$1M Alligator Shoes Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I don't complain about Nero because he happened to put a sword down his throat some time ago...

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by crytahvn
that is saved for the last. And believe me you will know it.
Of course I'll know it!

I'll be one of the folks dispatching those unmarked black Chevy Suburbans bearing squads of jackbooted stormtroopers...

:devil: :chuckle:

On Fire

Originally posted by Gerald

Of course I'll know it!

I'll be one of the folks dispatching those unmarked black Chevy Suburbans bearing squads of jackbooted stormtroopers...

:devil: :chuckle:

Another reason to be careful when backing out of your driveways. See what happenes when you run over your kid's puppy?

Gerald

Resident Fiend
Originally posted by AtheistsSuck

Another reason to be careful when backing out of your driveways. See what happenes when you run over your kid's puppy?
Thanks for reminding me!

I haven't run my car over any puppies this week.

:chuckle:

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by crytahvn

that is saved for the last. And believe me you will know it.
Yes, because we'll be subjected to their incessant whining about their persecution... like their deity cares or something... :chuckle:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
granite1010 posted

And I don't see--contrary to Yorzhik's assertion--that my question has been answered at all.
Then you are not reading. We both said the church has nothing to do with the government. There is nothing that requires the king to care at all what the church thinks.

Now, can you get back to relevant details of why you think a monarchy won't work?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Yorzhik

Then you are not reading. We both said the church has nothing to do with the government. There is nothing that requires the king to care at all what the church thinks.

Now, can you get back to relevant details of why you think a monarchy won't work?

Because dictatorship can never succeed long term. Setting up a constitution for a monarch to ignore--as they all do--doesn't solve anything. We already have a semi-dictatorship now, given executive orders and constitutional circumvention that the presidency has popularized since the Wilson administration.

way 2 go

Originally posted by way 2 go

Could a Sodom like place elect a good government?

What are the chances of a place using dumbocracy (mob rule) of looking like a Sodom & Gomorrah type place?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by way 2 go

What are the chances of a place using dumbocracy (mob rule) of looking like a Sodom & Gomorrah type place?
You mean like most of the United States?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Jefferson

You mean like most of the United States?
If you honestly believe that most of the U.S. looks like Sodom and Gomorrah, why are you hanging around? Doesn't it vex "your righteous soul"? :chuckle:

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Because dictatorship can never succeed long term. Setting up a constitution for a monarch to ignore--as they all do--doesn't solve anything. We already have a semi-dictatorship now, given executive orders and constitutional circumvention that the presidency has popularized since the Wilson administration.
A dictator might be a monarch, and that would last, as long as he lived, anyway.

And I don't understand your aversion to a dictator that would ignore the constitution, and have at least a chance of turning good, and beyond that would have the courtesy to die. But you accept rabidly an entity that ignores our current constitution, has no capacity to turn good, and will never die.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Yorzhik

A dictator might be a monarch, and that would last, as long as he lived, anyway.

And I don't understand your aversion to a dictator that would ignore the constitution, and have at least a chance of turning good, and beyond that would have the courtesy to die. But you accept rabidly an entity that ignores our current constitution, has no capacity to turn good, and will never die.

I believe you're referring to dictatorship and a constitutional republic, correct? So what makes you think the system we have now is incapable of reforming? Let me see if I'm crystal-clear on this issue: a leader popularly elected cannot recognize the error of his ways, but a ruler with absolute power who might wind up being an arbitrary despot is capable of this change?

Status
Not open for further replies.