Death wish remake

ClimateSanity

Mostly (these days) Bruce Willis just enrages people who pay to see his movies. :plain:

Seriously, if I saw a movie advertised that had Robert De Niro, Nicholas Cage, and Bruce Willis in it at a local theater I'd have to consider moving before the property values took a dive.
So you are not enraged by the ideas and themes of the movie?

musterion

I grew up in Illinois so I'd go see the movie, or at least Redbox it, just to see the scene where he goes to the gun shop. It surely isn't in Cook County.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Mostly (these days) Bruce Willis just enrages people who pay to see his movies. :plain:

Seriously, if I saw a movie advertised that had Robert De Niro, Nicholas Cage, and Bruce Willis in it at a local theater I'd have to consider moving before the property values took a dive.

I will agree on the Nicholas Cage ... but how dare you insult De Niro! I actually enjoy Bruce Willis as well ... my only issue with the movie is that, IMO, Charles Bronson is a hard act to follow.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
So you are not enraged by the ideas and themes of the movie?
No, I'm mostly enraged by the quality of the acting I keep running into at the movies. And by the lack of imagination in Hollywood for the past 20 years.

I'm a gun owner. I was once an actual hunter, not the guy who stands in one place waiting for something to happen, or has other people drive an animal toward him, who would track and field dress. So I value guns and the right to possess them, though I think everyone should have to take a safety course in their use and register the weapons.

Death Wish glorifies vigilantism, which is a very bad idea, if it follows the original premise. I'm for law and order so I'm against that, but outraged by a movie? :chuckle:

musterion

Cook County has very near the most restrictive gun ownership laws in the U.S., if not the most restrictive. It is an onerous process, thanks to Cook Co. and Springfield, to become a legal gun owner even if you reside in the deeply wooded far south of the state, where I'm from. If those laws fail to lower gun crime as Democrats have long promised (Chicago's gun homicide rate always goes up, never down), then a movie like this one has a ready made audience because people know the laws do not work as advertised. Not just in Chicago but in all major urban areas, all of which are run by the Left.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I will agree on the Nicholas Cage ... but how dare you insult De Niro! I actually enjoy Bruce Willis as well ... my only issue with the movie is that, IMO, Charles Bronson is a hard act to follow.
Two words that put Robert on the latter day Bob Hope egg timer: Bad Grandpa.

Bruce has been in a lot of bad B-level movies of late for quick cash grabs. If he respected his art he'd never have given the green light for that horrible nail in the Die Hard series coffin.

Not sure what this one is going to look like. I liked Bronson as an actor. The whole Death Wish fantasy is so far removed from reality for most people I think you have to consider it the way you do a musical. Sure, groups of people will occasionally behave that way, but mosty not. So watch it for what it is and forget what it pretends to be.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Death Wish glorifies vigilantism, which is a very bad idea, if it follows the original premise. I'm for law and order so I'm against that, but outraged by a movie? :chuckle:

It does ... though it also hits on the fact that sometimes vigilantism is a reaction to the courts allowing criminals to go free. Older movie and hero but great example: Billy Jack. I don't believe a different actor and remake could stand up to the original.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Chicago's gun homicide rate always goes up, never down)

Hmmm.... (Barbarian checks)

Even if you cherry pick and take the last year, which was higher than normal, it's still about 5% down from the peak year in 1994. Chicago banned gun sales outright, which lasted until it was (correctly) overturned as unconstitutional in 2010.

Shooting victims are down about 11% for the first half of 2017, but it's still possible for 2017 to have more murders than 2016. Not as much gun violence, though.

musterion

I will clarify.

Chicago has had the highest sustained homicide rate over the past 25 years of any major urban center, and that rate spiked in the last few years.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-03-at-5.48.03-PM.png

Chicago's rate of GUN homicide is the highest and has spiked in the last few years.

Screen-Shot-2017-01-03-at-5.48.32-PM-720x0-c-default.png

The prevalence of fatal shootings in Chicago as compared to New York and other major cities is one of the starkest findings of a new report due to be released later this month by the University of Chicago Crime Lab, an academic research center that aims to help cities find ways to control violence.

The report follows the deadliest year in Chicago since the early 1990s. The city recorded 762 homicides in 2016, according to the report, which was shared with The Trace in draft form — about 58 percent more than in the previous year. But homicides were not the only category of crime to rise: other gun offenses, including nonfatal shootings and robberies, soared.

“This suggests that what happened in Chicago in 2016 was less about an overall increase in the prevalence of antisocial or criminal behavior, but more about a focused increase in gun violence,” the report says.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/chicago-murder-rate-fatal-shootings/

The point, as you all well know, is that this horror is despite Democrat's restrictive gun laws, which really only affect legal gun owners who only want to defend themselves when the police cannot.

Last edited:

musterion

American fiction is based on American fact. It began when men started glamorising gunfighters and writing about their exploits. They became folk heroes and found approval in the people who read the books.

How's knife crime and acid to the face attacks going over your way?

Arthur Brain

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Musty writes:
Chicago has had the highest sustained homicide rate over the past 25 years of any major urban center, and that rate spiked in the last few years.

Notice that the rate goes up and down over the years (contrary to your claim) and that even if you cherry-pick the highest recent year, it's lower than it was 20 years ago.

In fact, Chicago doesn't even make the top 20 metropolitan areas in terms of homicides in the United States.

Would you like me to show you that?

Arthur Brain

Oh wow, having watched the trailer and seeing that the director is Eli Roth then it's a fair bet that this film is gonna be as subtle as a brick and about as intelligent...