toldailytopic: Animal hoarding. How many pets is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 9th, 2011 10:40 AM

toldailytopic: Animal hoarding. How many pets is too many?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Animal hoarding. How many pets is too many?

:think:

Michael Vick: 1.

Me? I have two dogs now and eight cats, all well provided for. I once had four dogs and ten cats, but time is thinning their ranks. Granite is right on the principle.

Buzzword

Know thyself.
If you are fully capable of taking care of a hoard of beasties, more power to you.

If you CAN'T? KNOW YOU CAN'T, and DON'T DO IT.

Granite

Hall of Fame
How about a general rule of thumb?

Has anyone watched that Animal Planet show... Confessions: Animal Hoarding.

There are some pretty awful stories on that show. The people live in pure filth just because they cannot stop taking in more and more animals. It's really bizarre.

Haven't watched the show but there have been some recent incidents around here on those exact same lines: a woman who insisted on keeping a dozen or so horses, even though they were several-feet-deep in their own filth and couldn't escape their barn; a farm overrun with cats, sheep, cows, dogs, and horses all in various stages of agony or dying; and a cat lady recently evicted because she was keeping fifty of these poor creatures in a single bedroom apartment, most of which needed to be euthanized.

It gets to the point where these folks don't appear to be sadistic, simply disturbed, and genuinely unable to grasp that they're not fit to care for these creatures.

The rule could be...

"If you can take care of all (read: snout-to-rear) aspects of its alimentary process, nurture the animal, care for it, shelter it, inflict no undue harm, and provide a safe and stable environment, go right on ahead. If by taking on the ownership of more creatures you jeopardize any aspect of the above, you'll be deemed unfit for animal ownership."

Sonrise

This is a sensitive thing for me. I love animals.

As a kid growing up, I had a cat and dog most of the time, and all we did for them was feed and love them. Now with the regulations of licensing and health care for them, it takes more than just that for responsible care.

I don't understand why there are those who allow their homes to get into such condition but I think I can understand taking them in that way.

I just hope I never become one of "them"...and think that is not really loving animals but being some kind of obsession.

Interesting thread.

Dena

T
I just hope I never become one of "them"...and think that is not really loving animals but being some kind of obsession.

I too think it's obsessive. If it were strictly about love and concern they would be more apt to realize they are causing harm to the animals.

Squishes

You've never had a pet?

I didn't say that. I had pets when I was a kid. I had dogs, cats, horses, mice, etc. But I don't think I would get a pet again. Come to think of it, there is something peculiar about an adult who gains some sort of companionship with an animal (especially snakes, birds, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.