toldailytopic: Church pet peeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurucam

how, they are fulfilling Jesus' prophecy, i.e. how so many are called there, misled, err and not chosen.

Gurucam

How they keep telling their followers to love this one and love that one and love every one. When in fact love has its own mind. And love's urgings arise and are sustained naturally and spontaneously (out of its own volition) within our individual hearts, for very specific people things and circumstances in God's creation.

How they say that agape love last for ever, when, within our hearts, love arises, is sustained for a while and then fall off quite on it own.

How they bless marriages and then say God has put them together and no man can put them asunder . . . then as early as months later, man do put them asunder.

Buzzword

Babies.
Seriously, I understand you have a small child in your lap (especially in our church), but if you can't keep the kid quiet, TAKE HIM OUTSIDE.

Cell phones ringing.
Really? We can't disconnect from the grid for a few hours a week to connect to God and other people IN PERSON?

Pastors who preach like they've been asleep up until it's "their time" to stand up.
I've had many a service RUINED because the music and testimonies were letting God's presence fill the room, and when the pastor got up he just kicked Him out.
Conversely, I LOVE (because this whole thread has been nothing but complaining) that my pastor is able to join the rest of us in being filled with the presence of God, to the point that on several occasions he's just gotten up and said "You know, if I add anything at this point, I'll just ruin what God has been doing this morning."

Pressure to conform.
Our church is a "young parents" church.
It seems like there's at least three baby dedications every month.
My wife and I (being college students) are WAITING to have children, and for some reason we cannot get this concept into the heads of the hordes of grandmas who surround us every Sunday during "pass the peace" (i.e. handshake-good-morning-God-bless-you time) to ask my large-framed wife when the baby's due.

Tracts.
So many churches, especially in their youth programs, have fallen into the consumerist idea of short-n-sweet advertising.
As if a completely life- and nature-changing experience and transformation could EVER be summed up into some kind of 4-step program.

That's all I can think of at the moment...

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Among many other things, I hate church-speak, like:
  • "Let's bow our heads and hearts"
  • "Pray for travelling mercies"
  • Using "Lord", "Father", "Jesus", and "God" 35 times in a single 2-minute prayer
  • "Lord we pray a hedge of protection around our dear sister"
  • Calling a carpeted step an "altar"
  • Etc.

mercies?
Yes, I do agree, shaky rather than holy is not for me.

I hate it if the pastor starts crying from the pulpit. That's one that will make me never come back.

Jimmy Swaggart anyone?:chew:

Slooooooow repetitive songs. (just kill me please....)

Also, the latest self help, how to be swell sermon, version 999,999,001.5 where all the sad-faced come up for prayer afterward, just like they did Every Sunday for the last 20 years.

"Give me that old time religion, it was good enough for David, it's good enough for me"
All the hymns which distract from the Christian gospel
Too many hymns
Clappy happy, hand raising, emotional release religion, with the band and all.

I like a good expository sermon and fellowship!

heir

TOL Subscriber
when a man behind the pulpit speaks for a half an hour or more and does not preach the power of God unto salvation

when a man behind the pulpit perverts the gospel of Christ

when they speak more about what they do rather than what God has done

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Church pet peeves.

A preacher/pastor who says to their congregation, "You people...." I guess the preacher/pastor forgot what Isaiah said, "For all we...."

When the regular members of the congregation forget to leave a couple back rows of seating for the visitors.

When the pastor sends a committee of two or three to do hospital and nursing home visitation, saying that he doesn't have time. To me that's just wrong.

As for a weeping preacher/pastor, I have wept momentarily at times, and it is for the love I for Jesus and the Gospel, and those that I serve, the ill and infirm with broken bodies; those that we serve have told Mrs Psalmist that your husband has a heart of compassion and love for us and Jesus. If I didn't have the compassion and love for those I serve, I would be finished with the chaplaincy in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Thunder's Muse

I don't attend church and haven't done for many years, so I don't have any current pet peeves. However, from what I remember:

Duty before people - When I was younger, I attended the Salvation Army. It was all about Duty and being seen to fulfill your obligations. eg: when my parents finally divorced, I took a Sunday off because it upset me. The following Sunday, I received a lecture about missing Church...then was asked how everyone else was coping with the Divorce.

