$1M Alligator Shoes Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jefferson

By "swift" I mean execution within 24 hours of conviction instead of 24 years.

And where's the biblical basis for deliberately making an execution painful? Cruel and unusual goes out the window, I guess...

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by granite1010

And where's the biblical basis for deliberately making an execution painful?
Deu 22:23,24 - "If a girl who is a virgin is engaged to a husband, and a man finds her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them with stones that they die; the girl because she did not cry out in the city, and the man because he has humbled his neighbor's wife. So you shall put away evil from among you."

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man also lies with mankind, as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be on them."

Granite

Hall of Fame

Deu 22:23,24 - "If a girl who is a virgin is engaged to a husband, and a man finds her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them with stones that they die; the girl because she did not cry out in the city, and the man because he has humbled his neighbor's wife. So you shall put away evil from among you."

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man also lies with mankind, as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be on them."

I don't see excessive cruelty or pain anywhere here. Do you advocate savagery or even torture when executing someone? Why or why not?

Flipper

Jefferson:

A suspicious spouse rigs his/her bedroom with a miniature camera. Adultery would be very easy to prove in many cases.

If you hated your spouse that much that you'd be willing to see them dead (even if they were unfaithful), you shouldn't be married to that person anyway.

I suppose that in Jeffersontopia, divorce would be practically impossible too. So imagine a home where things have broken down to the extent that both sides would be willing to turn the other over to the authorities if either were caught in flagrante delicto.

Neither side dares take the risk (although if one does, in most cases I suspect it would be the man). However, neither side can get divorced even though they hate the sight of each other.

You would prefer this? You would prefer to yoke them together for the rest of their lives? You think that's the environment in which children should be raised?

No, that sounds like a great plan.

Flipper

Granite:

I don't see excessive cruelty or pain anywhere here. Do you advocate savagery or even torture when executing someone? Why or why not?

I think stoning someone to death is both cruel and unusual. It's likely to be a fairly slow and painful death by repeated blunt trauma, unless you're lucky enough to get knocked unconscious.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Flipper

Granite:

I think stoning someone to death is both cruel and unusual. It's likely to be a fairly slow and painful death by repeated blunt trauma, unless you're lucky enough to get knocked unconscious.

I know that there are some Stoning Advocates on TOL, just trying to see if Jefferson's one of them. Seems to be...

Flipper

Jefferson:

And another thing

quote:
A suspicious spouse rigs his/her bedroom with a miniature camera. Adultery would be very easy to prove in many cases.

Okay, so in Jeffersontopia, women with children should be discouraged from working, right? I mean, you're against daycares and state schools and that sort of thing. So if a woman catches her man making time with some floozie and publicly condemns him, she's effectively cut off her entire income supply potentially condemns herself and her children to a life of penury.

Even if there are daycares in Jeffersontopia, you've effectively created a single-parent family. I shouldn't like to be a single parent - it would be utterly exhausting to do even a halfway decent job at it.

So wouldn't you agree that there's actually a major disincentive for everyone - but most of all for women - to report adultery? What would you propose to do about caring for families where the major breadwinner has just been stoned to death?

I rarely get answers when I ask difficult questions about the specific mechanics of some Christian theocracy, so I'm all ears.

Flipper

Granite;

He absolutely is in favor of stoning and has said so before. If it's there's a punishment that's advocated in the bible, Jefferson supports it. Wouldn't you say that's a fair description, Jefferson?

Granite

Hall of Fame
"I rarely get answers when I ask difficult questions about the specific mechanics of some Christian theocracy, so I'm all ears."

Same here.

Christian Reconstructionists, for an example, for all their advocacy of theonomy, are somewhat vague when it gets to the nitty-gritty.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Interestingly enough, the "proper" method of stoning is to avoid shots to the condemned's head, so the person remains conscious...

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I rarely get answers when I ask difficult questions about the specific mechanics of some Christian theocracy, so I'm all ears.

Same here.

Christian Reconstructionists, for an example, for all their advocacy of theonomy, are somewhat vague when it gets to the nitty-gritty.
Jefferson has been answering your questions in a straightforward manner, despite your scoffing and putting words in his mouth.

Give the guy a break.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

Please quote me where I advocated "excessive cruelty." As for "pain," do you actually think that people throwing stones at you until you are dead would not be a painful way to die?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator

I know that there are some Stoning Advocates on TOL, just trying to see if Jefferson's one of them. Seems to be...
Yes I am. In fact I believe that stoning is the only form of capital punishment allowed in the Bible.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Gerald

Interestingly enough, the "proper" method of stoning is to avoid shots to the condemned's head, so the person remains conscious...
Once again Gerald stumbles upon the truth.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Flipper:

Regarding the possibility of a woman becoming destitute if her husband is put to death for adultery:

There is a strong principle in the Bible for victim's rights. The victim of a crime is the one who decides whether the allowed penalty will be enforced or not. The death penalty for adultery, for example, would not be automatic.

When the State is the prosecuting agent of Biblical laws that have been violated where a pleonasm is in the verse (eg. "dying he shall surely die"), the State is required to enforce the death penalty upon conviction with no judicial discretion in imposing sanctions. There is a reason why some penalties have pleonasms in the verse and others do not. The differences in the verses exist to point out differences in the surety of punishments for different crimes.

When the victim is the prosecuting agent, victims rights prevail. For example, the Bible commands the death penalty for adultery. However, an innocent husband in a particular case may decide that his preschool children need their mother (slut though she may be) much more than he needs justice. The father's decision to allow the slut to live would stand.

By the same token, considering the example you gave, if a woman feels she and her children need the financial support of her unfaithful spouse more than she needs justice, then she will have the right to allow him to live.

A specific example from the Bible is Joseph's refusal to prosecute Mary when he found out she was pregnant before they were married. The Bible calls Joseph a "just" man. (Matthew 1:19 - "But Joseph, her husband to be, being JUST, and not willing to make her a public example, he purposed to put her away secretly.")

How could the Bible possibly call Joseph "just" in the very same verse where he apparently sinned against a Biblical command that calls for the execution of an adulteress?

The answer is that Joseph had the Biblical freedom to forgive Mary and spare her any punishment.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"By the same token, considering the example you gave, if a woman feels she and her children need the financial support of her unfaithful spouse more than she needs justice, then she will have the right to allow him to live."

So a woman living with an abusive husband is left with no recourse but to put up and shut up? The other option being having the lout bludgeoned to death in public and leaving her destitute.

Something's wrong with this picture.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Once again Gerald stumbles upon the truth.
No, I just happen to have made a lifelong hobby of studying the myriad methods used to cause damage to the human body.

I want to make sure my techniques are polished when open season is finally declared on you people...

:box: :Grizzly: :devil:

:chuckle:

Granite

Hall of Fame

Please quote me where I advocated "excessive cruelty." As for "pain," do you actually think that people throwing stones at you until you are dead would not be a painful way to die?

I was only asking. And as far as stoning goes, I see no reason to re-institute it, especially when a gallows or firing squad does the trick--no fuss, no muss.

Gerald

Resident Fiend

I was only asking. And as far as stoning goes, I see no reason to re-institute it, especially when a gallows or firing squad does the trick--no fuss, no muss.
Indeed. Bullet impact produces the same effect as stoning (i.e., blunt trauma); the only difference is that bullets move much faster.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Gerald

No, I just happen to have made a lifelong hobby of studying the myriad methods used to cause damage to the human body.

I want to make sure my techniques are polished when open season is finally declared on you people...
:yawn:

Status
Not open for further replies.