Theology Club: Acts 28 Teaching?

heir

TOL Subscriber
Yes, he extrapolated the part about the extra Body based on the fact that we believe the Romans were not yet saved.
It's not so hard to see that they weren't saved at the writing of it, but became saved because of the writing of it as God foreknew they would believe!

Romans 11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.

Romans 11:2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,

Romans 11:3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.

Romans 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.

Romans 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Danoh

So do you think that they were not yet saved when Paul sent his epistle to them?

After all, you have argued in the past that believing Jesus is the Christ saved no one.

Come on, Jerry, you have got to have a stronger argument then a verse or two, and some out of their context.

It is obvious on so many levels that the Romans were in the Body BEFORE Paul wrote Romans to them.

But again, who cares... we today have what they had, whether before or after Paul wrote them.

Lol, and a big sheesh, to go with it, as all sides of this...

Who cares? Pre or Post Romans - they've been dead and in the Son some two thousand years now.

And we're in, and no one can take that from Romans this side of Romans. Every one us on here knows this.

Its settled - let's move on to some real meat and potatoes explorations.

Jerry Shugart

I do not see how they could be (yet) if they did not know the gospel of Christ, which is the power of God unto salvation, and according to the revelation of the mystery.

So according to your ideas the people who made up the church at Rome were not saved when Paul wrote his epistle to them and at that time they were not in the Body of Christ.

Is that right?

heir

TOL Subscriber
It is obvious on so many levels that the Romans were in the Body BEFORE Paul wrote Romans to them.
That's funny considering we have never had this hanging over our heads:

Romans 11:19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.

Romans 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

Romans 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

Romans 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

:burnlib:

SaulToPaul 2

So according to your ideas the people who made up the church at Rome were not saved when Paul wrote his epistle to them and at that time they were not in the Body of Christ.

Is that right?

I can come to none other conclusion having read, and believed, chapter 1.

Danoh

That's funny considering we have never had this hanging over our heads:

Romans 11:19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.

Romans 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:

Romans 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.

Romans 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

:burnlib:

I refuse to make these issues an issue with you, STP and others.

Exploring differences in understanding is one thing.

But that is not what this has been to date for more than some.

I have had it with that within Mid-Acts.

Romans 14:5, 23 including where your need to express a :burnlib: is concerned.

heir

TOL Subscriber
Romans 14:5, 23 including where your need to express a :burnlib: is concerned.
:burnlib: is what will happen to those who were and will be cut off. They will be cast into the fire, Danoh. It wasn't aimed at you.

Being cut off is NOT something that those who are "already in the Body" (as you believe the Romans were before Paul) would ever need to be warned about. It's just more proof that the Romans were NOT saved at the writing of the letter.

Danoh

:burnlib: is what will happen to those who were and will be cut off. They will be cast into the fire, Danoh. It wasn't aimed at you.

Being cut off is NOT something that those who are "already in the Body" (as you believe the Romans were before Paul) would ever need to be warned about. It's just more proof that the Romans were NOT saved at the writing of the letter.

My point was not that you were aiming it at me.

Rather, that though we differ in our understanding of Romans 11, as to who is worthy of what there, and how, I am fine with where we each are about it.