• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Young Earth or Old?

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
The word day as used in Genesis 1 translates the Hebrew word yôm, which often refers to 24-hour days, but in other contexts clearly refers to an unspecified period of time.
So, you're OK with thinking that "And the evening and the morning were the first day" should read "And the evening and the morning were the first [unspecified period of time]"?

Rodger

"Old Earth" flat out rejects the truth of the Bible, since the Bible truth is that God created the heaven and the earth in six, 24-hour days, no more than 10.000 years ago.
Within the current evangelical community there is a belief that the age of the earth has no bearing upon the doctrine of inerrancy.

A study was conducted in 2013 by the SBC that reveals belief in the age of the earth is one factor that contributes to the degree to which the doctrine of inerrancy is affirmed. The research revealed that there is a strongly held belief by young-earth creationists and old-earth creationists that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God.

7djengo7

Within the current evangelical community there is a belief that the age of the earth has no bearing upon the doctrine of inerrancy.

A study was conducted in 2013 by the SBC that reveals belief in the age of the earth is one factor that contributes to the degree to which the doctrine of inerrancy is affirmed. The research revealed that there is a strongly held belief by young-earth creationists and old-earth creationists that the Bible is the inerrant Word of God.
Because Christ-hating Bible-despisers cannot creep into the fold and smoothly commandeer the attention and admiration of unwary, simpleton sheep by way of "studies", eh?

Rodger

So, you're OK with thinking that "And the evening and the morning were the first day" should read "And the evening and the morning were the first [unspecified period of time]"?
I’m not even going to address this argument because analyzing word meanings and definitions can become convoluted and theoretical.

I have already shown the meaning of "yom" has different meanings based on context. I’m not saying Genesis is wrong. Instead, I am just saying that if a strict interpretation is to be taken, shouldn’t actual, empirical evidence match these claims?

Rodger

Because Christ-hating Bible-despisers cannot creep into the fold and smoothly commandeer the attention and admiration of unwary, simpleton sheep by way of "studies", eh?

What I said was based on actual Mathematics and Physics. My comments have noting to do with hating Christ or trying to gain attention in any way.

Right Divider

Body part
I’m not even going to address this argument because analyzing word meanings and definitions can become convoluted and theoretical.
You're not going to address this because you cannot.
I have already shown the meaning of "yom" has different meanings based on context.
We already agree with that. The problem for you IS the CONTEXT.

Gen 1:5 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:5) And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
I’m not saying Genesis is wrong.
Just that you don't understand it.
Instead, I am just saying that if a strict interpretation is to be taken, shouldn’t actual, empirical evidence match these claims?
It does.

Rodger

You're not going to address this because you cannot.

We already agree with that. The problem for you IS the CONTEXT.

Gen 1:5 (AKJV/PCE)
(1:5) And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Just that you don't understand it.

It does.
Thanks for your input! We do not seem to be able to agree.
Why do you feel the need to capitalize those words?
Why? Why not. Why is it a problem for you?

7djengo7

What I said was based on actual Mathematics and Physics.
Your saying what you said was you being a parrot. Same with your saying "What I said was based on actual Mathematics and Physics."
My comments have noting to do with hating Christ or trying to gain attention in any way.
Your saying "My comments have not[h]ing to do with hating Christ or trying to gain attention in any way" has nothing to do with my post to which you replied.

Rodger

We'll take that as an admission of your awareness that at the very least your having capitalized those particular words is peculiar, and outside the bounds of English grammar.

I do not care how you take it. It is absolutely ridiculous that we are having this conversation.

I capitalized two words. Big deal.

What is actually going on here????? I have never seen such animosity from so many people over nothing!