew Greenwood said he ordered officers to abandon the park when the black-clad activists arrived. Confronting them would have risked escalating the violence and jeopardizing the safety of the peaceful protesters, Greenwood said.

The mayor said the police acted appropriately, saying the anarchists "were trying to provoke the police."

I wonder what the reaction would be had they been confederate flag waving activists. :think:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ifa-violence-in-berkeley-after-criticism.html

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., condemned attacks by members of Antifa against conservative demonstrators over the weekend in Berkeley, Calif., calling the violence a "sad event."

"Our democracy has no room for inciting violence or endangering the public, no matter the ideology of those who commit such acts," Pelosi said in a statement Tuesday evening. "The violent actions of people calling themselves antifa [sic] in Berkeley this weekend deserve unequivocal condemnation, and the perpetrators should be arrested and prosecuted."

:up:

drbrumley

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ifa-violence-in-berkeley-after-criticism.html

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., condemned attacks by members of Antifa against conservative demonstrators over the weekend in Berkeley, Calif., calling the violence a "sad event."

"Our democracy has no room for inciting violence or endangering the public, no matter the ideology of those who commit such acts," Pelosi said in a statement Tuesday evening. "The violent actions of people calling themselves antifa [sic] in Berkeley this weekend deserve unequivocal condemnation, and the perpetrators should be arrested and prosecuted."

:up:

After inciting them to attack in SF.