Conversation with Knight about losing faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Wonder what he'll do with his supercilious tracking of other people's reports to the Woodshed.
Supercilious? Only if you got a really bad word power booster for Christmas or don't understand what the thread was about. Or if you do but can't afford to.

For the odd newbie, Cub Reporters was actually created because I found myself to be one of the heaviest of hands on that particular, years ago, and only after it was pointed out to me indirectly by chrys, through a simple enough question. Since then I've made it a habit to keep my reports as infrequent as I can and the thread serves as a humorous reminder to everyone involved. I kept it up largely because it was popular and people would ask about it when I stopped.

I've noted myself, friends, and people like you in it. No one goes unnoticed who goes on notice.

Most of it is innocuous, and many of the reports warranted and helpful to staff. Most of the "winners" have been gracious enough and gotten the thrust of the thing.

Some don't appear to care how often they use it or over what. Take musterion's absurd report a while back alleging a racist post by me and sure to capture the Disingenuous Dingo award if chrys ever resurrects them. It's a silly, willfully obtuse stab at distortion that largely underscores a problem on the point of separating emotional baggage from objective observation.

It'll look a little hypocritical now.
Well, no. The point isn't to avoid using the function, but to be aware of it. Take this month. If I was still doing it I'd be in it, if at the "eating grass and mostly trotting after butterflies" end, at five reports. I use those sort of descriptions for marginal contributors. You'd be 3 lengths in front of me at 8 reports, more or less, and JR would be waaaaaay out in front of all comers at 33, with the nearest competition at 18 reports. That sort of thing.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It's odd because I hadn't seen Town stick his nose out of the football thread til this.
Haven't been around that much in a while and the football thread was interesting enough. Sweet of you to keep track.

Maybe I'm mistaken. I guess I could go look, but I have a hard enough time trying to keep track of who Crucifer might be. :)
And then she thought, "Wait, that sounds like I'm keeping an eye out and looking for him." :eek:

Jerry Shugart

So dead thread raising is no longer allowed?

Is the subject of this thread about losing faith?

If it is then does anyone want to try to identify the "truth" which the Apostle John refers to in the following passage?:

"The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth; For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever"
(2 Jn.1-2).​

I say that it is the same truth that James speaks of here:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:18).​

musterion

Is the subject of this thread about losing faith?

If it is then does anyone want to try to identify the "truth" which the Apostle John refers to in the following passage?:

"The elder unto the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth; and not I only, but also all they that have known the truth; For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in us, and shall be with us for ever"
(2 Jn.1-2).​

I say that it is the same truth that James speaks of here:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" (Jas.1:18).​

You're supposed to be at your local Acts 2 church, Jerry. Now they're going to audit your tithes and make you scrub the baptistry tank.

Jerry Shugart

You're supposed to be at your local Acts 2 church, Jerry. Now they're going to audit your tithes and make you scrub the baptistry tank.

I am not an Acts 2 dispensationalist but they do believe that what the following verse says:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"
(Jn.3:16).​

The Mid Acts believers on this forum deny what is written there because they say that the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved apart from works.

Please tell us what you think that the word "whosoever" means as it is used in this verse.

Or perhaps you only care about misrepresenting the views of others?

WizardofOz

Wonder what he'll do with his supercilious tracking of other people's reports to the Woodshed. It'll look a little hypocritical now.

But this is now a place where multiple death threats can apparently go unaddressed with law enforcement (not the mods' fault) so who knows. If that turns out to be true, had I known I would not have donated a few weeks ago. Wouldn't have come back at all.

:allsmile:

:wave: bye now

musterion

I am not an Acts 2 dispensationalist but they do believe that what the following verse says:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

The Mid Acts believers on this forum deny what is written there because they say that the Jews who lived under the law could not be saved apart from works.

He spoke those words in the context of the Kingdom. That makes a huge difference. That you don't realize it proves you're not as dispensational as you think -- you equate "saved" under Paul's gospel with "saved" under the covenant program. They're not the same kind of salvation.

But you've already been told that a dozen times. So how about telling us how a member of Christ's very Body -- fully forgiven and justified from all things -- can also need to persevere unto the end to be saved (Matt 24:13), since you evidently believe "saved" always means the same thing.

Do believers today, Jerry, need to persevere unto the end to be saved? Yes or no.

Jerry Shugart

He spoke those words in the context of the Kingdom. That makes a huge difference. That you don't realize it proves you're not as dispensational as you think -- you equate "saved" under Paul's gospel with "saved" under the covenant program. They're not the same kind of salvation.

Please tell me how the word "saved" as used in the following passage which applies to the Jews is different from the way that it is used under Paul's gospel:

"But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins" (Mt.1:20-21).​

Now back to the verse I quoted to you earlier:

How is that "everlasting" or "eternal" life different from the eternal life of which Paul spoke about and the Apostle John spoke about here to the Jews?:

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son" (1 Jn.5:11).​

But you've already been told that a dozen times. So how about telling us how a member of Christ's very Body -- fully forgiven and justified from all things -- can also need to persevere unto the end to be saved (Matt 24:13), since you evidently believe "saved" always means the same thing.

Do believers today, Jerry, need to persevere unto the end to be saved? Yes or no.

The words you quoted at Matthew 24:13 are speaking about "physical" life, not "eternal life." The Jews who lived under the law enjoyed eternal security just as we do. For instance, I have already shown that the Jewish believers already possessed eternal life (1 Jn.5:11) and here is what the Lord Jesus said about those to whom He gives eternal life:

"And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" (Jn.10:28).​

He also said the following to the Jews who lived under the law:

"All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out" (Jn.6:37).​

He also said the following to those who lived under the law:

"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die"
(Jn.11:25-26).​

Last edited:

glorydaz

Haven't been around that much in a while and the football thread was interesting enough. Sweet of you to keep track.

But you leapt into action when you saw a chance to pitch a fit in an old forgotten thread. :rolleyes:

And then she thought, "Wait, that sounds like I'm keeping an eye out and looking for him." :eek:

Which also has nothing to do with you, but you can't resist sticking your nose in, can you?

glorydaz

Another way to stop someone who has lost their faith is to ask where they were the last time they remember having it.

If they ask what you're up to give them a number between forty and seventy-five, or your weight.

I guess it's alright if YOU make light of this long forgotten thread....

But God forbid anyone else have a bit of fun in YOUR thread.

:mock: Meshak etal

glorydaz

Wonder what he'll do with his supercilious tracking of other people's reports to the Woodshed. It'll look a little hypocritical now.

But this is now a place where multiple death threats can apparently go unaddressed with law enforcement (not the mods' fault) so who knows. If that turns out to be true, had I known I would not have donated a few weeks ago. Wouldn't have come back at all.

You came back for my sake and the sake of others who love you. Don't you forget it. :)

Arthur Brain

What a bunch of garbage that is. How can a person troll someone who is never here.

Oh, that's right...they can suddenly jump back into the spotlight, like Town did. :popcorn:

Who knows, maybe he was bored and/or didn't realize that anna hasn't been here in months. What purpose do you suppose he had other than talking trash? Sure didn't fly as he was booted from the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.