Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

toldailytopic: Who do you think would make a good TOL moderator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
    I like him. Another right wing Christian, so no real departure, but a good egg and a fine choice.

I think fool would be the bolder choice and another good one. He has a sense of humor and no real enemies here that I'm aware of. And I don't think you have to be a Christian to understand and enforce the rules, that he'd be less inclined than most to jump the gun. Most of the suggestions have been good ones, though most would be polarizing on some level.

I'd be great () but too divisive among a certain segment of the membership. And, worse, I wouldn't do it. I think the best job here is being a member. I like that freedom.

Anna would be great, I think a bit like cattyfan, but there's no way she'd say yes and I think she stays busy enough at any rate.

SD would spend too much of her time trying to track down IPs.

Psalmist would clog the machinery with graphics laced infractions.

SoJ would actually be terrific...shoot. Unless he tried to lace his duties with humor. Then there could be trouble.

Bybee would leave the place covered in the blood of trolls, but then who would we talk about?

zoo...I'd support him, but he'd probably ban me. He thinks he's been cleverly setting that up but I'm onto him (thanks SD).

I was going to say Buzzword, but he left me off his list so nuts to him and he'd better hope I never am a moderator.

Stripe...given his judgment on the fair/right business I don't think I could trust him to be either, so that's another nope.

Rusha is an atheist and if fool can't get around that no one from that camp can, though I think she'd be a good one.

Vaq and Granite...yikes. In the end there could be only one and I think we need both.

IK would be a great pick. She already got most of it. I think she's picked up the rest AND it would make Sod pass out, given his conduct since.

That's gold.

Who am I leaving out? Oh, yeah, TomO, Light, AB and Tam.

Well then...

There go those votes.
    And then we get to TH.

Bastion of truth. Purveyor of humor (sorry, AB, humo(u)r in your language).

I think he would make a fine choice.

He doesn't always see eye-to-eye with the upper echelons, but he is "fair and balanced." (Sorry, TH, for the Fox News reference.)

In all seriousness, though, I have liked TH since day one.

Then again, I like most folks that aren't anti-bbq and beans, so I may not be saying anything particularly noteworthy.
    The Author of all watches over me, and I have a fine horse.

Abortion is murder. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by annabenedetti View Post
      I agree completely with the first three, but disagree on the necessity for your last. We already have mods who fit the last, so adding a mod who might not personally agree with TOL beliefs, but who understands and respects the TOL commandments and applies them well could be a real asset to the moderating team.
      I'll tell you why.

Because the mods should be a close knit committee.
      And the best way to have less dissension within a committee is for all to have the same basic principles.

The worst committee you can have is one that has members that disagree on too many things.

After all, this is a theology site; so the committee elected to maintain TOL should reflect TOL.

We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
      They already know monsters exist.
      We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stripe View Post
        And all completely opposed to certain fundamentals. Whoever has a stick on TOL needs to be able to use it regardless of the "fairness" that lot bleats about.
        but that's not fairrrrrrrrr

Originally posted by fool View Post
        Vaquero45 is a steady hand.
        Him and Granite seem to have some deep seated feud going however.
        simple solution

permaban granite

Originally posted by vegascowboy View Post
        Depends on the mustard, I suppose.

I'm rather taken with French's, but I don't cotton to that fancy French stuff.
        I'm partial to the super hot chinese mustard that gives you the burn at the back of your neck

Originally posted by Tambora View Post
        Needs to be one that does not get their feelings hurt easily.
        I don't have feelings

Needs to be one that is present on a daily basis (or close to it).
        I think I could manage this one

Needs to be one that is not intimidated by others.
        no idea what you're talking about

Needs to be one that has the same beliefs that TOL wants to represent (or close to it).

Comment

He must be a Christian
          in houses which Allah has ordered to be raised and that His name be mentioned therein; exalting Him within them in the morning and the evenings

Comment

Originally posted by Knight View Post

toldailytopic: Who do you think would make a good TOL moderator?

ninevah
            poly
            crow

they ran a tight ship

Comment

Originally posted by Tambora View Post
              I'll tell you why.

And the best way to have less dissension within a committee is for all to have the same basic principles.

