• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Young Earth or Old?

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
@oatmeal's words from a defunct post, as quoted by @way 2 go in post #17:
At parochial grade school, I was taught that God is perfect. Since God is perfect, everything he does is perfect.

Thus is seems that the heaven and earth he created had to be perfect in its original form.
So, after all--surprise! surprise!--the earth was perfect in its original form even though @oatmeal was not yet inhabiting it. So much for the gappers' ridiculous and false claim that absence of inhabitants meant imperfection.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
The late Pastor Arnold Murray of the Shepherd's Chapel taught that be correct translation in Genesis is that the Earth "became" void and without form.

He taught wrongly.

There is no "became" in that verse.

That's something devastating happened to the Earth.....

Nope. Nothing happened between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

If that is so then it's a possibility that the war that took place in the heavens actually involved the Earth.

It's not so.

That would explain why he told man to be fruitful and multiply and "replenish" the Earth.

Nope.

"Replenish" is not the correct translation. It works, but only for one of it's definitions.

The word used in the original Hebrew text was "male" (pronounced "maw-lay"). and means "to fill or be full."

There is nothing in its meaning that implies being "filled again."

I believe that the Earth is old very, very, old.

7500 years is definitely very old.

And at one point her name was Eden, God's Garden.

Genesis 1:6-8

The name of the earth was "Heaven."

I also believe it is only been just over 6,000 years since the "fall" of Adam.

Roughly 7500 years, give or take a century.

Adam fell within 14 days of Genesis 1:1.

The 6 days, I believe is a mistranslation.

You believe wrongly.

I've read the arguments concerning the word Hebrew word yom. It can also mean a period of time / a span of time / the time when / as well as other things and the translators / writers / first churches chose to use it as a literal 24-hour day.

As always, when this comes up: The CONTEXT of the word yom ALWAYS specifies its meaning.

In Genesis 1, there is no other possibility for it to mean anything other than a literal, 24-hour period. The context does not allow it.

In other passages, yes, it means "age" or an undefined period of time. But in Genesis 1, the context defines it as a normal, literal day.

Ok, and?

Right Divider

Body part
I believe that the Earth is old very, very, old.
The Earth is very old... thousands of years!
That is ridiculous.
I've read the arguments concerning the word Hebrew word yom. It can also mean a period of time / a span of time / the time when / as well as other things and the translators / writers / first churches chose to use it as a literal 24-hour day.
God chose to make it a literal ~24 hour day. How much more clear could He be?

way 2 go

evening and morning is achieved by the rotation of the earth

1 rotation of the earth = 1 day

day one earth and light without form

day two and three gave form to the earth

day four form to the light

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The late Pastor Arnold Murray of the Shepherd's Chapel taught that be correct translation in Genesis is that the Earth "became" void and without form. That's something devastating happened to the Earth..... If that is so then it's a possibility that the war that took place in the heavens actually involved the Earth.

That would explain why he told man to be fruitful and multiply and "replenish" the Earth.

I believe that the Earth is old very, very, old. And at one point her name was Eden, God's Garden.

I also believe it is only been just over 6,000 years since the "fall" of Adam.

JudgeRightly gave you the strongest argument why you are wrong. However, the weaker argument you rely on is the scientific, or material, argument. But since you rely on the material argument, you should understand you are wrong even on your own terms.

By your terms, when you say "very old" you mean far older than what science tells us it is. Although some scientists would agree with you and not me, other scientists have compelling arguments that agree with me and not you. Thus, at best, you can either struggle with the material argument without understanding the truth, or you can follow the philosophical argument and have a greater appreciation for what you just learned from JudgeRightly.

way 2 go

The Webb data, though, revealed that some very large galaxies formed really fast, in too short a time, at least according to the standard model. This was no minor discrepancy. The finding is akin to parents and their children appearing in a story when the grandparents are still children themselves.

It was not, unfortunately, an isolated incident.

I get what you Bible-denying gappers are trying to do with the "re" in "replenish", but it is really silly, and baseless, and will never work out for you. By telling man to replenish the earth, God was not telling man to do something again that had been done before. Rather, God was talking to the first man, Adam, telling him to begin, for the first time, doing something that had never been done before by man: viz., to be fruitful and multiply. Adam could not obey some command to fill the earth with some "pre-Adamite" non-men, since Adam was a man, and man only begats man.
Who are you calling a Bible denying gapper? You must be referring to yourself!

