Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guardians of the Galaxy

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Guardians of the Galaxy

    I just got back from the theater, and it was awesome! Probably the best Marvel movie to date. I need to see it again; in 3D. Seriously, this is a movie that needs to be seen in 3D. It needs to be seen.
    sigpic


  • #2
    Will provide my in-depth thoughts later, such as they are, but I am in nearly complete agreement with the OP (unsure whether it's Marvel's best; time and repeat viewings will tell). This movie needs to be seen from its gut-punch-to-the-feels beginning to the post-credits-surprise-cameo end. One heck of a ride.
    "To deny Calvinism is to deny the gospel of Jesus Christ." - Charles Spurgeon

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Brother Vinny View Post
      Will provide my in-depth thoughts later, such as they are, but I am in nearly complete agreement with the OP (unsure whether it's Marvel's best; time and repeat viewings will tell). This movie needs to be seen from its gut-punch-to-the-feels beginning to the post-credits-surprise-cameo end. One heck of a ride.
      Indubitably.
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Rocket, Groot and Drax steal the show..

        Comment


        • #5
          Quite a good flick, and pretty darn faithful to the comic.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
            I just got back from the theater, and it was awesome! Probably the best Marvel movie to date. I need to see it again; in 3D. Seriously, this is a movie that needs to be seen in 3D. It needs to be seen.
            The good guys must have triumphed over evil then...ehh?
            _/\_

            Christians: "I - a stranger and afraid - in a world I never made.." -- Houseman

            Comment


            • #7
              I wish they'd have had Bug in it. Maybe he'll be in the sequel.

              Comment


              • #8
                Spoiler

                Howard the Duck is in the post credits scene, voiced by Seth Green.
                "To deny Calvinism is to deny the gospel of Jesus Christ." - Charles Spurgeon

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's been four days since I've seen it now, and I still don't know how to address this film. The movie should not have worked. I was a fan of the comic book in its Abnett iteration when the movie was announced, and while the news excited me, I could also see how this could have gone horribly wrong. Howard the Duck was a cautionary tale on making talking animals central to the story, and movies like Green Lantern and Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer showed not only that Hollywood couldn't get cosmic-scope comics stories right, but that no one but dyed-in-the-wool fanboys would go see them.

                  I'm so glad I was wrong. James Gunn done the impossible with Guardians of the Galaxy, and this makes him mighty.

                  The opening was a masterful stroke, as gut-wrenching as the first 12 minutes of Up.

                  Dominic Cooper's Rocket was a hoot, and Vin Diesel squeezed as much out of three words
                  Spoiler
                  (okay, four, and may I say the line in which the fourth word appeared had me nearly as choked up as the film's intro?)
                  as was humanly possible. Dave Bautista's Drax was a pleasant surprise. Zoe Saldana made for a note-perfect Gamora. But Chris Pratt's performance makes this movie; if he weren't who he is in this (part Indiana Jones, part Captain Kirk, with a smidgen of humble likability thrown in), and if he weren't able to pull it off believably, it may have signaled the death knell for this movie. He is what pulls and holds the team together, and I cannot wait to see whatever adventures he gets his team into next.

                  I cannot say what my favorite part of the movie is. My wife's is. . .

                  Spoiler
                  . . . when Rocket is, late in the movie, trying to get Star Lord to acquire the cybernetic eye of one of Quill's old shipmates. Peter had been fooled earlier in the film with a similar request involving a prosthetic leg, and Peter's wise to Rocket now, saying, "You don't need his eye!" And Rocket is fighting laughter while he insists that he needs the eye.

                  Yeah, this movie rocks.
                  "To deny Calvinism is to deny the gospel of Jesus Christ." - Charles Spurgeon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by HisServant View Post
                    Rocket, Groot and Drax steal the show..
                    Quite.

                    Originally posted by Brother Vinny View Post
                    Spoiler

                    Howard the Duck is in the post credits scene, voiced by Seth Green.
                    Spoiler
                    You can see him in the distance before the explosion, sitting in his glass cage.


