toldailytopic: Gun control. Should there be any limit to the type of gun or weapon th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 7th, 2010 10:32 AM

toldailytopic: Gun control. Should there be any limit to the type of gun or weapon that a citizen can possess?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Only if it would pose a clear and present danger to the owner. Also some weapons do require a certain level of instruction and training.

I don't think someone living in the burbs should buy a grenade launcher, for example, but if you're sitting on 100 acres up in Maine, feel free.

Quincy

If they can pass training and background checks I say let them have whatever gun they want. Any type of weapon period is a different story though.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Gun control. Should there be any limit to the type of gun or weapon that a citizen can possess?

I'd have to draw the line at flame throwers. They're just too darn indiscriminate. :plain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think of a Stephen King bit here, and ask you all to draw the line at perhaps one item:

Hey, kids! Special in this Vietnam footlocker!
1 ROCKET LAUNCHER
20 SURFACE-TO-AIR "TWISTER" MISSILES
ONE SCALE-MODEL THERMONUCLEAR WEAPON

WizardofOz

Everyone believes in some level of gun control. Perhaps not in regard to the type of weapon a citizen may possess, but what type of citizen is allowed to possess.

Quincy

I think of a Stephen King bit here, and ask you all to draw the line at perhaps one item:

Hey, kids! Special in this Vietnam footlocker!
1 ROCKET LAUNCHER
20 SURFACE-TO-AIR "TWISTER" MISSILES
ONE SCALE-MODEL THERMONUCLEAR WEAPON

Indeed! The day Wal-mart starts selling mini nukes here in the US, I'm moving to Norway.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Gun control. Should there be any limit to the type of gun or weapon that a citizen can possess?

If a person meets the requirements that most states require for a concealed weapon permit - not a felon, etc. - then I do NOT think that there should be any limit.

In Clark County (Las Vegas) we can only have a CFP (concealed firearm permit) and not a full CCW.

I am a HUGE supporter of gun rights and a life-long member of the NRA.

Aletheia

Everyone believes in some level of gun control. Perhaps not in regard to the type of weapon a citizen may possess, but what type of citizen is allowed to possess.
If we punished criminals as we should this wouldn't be an issue.

Guns are good for one thing only...KILLING. :Grizzly:

"Thou shall not kill."
Maybe you should read it again. The command was "Thou shalt not murder."

And if you think I don't know what I'm talking about, explain to me why God also commanded that murderers be executed, or why He commanded that if you caught someone breaking into your home you were perfectly within your rights to kill them...

nicholsmom

Guns are good for one thing only...KILLING. :Grizzly:

"Thou shall not kill."

But Angel, if only lawbreakers own guns, who's to stop them killing all the innocents?

As long as evil men live, we must be prepared to protect the innocent and weak from them - that takes firepower... unless you have learned and perfected the "gun katas" that are featured in the movie Equilibrium (not realistic, but an interesting idea along with some great action sequences :thumb:) :idea:

edit: :doh: the gun katas need guns, so...

nicholsmom

Limits on ownership of arms ought only to be the sort that would aid national security. So no nukes 'cause we might sell one to a terrorist. And very violent criminals ought not to be allowed to legally own or handle a firearm of any sort - or use steak knives, or air...

Angel7

My husband was accidentally shot, and I was nearly a young widow, because of some idiot, who bought a gun on the streets, and knew nothing about gun safety. Limiting the amount of guns one can own solves nothing, as it only takes one, to injure or kill. People should be required to take a more thorough background check and an exam for a license to own a gun, just as a license to drive. If I were confronted face-to-face with an intruder in my home, I still could not pull a trigger...but that's just me! I don't have answers, but I know better gun control is needed.

nicholsmom

My husband was accidentally shot, and I was nearly a young widow, because of some idiot, who bought a gun on the streets, and knew nothing about gun safety. Limiting the amount of guns one can own solves nothing, as it only takes one, to injure or kill. People should be required to take a more thorough background check and an exam for a license to own a gun, just as a license to drive. If I were confronted face-to-face with an intruder in my home, I still could not pull a trigger...but that's just me! I don't have answers, but I know better gun control is needed.

Maybe teenagers should be taught gun safety and how to shoot various firearms in school, then :idunno:

Do you have children? If a strange man broke into your home and was headed for your child's room, would you be able to shoot him? Me? I would only hesitate long enough to think about what's behind the man that might get injured, make sure that the only one who'd get shot was that man, and "bang" he'd get one through the chest. I can be vicious when it comes to protecting my family :Grizzly: Don't mess with Mama Bear!

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My husband was accidentally shot, and I was nearly a young widow, because of some idiot, who bought a gun on the streets, and knew nothing about gun safety.

I'm sorry to hear that your husband was shot, but, as you said, it was by an idiot who bought the gun on the streets...illegally. To limit or eliminate gun ownership by responsible adults would not and does not prevent the situation you described.

Limiting the amount of guns one can own solves nothing, as it only takes one, to injure or kill. People should be required to take a more thorough background check and an exam for a license to own a gun, just as a license to drive.

How much more thorough can you get than a local law enforcement background check as well as an FBI background check, which is what many jurisdictions require in order to purchase a handgun, and certainly require in order to conceal it legally.

If I were confronted face-to-face with an intruder in my home, I still could not pull a trigger...but that's just me!

This is a valid statement. A person who is not comfortable with a weapon should not have one for protection. It could be used against you rather than working for you.

I don't have answers, but I know better gun control is needed.

Those who suffer from stiffer gun control are the honest, law-abiding citizens. The criminals who use guns to perform violent acts would do so regardless of better gun control.

Status
Not open for further replies.