Abortion and Infanticide in the Bible.....let's see if this one he's locked down too

Dominic4

BANNED
Banned
Again, in Deuteronomy 2:33-34, God command the Israelites to slaughter innocents, including babies. Out-of-the-womb, already born babies.

If you are against abortion (aka in-the-womb baby slaying, as you radical right wing nutters refer to it), then why are you okay with God murdering out-of-the-womb babies?

Angel4Truth and KingCobra, this one is especially for you. In case you need a reminder, here is God on slaughtering babies:

33 And the Lord our God delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people.

34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain

If you two don't want to answer, I get it. Hard questions that make you think aren't the fundamentalist specialty

shagster01

Watch out. I asked a similar question to this once, and rather than get an answer, I got an infraction.

bybee

Again, in Deuteronomy 2:33-34, God command the Israelites to slaughter innocents, including babies. Out-of-the-womb, already born babies.

If you are against abortion (aka in-the-womb baby slaying, as you radical right wing nutters refer to it), then why are you okay with God murdering out-of-the-womb babies?

Angel4Truth and KingCobra, this one is especially for you. In case you need a reminder, here is God on slaughtering babies:

33 And the Lord our God delivered him before us; and we smote him, and his sons, and all his people.

34 And we took all his citi Also, perhaps,es at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain

If you two don't want to answer, I get it. Hard questions that make you think aren't the fundamentalist specialty

Your insulting tone and presentation make it almost impossible to engage in a civil discussion with you.
The things listed in Scripture that happened during Old Testament times appear to reflect things as they were then. That is how warfare was conducted. Also, perhaps, it was the only way to stop the spread of noxious and lethal diseases?
Consider the effects of diseases on Native peoples which were brought into those populations by invading Europeans?

In any case, a Christian steps to a different drummer. We have a mediator and advocate who is Love, Mercy, Forgiveness and Peace Incarnate.
That is the Standard by which I seek to live.

Dominic4

BANNED
Banned
Your insulting tone and presentation make it almost impossible to engage in a civil discussion with you.
The things listed in Scripture that happened during Old Testament times appear to reflect things as they were then. That is how warfare was conducted. Also, perhaps, it was the only way to stop the spread of noxious and lethal diseases?
Consider the effects of diseases on Native peoples which were brought into those populations by invading Europeans?

In any case, a Christian steps to a different drummer. We have a mediator and advocate who is Love, Mercy, Forgiveness and Peace Incarnate.

I TOTALLY agree with you on why it was neccesary. You seem to have put more thought into this than most Christians. In addition to it being very difficult for the Israelites to acquire the resources necessary to take in their captives, even as slaves.

Different rules for different eras

quip

BANNED
Banned
We have a mediator and advocate who is Love, Mercy, Forgiveness and Peace Incarnate.

Well bybee, that's the very standard Dom is questioning...and I think he has a point. What are your objection(s) to this point?

bybee

Well bybee, that's the very standard Dom is questioning...and I think he has a point. What are your objection(s) to this point?

I am not objecting to his point. I don't think the topic is well served if I address only his point as stated?
But then, I digress, to suit my own purposes....

RevTestament

34 And we took all his cities at that time, and utterly destroyed the men, and the women, and the little ones, of every city, we left none to remain

As far as I'm concerned God did those innocents a favor, because they were innocent, and therefore are saved without having to pay for the sins of idolatry, etc their parents were teaching them. Therefore they are saved by Christ. We aren't able to make that judgment, so are otherwise bound by the law "thou shalt not murder."
God does recognize the unborn as well, as there was OT law to compensate the parents of an unborn child if premature birth is forced by actions of another, and perhaps full-fledged law of retribution was applied if the infant's limbs or features were clearly damaged.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER

I guess we could keep answering you on this.
The passage does not say, “The Lord our Kdall” or “The Lord our Donald” or “The Lord our Dominic.” It says “The Lord our God.”
Do you understand that there is a difference between God and man?

Angle4Truth explained that to the three (or one) of you. Yet you still attribute murder to the Lord our God?

quip

BANNED
Banned
Do you understand that there is a difference between God and man?

All I know of "god"...comes through the self-serving rantings of men.

Hence, this gem of a special pleading fallacy:

Yet you still attribute murder to the Lord our God?

Taking a page from Socrates....is murder wrong simply because god abhors of it...or is it abhorred by god because it is inherently wrong?

Either call requires more than a humble modicum of human interpretation.

HisServant

Reading scripture out of time and without understanding the context and culture of when it was written can be very confusing.

Times were very tribal back then, it was kill or be killed.

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
Taking a page from Socrates....is murder wrong simply because god abhors of it...or is it abhorred by god because it is inherently wrong?

Either call requires more than a humble modicum of human interpretation.

Euthyphro aside, God abhors abortion, yes. Is that the point you're trying to make?

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

True

quip

BANNED
Banned
I know you believe in an Uncreated Creator.
So, do you not believe that the Uncreated Creator abhors murder?

This Uncreated Creator you speak of seems more of a christian design (unmoved mover) than anything Buddhists may conjure. Collectively speaking, I think bybee states it well:

At it's very root I abhor murder because I love life, my own in particular!

shagster01

. . . That is how warfare was conducted. Also, perhaps, it was the only way to stop the spread of noxious and lethal diseases?

So what? Killing children was ok if it was war or to stop disease?