$1M Alligator Shoes Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
granite1010 (and Jefferson),

Physical abuse is also criminal and punishable by flogging, according to the Scriptures.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Turbo

granite1010 (and Jefferson),

Physical abuse is also criminal and punishable by flogging, according to the Scriptures.
Good point. With flogging for physically abusive husbands there would be very few husbands who physically abuse in the first place.

Additionally, the "3 strikes and you're dead" rule would apply. Incorrigible criminals don't get flogged more than 2 times. On their 3rd offense they are executed.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by Jefferson

Good point. With flogging for physically abusive husbands there would be very few husbands who physically abuse in the first place.

Additionally, the "3 strikes and you're dead" rule would apply. Incorrigible criminals don't get flogged more than 2 times. On their 3rd offense they are executed.
So, no flogging for verbal abuse?

Great, because I can tear somebody to shreds and not raise a finger...

Remind me to say something nasty about the mother of the first ACM Judge I meet...
:chuckle:

the Sibbie

Stoning until death would not take longer that 60 seconds. It is painful but not torturous. Torture implies a time period of days and weeks, even months.
I guess it is pretty quick then. I imagined it to be longer.

Zakath

Resident Atheist

:think:

Jefferson, where in the OT is there any reference to a penalty for wife beating, other than beating your slave so hard you kill them?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Gerald

If you do it right, it can be much longer...
But that requires a skill level the average mob of amateurs probably doesn't possess, don't you think?

Flipper

Gerald:

Bullet impact produces the same effect as stoning (i.e., blunt trauma);

Um, it doesn't, actually. You might as well make the argument that a knife wound is blunt trauma.

Flipper

Granite:

So how would this work? Would there be a lottery of potential Stoners to pick from? Would people be picked at random?

Probably it would be carried out by a group of women wearing beards.

Flipper

Turbo:

Jefferson has been answering your questions in a straightforward manner, despite your scoffing and putting words in his mouth.

Did I specifically mention Jefferson? No I didn't. And it is true, I generally don't get answers concerning difficult questions like what would happen to welfare and how single parents are supposed to raise their children, and that kind of thing.

Jefferson did answer my question regarding whether an unfaithful spouse would have to be executed. I suspect then that hardly anyone would be because few people would feel like doing that to their errant loved one. I suppose it might provide a `think twice' deterrent, particularly to those people who are in such bad relationships they couldn't be certain their spouse wouldn't push for maximum penalty. Oddly enough, this law will probably be more of a punishment to the independently wealthy, where avaricious spouses would have no financial impediments to life without hubby (and, it could be argued, a major financial incentive).

But I notice that my question regarding bad relationships and divorce hasn't yet been answered:

If you hated your spouse that much that you'd be willing to see them dead (even if they were unfaithful), you shouldn't be married to that person anyway.

I suppose that in Jeffersontopia, divorce would be practically impossible too. So imagine a home where things have broken down to the extent that both sides would be willing to turn the other over to the authorities if either were caught in flagrante delicto.

Neither side dares take the risk (although if one does, in most cases I suspect it would be the man). However, neither side can get divorced even though they hate the sight of each other.

You would prefer this? You would prefer to yoke them together for the rest of their lives? You think that's the environment in which children should be raised?

Also, what about the point I've raised again and again regarding the deadly combination of completely legalizing of all firearms united with the patriotic instincts of (presumably) a large number of citizenry? Those of us who believe that their first duty is to the Constitution of the United States, which expects us to defend the country against tyrants.

I have seen the argument made that the theonomy would be a more stable and safe environment. I fail to see how that would be possible in a lengthy civil war.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

Indeed. Bullet impact produces the same effect as stoning (i.e., blunt trauma) ..........

Dude, I've been stoned a bunch of times......I think bullets might be a bit worse......:eek:

Granite

Hall of Fame
"I have seen the argument made that the theonomy would be a more stable and safe environment. I fail to see how that would be possible in a lengthy civil war."

Other than the rhetoric, a theocracy would not be any different than a humanistic totalitarian regime in its end results. There is not a single instance of the church and state working hand in hand that hasn't ended in tyranny.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

So, no flogging for verbal abuse?

Great, because I can tear somebody to shreds and not raise a finger...
Haven't seen it yet on this forum Gerald.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Zakath

:think:

Jefferson, where in the OT is there any reference to a penalty for wife beating, other than beating your slave so hard you kill them?
It's just a logical deduction from other verses. God does not lay out every single possible case law. If He did, the Bible would be the size of a library. Instead, He gives a few examples and then expects us to use our brains to apply those examples to other situations. If you want to suggest to the monarch to allow wife beating, go ahead. I, however, don't see it in scripture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
g1010,

Your question on the track record of church/state gov't has been answered by both Jefferson and myself. Did you have another question you feel has not been answered?

Status
Not open for further replies.