toldailytopic: Animal hoarding. How many pets is too many?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Our city has an ordinance... 3 dog/cat limit.

Just curious, and trying to stick close enough to the topic, should there be ordinances like this due to considerations such as neighbors or others who might be affected by your pets?

taikoo

We had an 11 foot Burmese but he was very thin and wouldn't eat.

aww poor thing! did you get it already that size? did you ever get it to eat? what happened to it? ours was just maybe 18" when we got it but they sure grow fast!

the one we had was a very aggressive feeder! When the baby was due it was past time to send it to a new home, now it has a job with a guy who goes round to schools etc and gives talks.

Dena

aww poor thing! did you get it already that size? did you ever get it to eat? what happened to it? ours was just maybe 18" when we got it but they sure grow fast!

He was about that size when my husband got him. He was being mistreated so my husband took him knowing he wasn't in the best of health. He died a few years ago. He never really did eat much.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I didn't say that. I had pets when I was a kid. I had dogs, cats, horses, mice, etc. But I don't think I would get a pet again. Come to think of it, there is something peculiar about an adult who gains some sort of companionship with an animal (especially snakes, birds, etc).
That peculiarity is also known as a breadth of spirit, generosity, empathy and a certain more intimate connection to nature. Sorry you lost yours. :D

Son of Jack

Animal hoarding. How many pets is too many?

:think:

Michael Vick: 1.

Me? I have two dogs now and eight cats, all well provided for. I once had four dogs and ten cats, but time is thinning their ranks. Granite is right on the principle.

Like Granite and TH said, it's about being able to care for them.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One is too many if the owner does not care for them properly. By properly, I am referring to more than just feeding, giving them water, and taking them to the vet.

They should also receive enough attention by their owner to leave them feeling secure and loved.

taikoo

He was about that size when my husband got him. He was being mistreated so my husband took him knowing he wasn't in the best of health. He died a few years ago. He never really did eat much.

should have taken him to the everglades........

genuineoriginal

If you have more pets than you can keep fed, that is too many.

Even if you can keep them all fed, more than two pairs of each kind and seven pairs of each of the clean kinds would be too many. Of course if you did have that many, you would need something as big as the ark to house them in.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Come to think of it, there is something peculiar about an adult who gains some sort of companionship with an animal (especially snakes, birds, etc).
What's wrong with having an animal for a companion?

I have a cat that I really enjoy, and I think he enjoys my company as well.

:idunno:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We have one dog, 7 hens and 6 roosters! The dog the hens and one of the roosters are pets. The other five roosters are going to be eaten!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Animal hoarding, in itself begs the question, when someone has many pets it is not very good. It would be similar, calling someone a pack rat for keep stacks of papers, when, in the case of papers, sometimes it is a necessity.

How many pets is too many? This is more the question, assuming one is not already wrong, as would be the case in animal hoarding, the answer might be relative to individual dedication and care ability. If one takes good care of many pets, it seems more a person interest in animals and a rational choice to keep many. If one takes in strays as some rural people seem to do, because they are present at hand, does not mean one is committed to taking proper care of the animal. It seems to come down to personal responsibility, one is responsible is better than the desire to be responsible, but is not.
Is there a fixed number, it would be hard to say, just as it is hard to make a good assumption as to what kind of animal one might manage. I might like to have the big wolfy below, but hardly am able to be responsible for sure a creature.

SteveB

how many?

how many?

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 9th, 2011 10:40 AM

I'd say there are two criteria in considering this topic.
1- how big is your pocket book?
2- how much time have you got?

Pocket book could include size of property on which the pets are housed.
Time would be in taking care of them all. We've probably all seen Dogtown by now, and perhaps witnessed what Michael Vick's dogs went through in their recovery.
Pets require time and attention-- if you ain't got it-- don't do it.
They also require food, and exercise-- if you ain't got it-- don't do it.
While they can be great companions, they require our help too....

Squishes

That peculiarity is also known as a breadth of spirit, generosity, empathy and a certain more intimate connection to nature. Sorry you lost yours. :D

I'm glad you have an intimate connection with your cats. I prefer other people, but I suppose as long as you think you talk to God, an animal or eight cannot hurt anything. So I guess there is nothing extra peculiar about you over and above your animism.

What's wrong with having an animal for a companion?

I have a cat that I really enjoy, and I think he enjoys my company as well.

:idunno:

Why would you think that?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't see the point of owning animals (in the 21st century) unless you are Amish.

From that perspective, I buy my animals already butchered at Safeway.

Two many is when you infringe on other peoples safety and health with disease or aggresiveness. If you have a bull and you know he gores, he needs to become hamburger.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I'm glad you have an intimate connection with your cats. I prefer other people, but I suppose as long as you think you talk to God, an animal or eight cannot hurt anything. So I guess there is nothing extra peculiar about you over and above your animism.

He is an Episcopalian, he does not believe in animism.:chew:

Alate_One

I don't see the point of owning animals (in the 21st century) unless you are Amish.

Backyard fresh eggs don't appeal to you?

How about something fluffy and warm to hold?

53131_goldiejan.jpg

Alate_One

We had chickens growing up, and there is nothing I could be threatened with that could make me own them again.
That was how my dad acted when we said we were getting them. Then again we have six and I think he had 30+ growing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.