501c3 at risk due to opposition to sodomite ceremonies

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Good. No religious organization should be tax exempt.

They'll make it (Mt 16:18). Chick-Fil-A is doing great and they're closed on Sunday. :idunno: How does that happen, Satanist?

smileys-money-702364.gif

Jose Fly

No one is talking about taking action against actual churches (outside of the paranoid nutters). However, institutions like religious schools are a different issue. They aren't churches, but they do enjoy government subsidies in the form of tax exemption.

So the question is, should the government be subsidizing institutions that don't adhere to the law?

rexlunae

I'm not much in favor of tax exemptions for certain organizations. The whole system has proven too prone to abuse, and I can't think of a good reason why an organization should just inherently carry exemption from taxation because of what it does. Are poor people really that much less worthy that we'll tax them, but not a Super PAC?

Jose Fly

Did you not see the news item Angel posted yesterday? If they're pastors or ministers, that's the point.

Yep, and as I pointed out today that was specifically about public businesses. The case that was cited as spurring the ordinance was a "hitching post". The WA Times article didn't quite make that clear, accidentally I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Jose Fly

You can see the actual ordinance HERE. It includes the following exemption...

B. This chapter does not apply to:

1. Religious corporations, associations, educational institutions, or societies.

To be frank, the WA Times was lying.

musterion

The ACLU - of all people - disagrees.
On Thursday (Oct. 23), the ACLU of Idaho unexpectedly sided with the Knapps. Leo Morales, the group’s interim executive director, said he won’t pursue legal action because the Hitching Post only provides religious services and is exempted from the local ordinance.

Morales said the ACLU would reconsider its stance if the chapel were to offer secular services, such as providing flowers or cakes, or holding nonreligious ceremonies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
They're a for profit business, not a church. That's like calling a diploma mill an actual university. And since when do you guys defend a female minister?:kookoo:

Dialogos

Good. No religious organization should be tax exempt. Make 'em all pay in--temples, mosques, synagogues, churches, the works.

Yeah, and lets tax Nonprofit organizations of every kind, like hospitals, homeless shelters, homes for orphans, colleges, etc...

Right?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yeah, and lets tax Nonprofit organizations of every kind, like hospitals, homeless shelters, homes for orphans, colleges, etc...

Right?

This is the first I've seen a Christian express concern for these institutions on TOL in an extremely long time.:rotfl:

Granite

Hall of Fame
:rotfl:
This isn't the first time I've seen an atheist wuss out of a direct question.

The answer to your question is "no," and if you understand what a 501(c)3 is (and how the institutions you mentioned actually operate) you'll understand why.

Dialogos

I'm sorry, does he have any legal authority to do...well, anything?

Nothing other than to vote (unfortunately).

But those who do have legal authority have signaled that the Supreme Court Decision challenges religious freedom in our country.

All you have to do is read the dissenting opinions of Thomas, Allito and Roberts to see this.