Speaking in Tounges - When I was about 15 or so, a bunch of us were locked in a back room, to pray until we spoke in tounges. :plain:

Just Pray about it - That's pretty much all I got told when I remembered being sexually abused. Pray about it. Then when I sank into depression, I was 'dropped' by my Christian friends because I was now a 'sinner'.

Judgement rather than compassion - This one was the final straw for me and the reason I will never join a Church again. Looking for God during my self destructive days, I began attending a friends Church. An old boyfriend, who was now married occasioned the Church with his wife. One evening, my ex told me he still had feelings for me. Seeing this as a problem, I went to a Church elder, who was also (I thought) a friend. A few days later, the Head Pastor of the Church rang me and told me I was no longer welcome and to never return.

A bit of a vent, I know...but Church is still a very big sore point for me.

Samstarrett

Duty before people - When I was younger, I attended the Salvation Army. It was all about Duty and being seen to fulfill your obligations. eg: when my parents finally divorced, I took a Sunday off because it upset me. The following Sunday, I received a lecture about missing Church...then was asked how everyone else was coping with the Divorce.

God preserve us. My sincerest sympathies. I can't believe Christians do that to each other.

Speaking in Tounges - When I was about 15 or so, a bunch of us were locked in a back room, to pray until we spoke in tounges. :plain:

:noway: Supra.

Just Pray about it - That's pretty much all I got told when I remembered being sexually abused. Pray about it. Then when I sank into depression, I was 'dropped' by my Christian friends because I was now a 'sinner'.

Again, I am horrified.

Judgement rather than compassion - This one was the final straw for me and the reason I will never join a Church again. Looking for God during my self destructive days, I began attending a friends Church. An old boyfriend, who was now married occasioned the Church with his wife. One evening, my ex told me he still had feelings for me. Seeing this as a problem, I went to a Church elder, who was also (I thought) a friend. A few days later, the Head Pastor of the Church rang me and told me I was no longer welcome and to never return.

:doh: God preserve us.

A bit of a vent, I know...but Church is still a very big sore point for me.

I don't blame you, after experiences like that. I hope my commiseration didn't come off sarcastic. I get the feeling it might be taken that way, but I assure you I am quite sincere.

Peace,
Sam

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My pet peeves--I have a lot of them because, for the most part, we have an emasculated Church today.

1. Tongues being a 'requirement' for being saved.

2. 'Revivals' that go into the wee hours of the morning.

3. 'Prophets' that don't know you from Adam that come up to you and say there is sin in your life, but won't tell you exactly what it is.:kookoo:

4. Pastors that preach from the pulpit tolerance for homosexuality.

5. Preachers that don't know their bible. Yes I had one that preached that Isaac wrestled with the Angel of the Lord and injured his hip!

6. Churches that require emotionalism as a sign of maturity.

7. Masons allowed as Elders and Deacons.

8. The new 'Hymns' that are all fluff and no substance.

9. Syrupy diabetic Christian art. (Teddy bears, Bunnies, Flowers, Frogs etc)

10. Loud sermons on the evils of jay walking. Sermons that are all fluff.

11. Female preachers.

Tico

Singing doctrinally incorrect songs--"Take not your Holy Spirit from me."

Some one gets up and says, "This is the day that the Lord has made."

The worship guy/gal prays and includes a phrase in his prayer that mysteriously finds itself in the next song.

Praying in a group about a tough situation and some one binds Satan while everyone else sits there envious that they didn't say it first.

Tico

Point taken. So when did this one change?

BTW, I'm not disagreeing or arguing with your view atm, merely trying to understand it.

No problem. It changed by the time the following was written:

Eph. 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Status
Not open for further replies.