A New Standard of Interaction on TheologyOnline

Bernie

amicable ameil says...
Don't do us any favors, Bernie.

...proving my point that TOL is the only board ....
I've found where the folks who run it are bigger Edit than I

As you wish. Don't know what I was thinking anyway. There is not nor ever will be a kinder gentler TOL till the powers that be croak. Y'all have happy holidays.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
As you wish. Don't know what I was thinking anyway. There is not nor ever will be a kinder gentler TOL till the powers that be croak. Y'all have happy holidays.
If you think that our new standard means that its OK to visit our forums and act like a jerk you would be sadly mistaken.

We are looking for the opposite of "jerkiness". :)

TheFallenAngel

I'm happily surprised but uncertain this is for real

I'm happily surprised but uncertain this is for real

I haven't been to TOL for a while because of the high level of hate, anger and insults that were freely thrown around and wrongly justified. If that is going to change I commend you for that change. I believe this new standard will be of benefit to all members and will greatly help in any witnessing efforts. But I have to admit that I am cautious, not quite certain this change is for real. If I may . . . why the change?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I haven't been to TOL for a while because of the high level of hate, anger and insults that were freely thrown around and wrongly justified. If that is going to change I commend you for that change. I believe this new standard will be of benefit to all members and will greatly help in any witnessing efforts. But I have to admit that I am cautious, not quite certain this change is for real. If I may . . . why the change?
The change will be a long term transition (it aint gonna happen overnight), it will take a long time to alter the type of debate here on TOL. That being said I will remind you that the change will be subtle, you will still see harsh rebuke here on TOL at times but hopefully only when absolutely necessary.

Why the change? Because I feel it's the right thing to do. Maybe my dogma had a slight case of rabies. :idunno:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Looking forward to the change. :up:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
And remember..... the image I have created of the Truthsmack Gage isn't a joke, it seriously represents the subtle change in direction. All opinions are still not equal, evil is still evil, a pervert is still a pervert and so on. The only difference is saving the harsh rebuke for the moments that really deserve it.

truthsmack-gage.gif

nicholsmom

Starting in 2009 TheologyOnline.com will be instituting a new standard of interaction on the TheologyOnline.com forums. Since 1997 TheologyOnline.com has encouraged spirited debate at a level officially referred to as "in your face smack". The new standard starting in 2009 will be described as "Cordial Correction". (see TruthSmack Gage below)

truthsmack-gage.gif

When asked in a recent press conference... "Does this mean TOL is becoming fair and balanced to all view points?"

"Of course not!" Answered TOL's CEO Knight. "TOL will always be a right-wing Christian website as long as I am in charge.". Knight continued, "it's merely the fact that in an effort to create a website with the purpose of smacking liberals around we have often times sunken to a level that we would prefer not to have sunken to."

When asked to explain the meaning of that tortured sentence Knight responded... "It's obvious isn't it?" :noid:

So what exactly does this change mean? The bottom line is... being extremely harsh can at times be the right thing to do, however those cases are often times few and far-between yet have become the "norm" on TOL in recent years. In most cases simply stating a counter argument in a loving, civil, and intelligent way is the best thing to do. This doesn't mean that all views will now be given a "pass" on TOL, instead... it means that love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control should be the first tools used in any discussion. Yes there will still be times when righteous indignation and harsh rebuke will still be in order. Question: Will folks be warned or possibly banned if they don't follow the new standard? In time yes (possibly, and depending on the circumstance), but initially the TOL staff will do our best to help educate the membership regarding the new standard.

This is officially the first time in the history of TOL that we have instituted such a change in focus and mission of this website.

Please feel free to ask your questions here in this thread and I will do my best to answer them.

Wow. :king:

Buzzword

It's about time, IMO.

With every other (total of five) message boards I'm on, calling someone a "moron," "idiot," "godless scum," etc. gets you at LEAST a hardcore warning, then a 3-day ban, so on and so on.

What's the point of having moderators if the discussions aren't going to be MODERATED?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It's about time, IMO.

With every other (total of five) message boards I'm on, calling someone a "moron," "idiot," "godless scum," etc. gets you at LEAST a hardcore warning, then a 3-day ban, so on and so on.

What's the point of having moderators if the discussions aren't going to be MODERATED?
This site is moderated. And with the ability to report posts, it's somewhat moderated by the general audience and not just the staff.

What you are failing to understand is that those words are allowed here, if there is just cause for them. That is why people don't get a warning, not because there is no moderation.