why own a gun?

brother Willi

Originally posted by Lucky

Why would you consider an evildoer, i.e. someone breaking into your house, your "brother"?

Still waiting for a response, bW.

didnt you get the memo?

we are all from Adam and Eve.

when you understand Jesus, you are my Brother in faith

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
Originally posted by Turbo

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. The Exodus verses I referred to say that a man who kills a criminal in self-defense should not be punished. Are you saying that since "we dont live by that now," that the man who kills in self defense should be punished? If so, what should his penalty be?

What about murder, theft, and rape? They were crimes in the OT. Should they still be crimes today? When Paul wrote in Romans 13:1-4 that God wants governments to punish evildoers, what sorts of evildoers was he talking about?

Would you please cite the specific passages you to which you are referring? Thanks, Jabez. :)

Jhn 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give [it] you.

Acts4:12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

James 5:14 Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.

Theres power in the name.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

Colossians 3:17 (1) Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, (2) giving thanks through Him to God the Father.

Hebrews 1:4 So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs.

Self defense,iam all for it.Crimals should be punished according to the laws set forth.

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brother Willi

didnt you get the memo?

Okay. I wouldn't call an evildoer my brother, but if you consider him your brother, be my guest.

I realize this is going off-topic a little, but since you answered me the way you did, I'm dying to know how you'll respond to these questions:

Why are you referring to the OT, which you write off as useless for doctrine? And since you're a WWJD'er/Red Letter-onlyist, why do you go against Christ's definition of a brother?
  • Matthew 12:48-50
    But He answered and said to the one who told Him, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?" And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

:confused:

Jabez

Friend of Jesus

Okay. I wouldn't call an evildoer my brother, but if you consider him your brother, be my guest.

I realize this is going off-topic a little, but since you answered me the way you did, I'm dying to know how you'll respond to these questions:

Why are you referring to the OT, which you write off as useless for doctrine? And since you're a WWJD'er/Red Letter-onlyist, why do you go against Christ's definition of a brother?
    But He answered and said to the one who told Him, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?" And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers! For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother."

Good question!Maybe we should say who is my neigbor?

brother Willi

i answered
i said

do these words disagree with what Jesus said?

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
Proverbs 6:30 Men do not despise a thief if he steals
to satisfy his hunger when he is starving.

Lucky

Hall of Fame

i answered
i said

do these words disagree with what Jesus said?
For the sake of argument, no. But, I wasn't talking about those words. Here are your words, the words I was commenting on:

didnt you get the memo?

And so I repeat:

brother Willi

For the sake of argument, no. But, I wasn't talking about those words. Here are your words, the words I was commenting on:

And so I repeat:

Lucky, you got brothers or sisters?

brother Willi

Originally posted by philosophizer

First off, I thought you payed no heed to the Old Testament. So what does it matter what Cain did?

if the NT says a new Way, then it overwrites the OT

not all the OT is overwritten

Second, how is this anything like imprisonment? This is not imprisonment, it is banishment. Should criminals today be banished?
thats how Australia got many of its folks

Why are you this dead-set against killing, claiming that Jesus never taught self-defense, and yet you accept imprisonment as a punishment? Show me where Jesus said "lock up all the murderers instead of killing them."
to stop a fist with your hand is self defence
But they carry something! Be it a billy club, mag-lite, taser, or pepper-spray, they carry something as a criminal deterent. I don't know why you are thinking that there are other countries where the police just walk around and talk polite to the bad guys. Even without guns, police are still known to kick butt.

So do you also believe that one who "lives by the pepper-spray shall die by the pepper-spray"?

if your a cop, carry all these things you like

Nineveh

Merely Christian

Faith, trust in God, THE WORD

let go of the sword

...some words in BOLD...

when does Jesus teach you your enemies life is yours to take?

your enemies life belongs to God.

...completely evading the question....

:think:

:idea:

bW, I think you have been possessed by smaller! Where if Freak when you need him?

aharvey

:thumb:

as i recall, arent you atheist?

it is funny how atheist sometimes understand what Jesus said, better then his so called followers

Worse, I'm an evolutionary biologist! I'm not foolish enough to believe that we can say there is no God. I just don't go for the literal interpretation of the OT as infallible historical document. Although I know many people on this group do not seem to consider Catholics "real" Christians, that's how I was raised, Catholic schools and everything, so I'm not exactly naive about the contents of the Bible. I found the huge impact of Gibson's movie intriguing; apparently Catholics spend a good deal more time dwelling on the gory details of the passion than do other denominations, who were thus unprepared for a visual representation of these events.

aharvey

Originally posted by Aimiel

Because He knew our faith, that we would not walk in what He walked in, for quite some time. We haven't even begun to yet, 2,000 years later. I believe that The Lord also asked the most profound question ever posed upon the earth: "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" Every time I read that, I pray, "Lord, grant that you might find it in me."

