A Bad Day At The Rocket Ranch. :(

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
This was the scene tonight on Wallops Island, VA home of the Antares rocket being launched to the ISS (International Space Station) by Orbital Sciences Corp. for NASA. This is what happens when there is a bad day at work, and all the engineers & technicians were fervently reciting the engineer/technician prayer which goes like this: "Please God don't let my stamp be on that". Seriously though this is proof that if launching rockets was easy everyone would be doing it... they call it rocket science for a reason.

Bad Day At The Rocket Ranch

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
... they call it rocket science for a reason.

I should share my story sometime about witnessing a rocket scientist not being able to figure out which direction to push a revolving door in.
(She probably had her stamp on the Wallops Island disaster).

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I should share my story sometime about witnessing a rocket scientist not being able to figure out which direction to push a revolving door in.
(She probably had her stamp on the Wallops Island disaster).

Interestingly I have seen the same sort of thing. We had a guy, a rocket scientist, PHD, a very,very, smart individual, a little strange (eccentric) who actually could not find his rent-a-car in the parking lot of the facility at Cape Canaveral. What was interesting was he could not remember what color it was, what the make of the car was but, he did know the license plate number on the car...who memorizes the license plate number of a rent-a-car? :idunno: I will say some of these extremely intelligent individuals definitely process information differently than us normal folk, can work some of the most complex problems but, cannot remember where the bathroom is in a building they have worked in for years :chuckle: definitely different for sure.

OCTOBER23

I HEARD THAT OBAMA IS GOING TO HAVE ANOTHER TERM DUE TO AN BOMB IN NEW YORK.

BECAUSE OF THIS , THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS WILL BE POSTPONED.

elohiym

This is what happens when there is a bad day at work, and all the engineers & technicians were fervently reciting the engineer/technician prayer which goes like this: "Please God don't let my stamp be on that".

:chuckle:

That was one expensive explosion. Wow.

Do you know what the payload was?

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
:chuckle:

That was one expensive explosion. Wow.

Do you know what the payload was?

It was a resupply mission to the International Space Station so probably, socks, underwear, toilet paper, food, etc. Very unfortunate for Orbital Sciences Corp. the rocket builder/operator who have had many problems on this program as well as other rockets they build & launch. They lost two satellites in a row here in CA, a Taurus rocket and a Minotaur rocket, on both rockets the fairings over the satellite failed to jettison putting roughly 1/2 billion dollars of hardware in the drink. It has been real tough for Orbital as of late trying to launch bigger rockets, they have done relatively well with their smaller rockets, missiles, & satellite construction but, launching larger birds has been tough market for them. I really feel bad for them, it is really a tough blow losing a mission.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they needed better rocket scientists.

Antares is a new program and new programs can be unpredictable in their infancy. A controlled explosion which a launch is, can go really wrong, really quickly, if everything is not right as we saw with this launch.

Jedidiah

Antares is a new program and new programs can be unpredictable in their infancy. A controlled explosion which a launch is can go really wrong really quickly if everything is not right, as we saw with this launch.
Absolutely; I was cracking wise. ;)

The Berean

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they needed better rocket scientists.

20013212_7195_625x1000.jpg