No announcement yet.

A Momentary Life...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can smell Fall in the air. Always transports me back to childhood.
    "There is one thing worse than going to Hell. That would be going to Hell and having it be a surprise."
    Terence Mc Lean

[most will be very surprised]

Everyone who has not believed the Gospel of grace is not saved, no matter what else they believe or do.
    By that measure, how many professing Christians are on their way to the Lake of Fire?

Comment

• I suppose I should preface this by saying I stand for the anthem. Always have...I don't care for the methodology of those who use that moment as an opportunity to shift attention off of it and onto themselves, even in the service of another point, though I understand why they do it. I didn't like it when some on the right turned that flag upside down. I don't like it now.

That established, I'd also say that in America the flag and the anthem belong to its people, not just to any one group of them, and that the flag is a symbol of principles. Most of the people who are kneeling to protest an institutionalized failure to see some of those principles evenly applied aren't any more inherently disrespectful in that protest than Civil Rights protesters were in Selma for violating law. And there were people who couldn't wait to turn hoses on that group and call them communist sympathizers and unAmerican in that day.

Now before anyone points out that the protesters here are insulated millionaires, I'd remind everyone so inclined to understand that most of those millionaires grew up in very different circumstances, many of them poorer than any of the people ready to dismiss their actions over that newfound wealth. If that same group were venture capitalists we'd see their wealth as a foundation to admire and promote (the why of that is another point to mull).

Imagine for a moment that today is the day Colin Kaepernick is taking the field and none of the controversy we're intimately familiar with has yet occurred. Now imagine that as the anthem plays you see him take that knee for the first time. And before you respond, you see him begin to pray. To pray for that segment of society whose plight concerns him even if he isn't personally denied a single blessed thing because of his status. He kneels and he prays.

How do you approach him now?
      You aren't what you eat, but you're always what you swallow.

Pro-Life

Comment

• Looks like a hurricane is headed right for us. A weak one though. We've ridden out worse and at least we finally lost our last standing oak near the house (it was dying) so there's no immediate worry about losing part of Jack's legacy to timber.

Pro-Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Town Heretic View Post
          I suppose I should preface this by saying I stand for the anthem. Always have...I don't care for the methodology of those who use that moment as an opportunity to shift attention off of it and onto themselves, even in the service of another point, though I understand why they do it. I didn't like it when some on the right turned that flag upside down. I don't like it now.

That established, I'd also say that in America the flag and the anthem belong to its people, not just to any one group of them, and that the flag is a symbol of principles. Most of the people who are kneeling to protest an institutionalized failure to see some of those principles evenly applied aren't any more inherently disrespectful in that protest than Civil Rights protesters were in Selma for violating law. And there were people who couldn't wait to turn hoses on that group and call them communist sympathizers and unAmerican in that day.

Now before anyone points out that the protesters here are insulated millionaires, I'd remind everyone so inclined to understand that most of those millionaires grew up in very different circumstances, many of them poorer than any of the people ready to dismiss their actions over that newfound wealth. If that same group were venture capitalists we'd see their wealth as a foundation to admire and promote (the why of that is another point to mull).

Imagine for a moment that today is the day Colin Kaepernick is taking the field and none of the controversy we're intimately familiar with has yet occurred. Now imagine that as the anthem plays you see him take that knee for the first time. And before you respond, you see him begin to pray. To pray for that segment of society whose plight concerns him even if he isn't personally denied a single blessed thing because of his status. He kneels and he prays.

How do you approach him now?
          He doesn't pray, it was banned in his schools

Comment

• Originally posted by patrick jane View Post
            He doesn't pray, it was banned in his schools
            Still not true on either count, curiously enough.

Pro-Life

Comment

• My kids prayed in school. The school even let them use a room in which to do it with their club (FOCA)
              This message is hidden because ...

Comment

• Fitting the last stone
                My work is now done at last
                Pleasure and regret
                This message is hidden because ...

Comment

• a day of harvest
                  together our work prospered
                  it became cider

Comment

• Originally posted by musterion View Post
                    I can smell Fall in the air. Always transports me back to childhood.
                    In Wisconsin you can smell the derriere. Always transports me back to the locker room.

Comment

In Wisconsin you can smell the derriere. Always transports me back to the locker room.
                      Don't troll the thread.

Pro-Life

Comment

• Fall is coming this next week, it is the best time for golf. My father loved fall day golfing, but he never was old enough to like the walking more than the playing.
                        So, what?

believe it!

Comment

Don't troll the thread.
                          One post is trolling now? I told a harmless joke. This is a momentary life.

Comment

One post is trolling now? I told a harmless joke. This is a momentary life.
                            I'd rather keep the gloves up in this thread PJ. It's more the nature of your humor. If you want to be crass create your own thread for that. I'd like this one to have a higher bar.

Must, and no one is going to confuse us as pals, offered something in the spirit of the thread. I could have phrased the objection better, but given your posting in another thread where you and another poster seemed more interested in distracting than contributing, I'd seen that circus and was weary of it.

Pro-Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Ktoyou View Post
                              Fall is coming this next week, it is the best time for golf. My father loved fall day golfing, but he never was old enough to like the walking more than the playing.
                              My favorite part of the game is walking the course when the weather is beautiful. My father has played most of the major courses and even took his bag to Scotland. I'd rather walk and watch...and most of the people who've seen me play would rather I do that too.

Pro-Life

Comment

My favorite part of the game is walking the course when the weather is beautiful. My father has played most of the major courses and even took his bag to Scotland. I'd rather walk and watch...and most of the people who've seen me play would rather I do that too.
                                No one wanted to play today, so I am going for a long walk in the park.
                                So, what?

believe it!

Comment

Working...
                                X