toldailytopic: Church pet peeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate it if the pastor starts crying from the pulpit. That's one that will make me never come back.

hmm... didn't expect to read tihs kinda thing..

Why?

i think it would kinda ... uh... what's the word?

moving?

to see a pastor cry. I have often wanted to cry hearing certain things in the Word.. but ppl get uncomfrotable when othrs cry in public, so i try to control that..

Even so, if i felt the tears weren't sincere ... that would annoy me..

I have a fairly long list:

priests who aren't really Catholic/Christian -- :bang: -- is at the top of the list
.. say things contrary to Christ's Word... or any Word in the Scirptures :noway:

when ppl are only Christian at Church and afterwards act like they wish you would drop dead (etc) :plain:

when ppl go along w/ the priest just cus he's a priest... (.. Example: don't complain about that 1st pet p. i mentioned & dont like it when others do)

when Catholics never want to spend time in the Real Presence... just leave Mass as soon as (or b4) its over. i sometimes have to leave early myself so i u/stand how this could hapn sometimes... but ALL the time?? hmmm...

when part of the Mass is made into a mini-social hour.. :(..the shaking of hands in the middle of the Mass... Geez!! :bang: Can't we focus on God for ONE hour a week ... without focusing also on sinful, messed up humanoids (that some of us woiuld just as soon forget ALL the time anyhow)??? i mean, for crying out loud, we have to deal with humands all week long... and God gets only an hour... (except for daily Mass attendees..)

Vatican 2 !!! yikes!

As Jesus said, in the Garden of G: "Could you not watch w/ Me one hour?"

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

when ppl are only Christian at Church and afterwards act like they wish you would drop dead (etc) :plain:

when part of the Mass is made into a mini-social hour.. :(..the shaking of hands in the middle of the Mass... Geez!! :bang: Can't we focus on God for ONE hour a week ... without focusing also on sinful, messed up humanoids (that some of us woiuld just as soon forget ALL the time anyhow)??? i mean, for crying out loud, we have to deal with humands all week long.

:chuckle:

bybee

How about when people get so caught up in the fake prayer that they interchange "Father" and "Jesus"?

"Father we just ask you Lord Jesus that you'd place a hedge of protection Lord around our dear brother Alvin, Father, and protect him Jesus from the schemes of the enemy Lord."

:dizzy:

That's what I call Hemming and Hawing for Jesus!

InHope

the aerobics of a full Mass.

stand up!
Sit down!
Kneel!

Repeat!

If you call that a workout, my friend, you must have serious mobility issues.

For me, one of my biggest annoyances is the extreme focus most of the congregation seems to have on the people going to receive Communion- I like to spend this time (both going up and kneeling afterward) to reflect, but all the eyes I feel on me makes it difficult to focus my thoughts.... Though I'm still guilty of this myself on occasion :(

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
"Every head bowed/every eye closed."

When I run into that I like to make eye contact and smile. :D

Collection plates. I know people who don't attend because they're embarrassed not to be able to contribute.

genuineoriginal

Amen! Not that they have the status, per se, but that they'll accept a government muzzle to keep it. To me, that is beneath contempt.

Every "church", or religious establishment by any other name, is automatically outside of Federal law in the U.S.
Accepting the 501c designation changes a "church" into a "non-profit organization" that is governed by Federal law.

Samstarrett

Every "church", or religious establishment by any other name, is automatically outside of Federal law in the U.S.
Accepting the 501c designation changes a "church" into a "non-profit organization" that is governed by Federal law.

Are you saying a religious organization is automatically tax-exempt, or that they should pay taxes rather than accept limitations on their speech? The latter I agree with, if it comes to that. The former is a question of fact on which I confess I am ignorant.

Kit Fisto

BANNED
Banned
People who can’t even bother to take off their coat in the house of the Lord, why bother coming if you are in such a hurry to leave.

genuineoriginal

Are you saying a religious organization is automatically tax-exempt, or that they should pay taxes rather than accept limitations on their speech? The latter I agree with, if it comes to that. The former is a question of fact on which I confess I am ignorant.

The Federal government is prohibited from creating any tax law that applies to a religious establishment. (Of course, whether the Federal government will actually follow the laws of the constitution and amendments is another topic). The state governments were to have their own policies regarding religious establishments, and several of the founding states had state approved religious denominations.

I am not an expert, but there are experts in the Institute on the Constitution (IOTC) that could answer your questions.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
People who can’t even bother to take off their coat in the house of the Lord, why bother coming if you are in such a hurry to leave.

Hi, Fisty.
Why do you call it the house of the Lord?

Thanks,
Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.