The worst committee you can have is one that has members that disagree on too many things.

After all, this is a theology site; so the committee elected to maintain TOL should reflect TOL.
              Have someone of differing view might cause too much bickering within the ranks.

Here are some quotes from the TOL rules.

"TOL is entering it's 12th year. The following rules are the most current commandments for our forum. Follow these rules and you will be a happy camper here on TOL. Break these rules and you will likely be banned. Keep in mind TOL is a biased forum, leaning very far to the Christian right, and therefore we interpret our rules from OUR perspective. There are many dissenting voices on TOL who have been debating us and fellowshipping with us for years, but those voices understand whose house party they are at and are respectful of that."

"4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause. Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden."

Someone's who's views are not in line with this may have a hard time moderating with this in mind. You would not want to place a wolverine in charge of a caribou herd to keep wolves from eating it. Likewise you would not want someone who is ideologically dissimilar with the owners of the forum. This is a Christian site. I've seen other Christian sites fail because non-Christians or ideologically dissimilar people were allowed to moderate. The result is chaos. It looks good on paper, but in the real world it doesn't work.

June is Gay Pride Month.Tolerance and diversity? ☞ More like tolerate perversity.☠

Comment

My vote is for no more mods. Less is more.

Delmar does a great job and is above any personal drama.
                β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Comment

Oh speaking of ... WoO. Another member who would make a great mod.
                  A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man
                  we can trust with nuclear weapons.

Bill Clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Inzl Kett View Post
                    Have someone of differing view might cause too much bickering within the ranks.

Here are some quotes from the TOL rules.

"TOL is entering it's 12th year. The following rules are the most current commandments for our forum. Follow these rules and you will be a happy camper here on TOL. Break these rules and you will likely be banned. Keep in mind TOL is a biased forum, leaning very far to the Christian right, and therefore we interpret our rules from OUR perspective. There are many dissenting voices on TOL who have been debating us and fellowshipping with us for years, but those voices understand whose house party they are at and are respectful of that."

"4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause. Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden."

Someone's who's views are not in line with this may have a hard time moderating with this in mind. You would not want to place a wolverine in charge of a caribou herd to keep wolves from eating it. Likewise you would not want someone who is ideologically dissimilar with the owners of the forum. This is a Christian site. I've seen other Christian sites fail because non-Christians or ideologically dissimilar people were allowed to moderate. The result is chaos. It looks good on paper, but in the real world it doesn't work.
                    Yep.
                    Contrary to popular belief, TOL is not a democracy.

We don't tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters exist.
                    We tell our children fairy tales so that they will know that monsters can be killed.

Comment

• Originally posted by WizardofOz View Post
                      My vote is for no more mods. Less is more.

Delmar does a great job and is above any personal drama.

maybe Del's tired of dealing with all the childish crap

nin, crow, poly?

they didn't take crap from anyone - cross the line and you were outta here

come back whining about it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tambora View Post
                        Yep.
                        Contrary to popular belief, TOL is not a democracy.
                        but that's not faaaaaiiiiiiir!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tambora View Post
                          I'll tell you why.

I see what you're saying, and it makes sense. I had in mind Rusha when I wrote that, though, and she's shown repeatedly that she not only understands but respects the principles underlying the TOL commandments.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

• Originally posted by Buzzword View Post
                            Whoever gets picked, it needs to be someone who will consistently move the religion threads which keep popping up in Politics to their correct place in the Forum.
                            Yep.

Maintaining the structure set forth in TOL is also a responsibility of the mod committee.
                            It's not just about banning those that make offensive comments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stripe View Post
                              You think "fair" is more important than right.
                              In what way? Can you give an example of when you think I'd do the 'fair' thing over the 'right' thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusha View Post
                                I guess we could always base the decision of the moderator on his/her choice of mustard.
                                I think some kind of cross reference between mustard preference and beard length and handgun calibur advocatcy would be just as legite as any.
                                I'm gonna come out as a spicy mustard, long beard .40 caliber guy.
                                But I could be a plain mustard, clean shaven, 9mm guy without much of a stretch.
                                Everyman is a voice in the dark.

Comment

Working...
                                X