Sorry, I don't see how that makes BW's viewpoint so wrong that it's not even worth considering.

brother Willi

Originally posted by Nineveh

...some words in BOLD...

...completely evading the question....

:think:

:idea:

bW, I think you have been possessed by smaller! Where if Freak when you need him?
i answered your question, with a question.
did you think about my questions?

philosophizer

First off, I thought you payed no heed to the Old Testament. So what does it matter what Cain did?

if the NT says a new Way, then it overwrites the OT

not all the OT is overwritten
Your god must be bipolar. "Kill kill kill... no wait... changed my mind... just let me wash your feet."

Second, how is this anything like imprisonment? This is not imprisonment, it is banishment. Should criminals today be banished?
thats how Australia got many of its folks
This is not an answer.

Why are you this dead-set against killing, claiming that Jesus never taught self-defense, and yet you accept imprisonment as a punishment? Show me where Jesus said "lock up all the murderers instead of killing them."
to stop a fist with your hand is self defence
Not an answer.

But they carry something! Be it a billy club, mag-lite, taser, or pepper-spray, they carry something as a criminal deterent. I don't know why you are thinking that there are other countries where the police just walk around and talk polite to the bad guys. Even without guns, police are still known to kick butt.

So do you also believe that one who "lives by the pepper-spray shall die by the pepper-spray"?
if your a cop, carry all these things you like
Not an answer!

This is why so many people are getting impatient with you, brother Willi. You aren't answering questions that people are asking you.

When I asked about banishment today, you talk about Australia. I understand the reference, but it does nothing toward answering my question.

When I asked you to show me where Jesus would support imprisoning murderers, you replied about stopping a fist. That didn't even ADDRESS the quote that it was a reply to.

When I challenged your idea that police in other countries don't carry weapons, you told me what I could do if I became a policeman. What does that have to do with my challenge?!!

Look. A lot of people are impatient with you. Some might have "blood in their eyes" as you say, but most are just put out by your inconsiderate discussion method. If some people have responded to you in aggrevation, it is only because you have not shown them the love you claim to cherish in your responses. You have made it appear as though you do not really care about what they are asking you.

When someone does this, people commonly just ignore the person. But I have seen people struggling against your conveyed apathy. They do this because they want to reach you and have a discussion.

Okay. Maybe you're style of posting isn't the long-argumentative form that most have here. But when you deliberately start several threads for the purpose of debating big issues, you had better at least attempt to present a proper debate form and actually break apart and answer questions presented to you.

Now here's reality. brother Willi, you are posting on a religious debate site. The purpose here is to debate. Debate involves a cycle of answering questions and then presenting new ones. When you don't answer questions, you don't appear to care. When you don't appear to care, you aren't showing Love. So why don't you show us some love and answer the questions that many people have, in love, presented to you.

brother Willi

Originally posted by aharvey

Worse, I'm an evolutionary biologist!
yep, but we can agree to disagree on evolution, and still be good neighbors

I'm not foolish enough to believe that we can say there is no God. I just don't go for the literal interpretation of the OT as infallible historical document. Although I know many people on this group do not seem to consider Catholics "real" Christians,
i see bloodthirsty OT lovin Christians as missing the point Jesus came to make.
there is scum in all ponds
there is also clean water in all ponds

that's how I was raised, Catholic schools and everything, so I'm not exactly naive about the contents of the Bible. I found the huge impact of Gibson's movie intriguing; apparently Catholics spend a good deal more time dwelling on the gory details of the passion than do other denominations, who were thus unprepared for a visual representation of these events.

yep, me too Catholic schools

brother Willi

Now here's reality. brother Willi, you are posting on a religious debate site. The purpose here is to debate. Debate involves a cycle of answering questions and then presenting new ones. When you don't answer questions, you don't appear to care. When you don't appear to care, you aren't showing Love. So why don't you show us some love and answer the questions that many people have, in love, presented to you.
to teach another, is sometimes the best way to learn yourself

philosophizer

to teach another, is sometimes the best way to learn yourself

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 --
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

Do you have love?