ECT Do you see All, Some, None of the Spiritual Gifts in Operation Today?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What will the unbelievers here say and do when the two witnesses begin their ministry?

They will say they are of the devil and will be the first to try and kill them.

LA

The Berean

Just had a question. Is it the view of some that the sign gifts were manifested only by the Apostles or did other early Christians manifest these sign gifts as well? By "early Christians" I am specifically referring to the people who joined the early churches founded directly by the Apostles.

oatmeal

The LORD God told Judas to raise the dead, heal the sick, and to preach "the gospel," fool.

Show me.

and your name calling is not getting you any points with God.

You remain ignorant of spiritual matters.

That is not God's will.

I Corinthians 12:1

did Judas do it?

What were they told to do?

and what did they do?

Who told Jesus to tell them to go and do?

John 5:19-20,30;12:49-50 God, his Father did.

John 12:49-50
For I have not spoken on My own authority; but the Father who sent Me gave Me a command, what I should say and what I should speak.
And I know that His command is everlasting life. Therefore, whatever I speak, just as the Father has told Me, so I speak.”

Mark 6:7-13

And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;

8 And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse:

9 But be shod with sandals; and not put on two coats.

10 And he said unto them, In what place soever ye enter into an house, there abide till ye depart from that place.

11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

13 And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

they, the twelve, including Judas, cast out many devils, healed sick people.

Since Judas did that what is my excuse? there is none.

What is your excuse? there is none.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Just had a question. Is it the view of some that the sign gifts were manifested only by the Apostles or did other early Christians manifest these sign gifts as well? By "early Christians" I am specifically referring to the people who joined the early churches founded directly by the Apostles.

The gifts here refer to members in the body of Christ regardless of they being an apostle or not--

1Co 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant:
1Co 12:2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led.
1Co 12:3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
1Co 12:4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
1Co 12:8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
1Co 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,
1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles,
to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
1Co 12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.
1Co 12:12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.
1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.
1Co 12:14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.

LA

The Berean

The gifts here refer to members in the body of Christ regardless of they being an apostle or not--

1Co 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant:
1Co 12:2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led.
1Co 12:3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.
1Co 12:4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1Co 12:5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord.
1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all.
1Co 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
1Co 12:8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit,
1Co 12:9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit,
1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.
1Co 12:11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.
1Co 12:12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.
1Co 12:13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.
1Co 12:14 For in fact the body is not one member but many.

LA

LA, you stole my thunder. :D I was going to post these very same Scriptures. So it is clear that Paul was saying that other early Christians besides the Apostles would speak in tongues, heal the sick, cast out demons, etc...

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
LA, you stole my thunder. :D I was going to post these very same Scriptures. So it is clear that Paul was saying that other early Christians besides the Apostles would speak in tongues, heal the sick, cast out demons, etc...

Yes, the scripture says "

Mar 16:17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

Asking a question to teach something, is a good idea.

Well done.
LA

oatmeal

Good question.

The record of the certain disciple, Ananias, who the lord sent to minister to Saul of Tarsus shows that disciples had access to the same power as the apostles did. Acts 9:1-18

The apostle Paul made it clear that the nine manifestations were given to every man to profit withal. I Corinthians 12:7.

However, having the ability and right to use them was up to each individual, that is, each had to choose how much they were going to believe.

Some might believe to speak in tongues only. Others might take that one step further and learn what interpretation of tongues was all about, others might want to do all nine. I Corinthians 12:8-10

Daniel1611

Everyone has spiritual gifts if they have faith. We see people with the gifts of prophecy. I believe we can lay hands on the sick and they will be healed. I believe in the spiritual gifts because the Bible says all believers will have a spiritual gift.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
And no believer today, anywhere, manifests any of the signs and wonders as they are described by Luke and Paul.

This is simply not true. Spiritual gifts, miracles, signs and wonders do happen today. There is no exegetical basis for secessionism.

musterion

This is simply not true. Spiritual gifts, miracles, signs and wonders do happen today. There is no exegetical basis for secessionism.

First, yes there is exegetical basis for cessationism. Secessionism is a whole other something.

Second, if the gifts were in operation today as we see them used by God during the Acts period, they would not be what is apparently the Best Kept Secret In All of Christendom.

However, as others and myself have already said ad nauseum: post independently verifiable proof of a sign and wonder and we'll repent.

musterion

When your opinions trump the word of God, then, but for now and forever, God's word trumps you.

Mark 16:17-18

Your dog gentile salvation, and mine, apart from a repentant national Israel was neither possible nor contemplated in Mark 16.

Context. Learn it, live it, obey it.

Try again, eisegete.

oatmeal

First, yes there is exegetical basis for cessationism. Secessionism is a whole other something.

Second, if the gifts were in operation today as we see them used by God during the Acts period, they would not be what is apparently the Best Kept Secret In All of Christendom.

However, as others and myself have already said ad nauseum: post independently verifiable proof of a sign and wonder and we'll repent.

Who says that they are not known.

They are known by the one doing the works and the ones receiving the blessings.

Do you really think the world cares about God and the things of God?

Scripture is the only verifiable proof of a sign and wonder that you will ever see until you decide to believe scripture.

All things (all scripture promises) are possible to them that believe. Mark 9:23

oatmeal

Romans 6:23 is still true

Ephesians 2:8-10 is still true.

I Corinthians 12-14 is still true

I John 3:2 we have not yet seen Jesus Christ face to face at our gathering unto him. I Thessalonians 4:13-18

musterion

Do you really think the world cares about God and the things of God?

See, this is why you are so disappointing. You're clearly an intelligent man but your posts like this one are literally stupid to the point of petulant childishness.

Do I think the unbelieving world cares about signs and wonders from God? Do you REALLY need to ask that question? Paul said that tongues were meant SPECIFICALLY as a sign for unbelievers (1 Cor 14:22); by extension, that was also the primary purpose of the rest of the spectacular signs and wonders: to draw attention to the Gospel and prove its validity.

You are not merely ignorant; you are dangerously ignorant. I hope the extent of your "teaching" goes no farther than TOL.