He taught wrongly.

There is no "became" in that verse.

Nope. Nothing happened between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.

It's not so.

Nope.

"Replenish" is not the correct translation. It works, but only for one of it's definitions.

The word used in the original Hebrew text was "male" (pronounced "maw-lay"). and means "to fill or be full."

There is nothing in its meaning that implies being "filled again."

7500 years is definitely very old.

Genesis 1:6-8

The name of the earth was "Heaven."

Roughly 7500 years, give or take a century.

Adam fell within 14 days of Genesis 1:1.

You believe wrongly.

As always, when this comes up: The CONTEXT of the word yom ALWAYS specifies its meaning.

In Genesis 1, there is no other possibility for it to mean anything other than a literal, 24-hour period. The context does not allow it.

In other passages, yes, it means "age" or an undefined period of time. But in Genesis 1, the context defines it as a normal, literal day.

Ok, and?
Messianic version uses became

They also believe became void and without form

Strong's concordance uses the word become quite often for the definition of the Hebrew word haw-yaw that was translated was

Haven't done since she disappeared on that you can feel I believe wrongly as is your right. I feel .... You believe wrongly

The Earth is very old... thousands of years!

That is ridiculous.

God chose to make it a literal ~24 hour day. How much more clear could He be?

Use your Strong's concordance and how it defines the word yom which is the Hebrew word for day

In the Bible does not say it was a literal 24-hour day. Man determined that a few thousand years ago and pasted down that teaching generation to generation.

God gave man the knowledge of science _ and if a thousand years to God is as one day then a million years to God will be as one day _ as well as a billion, a trillion, a zillion years as one day, because God is not subjected to time, only man is..... Quite sure you will disagree with this too.
It is your right to disagree; so disagree on; and believe whatever teachings you have been taught. Different denominations different teachings.

Arnold Murray was a blithering idiot and a false teacher.
Think of him as you choose ......
Well here are some others who agree with the blithering idiot and it's a shame that people have to insult other people to voice their opinion.

Messianic Text says a catastrophe happened most likely because of the war

https://www.bethmelekh.com/yaakovs-commentary/genesis-11-23-part-two-interpretation

And there are many other references out there other than the late Pastor Arnold Murray

I don't agree with some of their teachings but the main subject is *the earth became void and without form*- that I agree with.

Believe as you choose it is your right as it is mine to believe as I choose.

7djengo7

Haven't done since she disappeared on that you can feel I believe wrongly as is your right. I feel .... You believe wrongly

ai-robot.gif

evening and morning is achieved by the rotation of the earth

1 rotation of the earth = 1 day

day one earth and light without form

day two and three gave form to the earth

day four form to the light

Strong's concordance must be wrong when they say that the word y o m can actually be a figuratively used as a space of time or so you are indicating.
JudgeRightly gave you the strongest argument why you are wrong. However, the weaker argument you rely on is the scientific, or material, argument. But since you rely on the material argument, you should understand you are wrong even on your own terms.

By your terms, when you say "very old" you mean far older than what science tells us it is. Although some scientists would agree with you and not me, other scientists have compelling arguments that agree with me and not you. Thus, at best, you can either struggle with the material argument without understanding the truth, or you can follow the philosophical argument and have a greater appreciation for what you just learned from JudgeRightly.

No I don't understand I'm wrong - I personally believe I'm right and you are wrong.

You consider me wrong on your terms.

That is why there is so much division within the church because some Christians want to tell those that believe differently, that interpret scripture differently, as wrong. And quite frankly they can't prove as an absolute that they are right.

That is why I try never to tell a Christian they're wrong, and I don't believe another Christian should call any Christian wrong!!!! I understand why there are different interpretations of scripture and what I write I believe - I say what I believe this and there's nothing you or anyone else can say to change my beliefs. I've been studying scripture for over 60 years and seen and heard just about every different interpretation there can be of scripture and I believe what I believe.
That is what is called having respect for another one's understanding of scripture

It is written do not argue over scripture that means that even then people saw felt believed differently concerning scripture.

And I believe that God's spirit has guided me to believe as I do.

7djengo7

In the Bible does not say it was a literal 24-hour day.
If I'm not mistaken, you're the first person I've seen go to war against Genesis on a dual front of proclaiming BOTH the gap idea AND the day-age idea. You're apparently aiming to somehow get untold eons more time for the earth's history than even the Darwinists are begging for!