Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Barbarian
    replied
    Going to Home Depot for two lag bolts, and spring caught me by surprise today...

Leave a comment:

• The Barbarian
    replied
    The great blue heron that comes to the pond across the street every morning for the past few weeks, seems no longer bothered when I walk by. Years ago, a pair of owls living there accepted my presence without fear.

I miss them.

Leave a comment:

• The Barbarian
    replied
    Originally posted by PureX View Post
    Going into the workshop in the morning, with a project half finished and waiting for me on the table. The smell of the wood dust and the pleasure of thinking through the next steps of the process. The glow of the propane heater as it takes the edge off the coolness of the morning air.

A mind with hands and a purpose, would be a terrible thing to waste.
    Making beautiful and useful things is a pleasure you cannot experience any other way.

Leave a comment:

• Town Heretic
    replied
    I'll try to stop by now and again to put up something that might inspire. I'm moderating elsewhere, so it will be as time allows, which is stretched a bit thin these days, between that and teaching.

In the meantime, today's thought, again:

Fill your mind with cynicism and you leave no room for faith.

Fill your heart with anger and you leave no room for hope.

Fill your soul with with judgement and you leave no room for love.

Fill your day with each of these and you leave no room for God.

Leave a comment:

• glorydaz
    replied
    Some people don't like advice, either. I have lots of good advice, but I've been told to just listen to what they say and not give them my advice. That brought on a momentary silence, believe me.

Not long, but momentary.

Leave a comment:

• Stripe
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
    I wonder too. What would you like to discuss, Stripe?
    I was waiting for a sensible response to your post.

Leave a comment:

• glorydaz
    replied
    Originally posted by Stripe View Post

I wonder why we can't get a simple discussion going?

Beats all that whining.
    To many who are ready to take offense, Stripe. Too many touchy snowflakes.

I've found that among my own friends. Touchy touchy....no teasing or joking allowed.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Shugart
    replied
    I wonder too. What would you like to discuss, Stripe?

Leave a comment:

• Stripe
    replied
    Originally posted by glorydaz View Post
    I love cruising the Woodshed. Lots of cool stuff in there.

Beats all that whining.

Leave a comment:

• glorydaz
    replied
    Found 'em:

There's not much use in saying [you don't agree with Jerry]; you don't have a systematic basis from which to discuss the issue. You use emotive language to talk about a man's eternity, which means you can simply refuse to acknowledge the internal consistency of an objection raised against your ideas.

For example, you speak of a man "losing his faith," which can look like it means they have given up their salvation, but then when called on it, you start talking about simple faithlessness — which is an entirely different thing.

You're not engaging in any fashion [with AMR] designed to reach a conclusion. You need a systematic theology and to stick to it if you want to be convincing. Facts don't care about your feelings.

H/T to the dude who pointed out that the reports in the Woodshed held the text.
    I love cruising the Woodshed. Lots of cool stuff in there.

Leave a comment:

• Stripe
    replied

There's not much use in saying [you don't agree with Jerry]; you don't have a systematic basis from which to discuss the issue. You use emotive language to talk about a man's eternity, which means you can simply refuse to acknowledge the internal consistency of an objection raised against your ideas.

For example, you speak of a man "losing his faith," which can look like it means they have given up their salvation, but then when called on it, you start talking about simple faithlessness — which is an entirely different thing.

You're not engaging in any fashion [with AMR] designed to reach a conclusion. You need a systematic theology and to stick to it if you want to be convincing. Facts don't care about your feelings.

Leave a comment:

• The Barbarian
    replied

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?" - Robert Browning

Leave a comment:

• Town Heretic
    replied
    Fill your mind with cynicism and you leave no room for faith.

Fill your heart with anger and you leave no room for hope.

Fill your soul with with judgement and you leave no room for love.

Fill your day with each of these and you leave no room for God.

Leave a comment:

• Town Heretic
    replied
    One of my students asked me if people were vertebrates or invertebrates. I answered with vertebrates, but admitted that recently there had been reason to question whether or not that rule extended to the Commissioner of the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• Stripe
    replied
    Found 'em:

H/T to the dude who pointed out that the reports in the Woodshed held the text.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X