toldailytopic: Should vegetarians have equal rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All of my assumptions are based on Scripture plainly.

Plain to whom? It isn't at all plain to me....

As far as I know....I have no idea....I would guess....I do not know.

You guess. Opinion.

Prior to the flood is was not lawful to eat meat (Gen. 9:3). In Eden, they did not eat meat (Gen. 1:29).

So those are the ONLY scriptures you are going to share....meanwhile ignoring those that pertain specifically to God's giving us meat for our consumption?

Interesting. :plain:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Go to Taiwan, and you will meet many happy friendly vegetarians.

I lived in Taiwan for a number of years. I encountered many great vegetarian dishes there.

When I asked a great many people, however, if they were vegetarian...do you know their response to me?

"Sometimes."

In other words, they were vegetarian for periods of time, but they would eat meat (chicken, pork, fish) to suit their needs and when family occasions demanded such.

I am very confident that the great majority of Taiwanese people are NOT strict vegetarians.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'm a vegetarian today. I'll be eating a tomato & mozzarella panini with broccoli and cheese soup for lunch and meatless spaghetti with fresh garlic bread sticks for dinner. :chew:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Me a veggie? Not. I am a member of PETA -People Eating Tasty Animals.

I am gonna have myself some nice polish sausage for lunch. :cool:

El DLo

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but if you're asking if they should receive special treatment, I'd say no.

I was a vegan for three years until just a few weeks ago. I was never into it for the animal rights reason, but similarly I never expected someone to accommodate me. I realize that many vegetarians and vegans put off a bad stigma for the others by being militaristic about their diets or demanding special treatment, but they need to acknowledge that their lifestyle isn't one that really should require special treatment.

As a vegan, the only special treatment I've ever asked for was asking if a particular dish contained dairy products, and that was the extent of it.

edit: Reading back through the thread, I saw some people comparing it to gay rights. My stance is that they should be treated the same way. In the same way that I believe a religious institution should have the right to decide whether or not to allow same sex marriages, I think that a food establish should have the right to decide whether or not to accommodate vegetarians. It's not the responsibility of a burger place to maintain a second grill that meat never touches. If that burger place chooses to do so, they can chock it up to a selling point. As long as they're not lying about their facilities, then I see no problem with it.

chair

I lived in Taiwan for a number of years. I encountered many great vegetarian dishes there.

When I asked a great many people, however, if they were vegetarian...do you know their response to me?

"Sometimes."

In other words, they were vegetarian for periods of time, but they would eat meat (chicken, pork, fish) to suit their needs and when family occasions demanded such.

I am very confident that the great majority of Taiwanese people are NOT strict vegetarians.

I don't doubt that many are "sometimes" vegetarians- but there are certainly some who are strictly vegetarian.

All in all I like Taiwan.

Cracked

Interesting. :plain:

Here it is for you clearly:
In Eden, there was no meat eating.
God did not officially allow meat eating until after the flood.

You can try to argue against that if you will, but the more interesting question is - why would you? Obviously, we can eat meat now. It would seem to me that those who just don't want to believe the obvious do so in an effort to exalt their own behavior and place it beyond any argument. Is it not enough for you to simply be justified in eating meat? Is it your duty to belittle those that do not, even though there is biblical support for abstaining? Could it be that you hate the thought that perhaps (oh there is that word again) God's way, when fully realized, is not congruent with your own?

Somethings are difficult to be absolutely certain about. Invincible ignorance is not something that I consider a virtue so I avoid it. People who have it "all figured out" most certainly do not. Mystery is always better than half-truths and lies born from alien ideology and cloaked in self-righteous indignation. Somethings are not perfectly clear - wisdom recognizes that.

genuineoriginal

Then why are we giving a protected status to people who prefer their own gender? Hello. :dunce: It's just plain stupid. Can you see the hypocrisy here?
The text was adapted from a state constitutional amendment that was passed by the majority of people in the state in an election then overturned by the united states supreme court for being too narrow and too broad at the same time.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
All of my assumptions are based on Scripture plainly.

As far as I know, you get a glorified body eventually (2 Cor. 5:3). You do not stay as a spirit in a spirit realm. I have no idea if that means you eat or not (Perhaps Jesus did - John 21). I would guess that we do not slaughter animals for food for reasons I have already stated. You can decide for yourself if you think we will eat or not, or go the restroom. Perhaps we will have the former without the latter? I do not know.

Prior to the flood is was not lawful to eat meat (Gen. 9:3). In Eden, they did not eat meat (Gen. 1:29). Perhaps the shepherds got wool and milk from the sheep? In Christ's kingdom, we see a return to this idyllic order. When this happens is matter of debate. The spirit may go to be with the Lord upon death, but it is reunited with a glorified body upon Christ's return (1 Thess. 4:16). Then:

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox."
Isaiah 11

There will be no more death (Rev. 21). Otherworldly heaven is not our permanent abode, but an interlude. It is the Kingdom of God on Earth where we will reside. This will be grand beyond either of our own ideas or expectations. I am not concerned with eating or eliminating, as you are.

This is convoluted presumptuous baloney! In Gen:4 is clearly states Able was a shepherd, one sacrifices the lamb by bleeding it and cooking it as part of an offering for thanks, as we sat grace today. You would have to be a moron to believe the sheep were not for food.

You think you will be on earth when Jesus said His kingdom was not of this world? You believe the earth is Greater then Heaven?

You idea about 'glorified body', being raised incorruptible does mean without decay. Further, you need to bear in mind, the people of that time would not imagine happiness without a body. Everything that swayed people away from God was carnal because all earthly pleasure was carnal. Grasping happiness without carnal reward was the major sin of man. Being of flesh, we are saved by faith in Christ, yet remain infected with carnality, until we are raised incorruptible, that which is incorruptible is no longer flesh. Yes, Jesus took on an earthly form, but did not bleed and was not recognized as He would have been as before the Resurrection.

You have made a mess of scripture. :(

Cracked

This is convoluted presumptuous baloney! In Gen:4 is clearly states Able was a shepherd, one sacrifices the lamb by bleeding it and cooking it as part of an offering for thanks, as we sat grace today. You would have to be a moron to believe the sheep were not for food.

You think you will be on earth when Jesus said His kingdom was not of this world? You believe the earth is Greater then Heaven?

You idea about 'glorified body', being raised incorruptible does mean without decay. Further, you need to bear in mind, the people of that time would not imagine happiness without a body. Everything that swayed people away from God was carnal because all earthly pleasure was carnal. Grasping happiness without carnal reward was the major sin of man. Being of flesh, we are saved by through faith in Christ, yet remain infected with carnality, until we are raised incorruptible, that which is incorruptible is no longer flesh. Yes, Jesus took on an earthly form, but did not bleed and was not recognized as He would have been as before the Resurrection.

You have made a mess of scripture. :(

No - I have simply expressed what it says. You are being "presumptions", strictly speaking (assuming things not written). Perhaps the things in Scripture you have decided do not make sense to you theologically are your problem. This may help you:
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1710844,00.html

I am not sure that I agree with everything Wright states in the interview, but I suppose the beginning could be enlightening to many.

As far as many can tell, we do not stay in a disembodied realm of clouds and harps, according to the Bible. As for the original basis of our discussion (meat eating), please see my most recent response to vegascowboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.