                    Originally posted by Brother Vinny View Post
                    It's been four days since I've seen it now, and I still don't know how to address this film. The movie should not have worked. I was a fan of the comic book in its Abnett iteration when the movie was announced, and while the news excited me, I could also see how this could have gone horribly wrong. Howard the Duck was a cautionary tale on making talking animals central to the story, and movies like Green Lantern and Fantastic Four Rise of the Silver Surfer showed not only that Hollywood couldn't get cosmic-scope comics stories right, but that no one but dyed-in-the-wool fanboys would go see them.

                    I'm so glad I was wrong. James Gunn done the impossible with Guardians of the Galaxy, and this makes him mighty.

                    The opening was a masterful stroke, as gut-wrenching as the first 12 minutes of Up.

                    Dominic Cooper's Rocket was a hoot, and Vin Diesel squeezed as much out of three words
                    Spoiler
                    (okay, four, and may I say the line in which the fourth word appeared had me nearly as choked up as the film's intro?)
                    as was humanly possible. Dave Bautista's Drax was a pleasant surprise. Zoe Saldana made for a note-perfect Gamora. But Chris Pratt's performance makes this movie; if he weren't who he is in this (part Indiana Jones, part Captain Kirk, with a smidgen of humble likability thrown in), and if he weren't able to pull it off believably, it may have signaled the death knell for this movie. He is what pulls and holds the team together, and I cannot wait to see whatever adventures he gets his team into next.

                    I cannot say what my favorite part of the movie is. My wife's is. . .

                    Spoiler
                    . . . when Rocket is, late in the movie, trying to get Star Lord to acquire the cybernetic eye of one of Quill's old shipmates. Peter had been fooled earlier in the film with a similar request involving a prosthetic leg, and Peter's wise to Rocket now, saying, "You don't need his eye!" And Rocket is fighting laughter while he insists that he needs the eye.

                    Yeah, this movie rocks.
                    Spoiler
                    Groot says five words: "I", "am", "Groot", "we", and "are."


                    Your wife's favorite part is one of mine.

                    Why can you not say yours? Did it have to do with the part at which most people demand a toy of a certain thing?

                    Also, Bradley Cooper voiced Rocket. Dominic Cooper played Howard Stark in Captain America: The First Avenger, as well as the Agent Carter one-shot.

                    In summation; I agree so much with what you just said.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                      Quite.


                      Spoiler
                      You can see him in the distance before the explosion, sitting in his glass cage.



                      Spoiler
                      Groot says five words: "I", "am", "Groot", "we", and "are."


                      Your wife's favorite part is one of mine.

                      Why can you not say yours? Did it have to do with the part at which most people demand a toy of a certain thing?

                      Also, Bradley Cooper voiced Rocket. Dominic Cooper played Howard Stark in Captain America: The First Avenger, as well as the Agent Carter one-shot.

                      In summation; I agree so much with what you just said.
                      D'oh! Got Coopers mixed up.

                      I can't say what my favorite parts are because there are so many. Quill's "12% of a plan" (and Groot's defense of him, evidenced by Rocket's response) ranks pretty high.
                      "To deny Calvinism is to deny the gospel of Jesus Christ." - Charles Spurgeon

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Brother Vinny View Post
                        D'oh! Got Coopers mixed up.

                        I can't say what my favorite parts are because there are so many. Quill's "12% of a plan" (and Groot's defense of him, evidenced by Rocket's response) ranks pretty high.
                        Definitely. A lot of great moments from which to choose. This movie was so fun!
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Getting a kick out of the soundtrack album. Bought it Saturday to listen to in the car. Most of the songs were hits just before I became conscious of music beyond what my parents listened to. "I Fooled Around and Fell In Love" I have the sketchiest of memories of, same with "O-o-h Child."
                          "To deny Calvinism is to deny the gospel of Jesus Christ." - Charles Spurgeon

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Brother Vinny View Post
                            Getting a kick out of the soundtrack album. Bought it Saturday to listen to in the car. Most of the songs were hits just before I became conscious of music beyond what my parents listened to. "I Fooled Around and Fell In Love" I have the sketchiest of memories of, same with "O-o-h Child."
                            Dance off!
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As much fun as I've had watching a summer adventure in years. The best thing Marvel has done to date, bar none. Bravo.
                              You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

                              Pro-Life






                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X