No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbrumley

I'm trying not to be personal about this.

I know.

You framed your question in terms of violence, as if someone has to die or be hurt to justify government involvement.

I did and continue to. I believe in the non aggression principle. I don't make exceptions to the golden rule and provide no moral loophole, no double standard, for government.

Is it not reasonable for the state to protect society from the horrors of families torn apart by adultery and lives destroyed by homos? (There's actually a powerful case for the physical harm brought on us by the fags.)

The state should protect our rights, but it cannot develop our character.

WizardofOz

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I know.

I did and continue to. I believe in the non aggression principle. I don't make exceptions to the golden rule and provide no moral loophole, no double standard, for government.

Who does a woman's body belong to when she marries?

Who does a man's body belong to when he marries?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I have not been following this thread.

you're a wise man :thumb:

I will point out that:
1. The "613 commandments" were first mentioned in the time of the Talmud. There has been some dispute over how one counts them- what exactly does one consider to be an individual independent law? The 613 has apparently been given more importance in this discussion than it deserves.

i brought them into the discussion, with the expectation that they'd be a known quantity - instead, for some bizarre reason, they are controversial

2. The Pharisees knew their law. You should take that as a given.

:thumb:

3. "Original Sin" is a Christian concept.

Chair

that's what I thought

thanks! :wave2:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
If adultery was a capital crime, hardly anyone would get married, ever. Marriage rates would plummet to nearly zero.

this one doesn't pass the sniff test for me - when my wife and i married, we married for love, we married forever, we married because we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, we wanted to raise a family, build a home together, grow old together - it never occurred to us to plan for the opportunity to ruin that by cheating

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I know.

Well, I think homos and adulterers do more harm to society than murderers and the state would be justified in enforcing laws against all of them.

As we know, it is too busy protecting bugs and fining drivers to even know this debate exists.

drbrumley

Well, I think homos and adulterers do more harm to society than murderers and the state would be justified in enforcing laws against all of them.

Are all sins crimes?

What exactly is a crime to you? The nuts and bolts of it please. Any behavior you disagree with perhaps?

question is open to anyone, so please, by all means..

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Are all sins crimes?

What exactly is a crime to you? The nuts and bolts of it please. Any behavior you disagree with perhaps?

Laws are to protect the weak from Satanists, not to protect the strong and powerful from Christians. But mainly laws protect the weak, and that's every minority, and so since it's minorities, the laws are to protect rights. Crimes are the infringement of rights, just like how many of the Ten Commandments protect rights, like the right to life (Ex20:13KJV), the right to property (Ex20:15KJV and Ex20:17KJV), the right to not be falsely testified against (Ex20:16KJV).

Arthur Brain

The folk?

I wouldn't expect "the folk" to

I would expect the pharisees and the scribes to

Do you know what the pharisees and the scribes were? What their job was?

then we don't need to drag it into this conversation

in what way am i being "entirely legalistic"?

right, because the pharisees and the scribes lived and breathed these laws - the Law was their life

i don't know what that means

have you forgotten already? :sigh:

yes, learning strategies

have you never been exposed to the concept of learning strategies?

not important enough to memorize - i'm not studying to be a pharisee or a scribe

And do you remember why? In what context?

that's what i find exhilarating about studying stuff like A&P - the deeper you dig, the more you realize there's no bottom :)

if they were a scribe or a pharisee?

because it was their job, their life, their identity

this isn't about phil robertson or girls as elderly as fifteen

this is New York State policy/law that applies to any post pubescent girl of any age

Right, so, the mob tried to trap Jesus by the law while being experts on it and were thoroughly undermined with abject ease and taught a lesson beyond that. Some experts...

"Girls as elderly as fifteen"?! If you have states that advocate stuff whereby girls can be abused then that is appalling. Sometimes America is baffling in its different laws from state to state. Over here a girl is a girl until they're 18, end of.

Arthur Brain

this one doesn't pass the sniff test for me - when my wife and i married, we married for love, we married forever, we married because we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together, we wanted to raise a family, build a home together, grow old together - it never occurred to us to plan for the opportunity to ruin that by cheating

Was there a law in place whereby one of you could have been executed if they had extra marital relations? No, there wasn't so all of this is moot in relation to Wiz's post.

Arthur Brain

Are all sins crimes?

Fair question. What harm is a "homo" doing exactly simply for not being straight? Did Oscar Wilde cause so much destruction to society by writing plays? They're just people like everyone else with the same concerns in life like paying bills etc. They don't impact on others or are breaking down society and it's just homophobic nonsense. Where it comes to adultery then it's not black and white by a long shot. Sometimes the "victim" plays their own part in their partner straying so it's not always a case of someone cheating for some illicit "fun" behind their partners back. It can certainly be devastating but there's shades of grey on the matter.

To argue that either are more destructive to society than the premeditated taking of another persons life is just beyond ridiculous.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Right, so, the mob tried to trap Jesus by the law while being experts on it and were thoroughly undermined with abject ease and taught a lesson beyond that. Some experts...

"Girls as elderly as fifteen"?! If you have states that advocate stuff whereby girls can be abused then that is appalling. Sometimes America is baffling in its different laws from state to state. Over here a girl is a girl until they're 18, end of.
Age of consent in the U.S.

18: Vermont, New York, Delaware, West Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida, Utah, Oregon, and California.
17: New Jersey, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming, and Idaho.
16: Every other state.

Status
Not open for further replies.