No Death Penalty. What Is Your Position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When is the last time someone was executed for adultery in the United States?

Why do you feel that the "overall marriage rate would drop for a bit"?
This is argumentum ad consequentiam, a logical fallacy and a rabbit trail.

drbrumley

This description begs the question. It is your assertion that adultery is not a crime on par with murder and faggery.

It is the government's job to protect society from harm. Destruction of the family, which adultery and homosexuality achieve far more effectively than murder does, is a faster way to send society down the toilet than epidemic murder rates.

Also: Because you say so?

So, how does adultery threaten or commit violence against another man’s person or property? We know murder commits violence against another man’s person or property. I will wait.

Bradley D

Have you ever put your children (or grandchildren) in timeout?

I have had them stand in a corner or stay in our house/yard for a time period for misbehavior. My Mom would have me stay at home on occasion and I could only stay on the porch when I went outside.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, how does adultery threaten or commit violence against another man’s person or property? We know murder commits violence against another man’s person or property. I will wait.
Seriously?

Are you framing it in terms of violence so you don't have to face up to the terrible effects it has?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I have had them stand in a corner or stay in our house/yard for a time period for misbehavior. My Mom would have me stay at home on occasion and I could only stay on the porch when I went outside.

And what was their attitude while they did so?

Did they show humility, were they sorry for disobeying you?

Or were they resentful, hating you for their being punished?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll go out on a limb and say that murder destroys families far more effectively than homosexuality or adultery and is the faster way to send society down the toilet.
I'd argue, but it's not really relevant. Also, this response is a non sequitur.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Fallacy police. :plain:

drbrumley

Seriously?

Are you framing it in terms of violence so you don't have to face up to the terrible effects it has?

Who says I'm not facing it? Do I have to repeat myself once again to show you my disgust in adultery, fornication, drug abuse, prostitution etc...?

drbrumley

I dont approve of adultery, fornication, drug abuse, prostitution etc... But there is a big difference between not approving of something and thinking the government should arrest, fine, and imprison people for doing what you don’t approve of.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Who says I'm not facing it? Do I have to repeat myself once again to show you my disgust in adultery, fornication, drug abuse, prostitution etc...?
I'm trying not to be personal about this. You framed your question in terms of violence, as if someone has to die or be hurt to justify government involvement.

Is it not reasonable for the state to protect society from the horrors of families torn apart by adultery and lives destroyed by homos? (There's actually a powerful case for the physical harm brought on us by the fags.)

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I dont approve of adultery, fornication, drug abuse, prostitution etc... But there is a big difference between not approving of something and thinking the government should arrest, fine, and imprison people for doing what you don’t approve of.
I know. You've got a rather libertarian view of these things. I appreciate your point of view.

The conversation is not hung up on your opinion not being respected.

WizardofOz

I'd argue, but it's not really relevant. Also, this response is a non sequitur.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Fallacy police. :plain:

It's actually not a non-sequitur. And, I literally rephrased your exact statement.

Stripe said:
Destruction of the family, which adultery and homosexuality achieve far more effectively than murder does, is a faster way to send society down the toilet than epidemic murder rates.
I'll go out on a limb and say that murder destroys families far more effectively than homosexuality or adultery and is the faster way to send society down the toilet.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It's actually not a non-sequitur.
Your response has nothing to do with the question. It absolutely did not follow.

I literally rephrased your exact statement.

There was a question: Are you willing to argue that adultery does not undermine the family and society?

That's either or, or yes or no. No need to rephrase anything.

WizardofOz

Your response has nothing to do with the question. It absolutely did not follow.

There was a question: Are you willing to argue that adultery does not undermine the family and society?

That's either or, or yes or no. No need to rephrase anything.

:doh:

You made a statement: "Destruction of the family, which adultery and homosexuality achieve far more effectively than murder does, is a faster way to send society down the toilet than epidemic murder rates."

I disagreed. I stated that I feel that epidemic murder rates more effectively destroy the family unit and sends society down the toilet faster than adultery or homosexuality.

Pretty simple.

Trying to control the debate by labeling every counter point a fallacy makes you look foolish.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

You made a statement: "Destruction of the family, which adultery and homosexuality achieve far more effectively than murder does, is a faster way to send society down the toilet than epidemic murder rates."

I disagreed. I stated that I feel that epidemic murder rates more effectively destroy the family unit and sends society down the toilet faster than adultery or homosexuality.

Pretty simple.

Trying to control the debate by labeling every counter point a fallacy makes you look foolish.
You quoted a question, not that statement.

Pretty simple.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Pretty simple.

That wasn't the post you replied to.

Are you willing to argue that adultery does not undermine the family and society, or are you just being obstinate?

Status
Not open for further replies.