why own a gun?

aharvey

Originally posted by Nineveh

The command is, "Thou shalt not murder". Murder is the unlawful taking of life.

Um, but I thought you considered abortion, which has been lawful for a few decades now, to be murder.

Maybe you meant murder is the unlawful taking of life, plus abortion?

aharvey

Originally posted by Turbo

Unlawful doesn't always mean illegal. Look it up.

Hadn't realized that. It can mean "illegal" or "immoral." Not only that, but my Webster's dictionary, at least, does use "unlawful" when referring to murder, not "illegal." Well, actually it says murder is the unlawful and malicious taking of a human life by another human.

This thread goes a long way, at one level anyways, towards explaining the Christian-gun connection in this country. It's also interesting to note that the Biblical justifications being presented here either come from the eye-for-an-eye OT or from Paul, or else when Jesus himself is quoted it's way out of context. I think the range of situations in which you guys are comfortable with using deadly force is WAYYYY out of alignment with that of the Big Guy. Rationalize all you want ("What, you think he'd want Saddam to remain in power?"), but it's hard to escape the feeling that his view is that your temporary moment on this Earth should not be such a high priority for you that you should kill other people to prolong it.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by aharvey

Hadn't realized that. It can mean "illegal" or "immoral." Not only that, but my Webster's dictionary, at least, does use "unlawful" when referring to murder, not "illegal." Well, actually it says murder is the unlawful and malicious taking of a human life by another human.
:thumb: You got it! I'm actually quite pleased about that. There is a certain resident atheist on this board who refuses to acknowledge that simple point.

I think the range of situations in which you guys are comfortable with using deadly force is WAYYYY out of alignment with that of the Big Guy.
Aren't you pro-choice?

Rationalize all you want ... but it's hard to escape the feeling that his view is that your temporary moment on this Earth should not be such a high priority for you that you should kill other people to prolong it.
Then why did God specify that a man who kills in self-defense should not be punished?

philosophizer

Originally posted by brother Willi

was not Cain sent away?
First off, I thought you payed no heed to the Old Testament. So what does it matter what Cain did?

Second, how is this anything like imprisonment? This is not imprisonment, it is banishment. Should criminals today be banished?

Why are you this dead-set against killing, claiming that Jesus never taught self-defense, and yet you accept imprisonment as a punishment? Show me where Jesus said "lock up all the murderers instead of killing them."

good question, are there countries that dont allow there cops to carry guns?
But they carry something! Be it a billy club, mag-lite, taser, or pepper-spray, they carry something as a criminal deterent. I don't know why you are thinking that there are other countries where the police just walk around and talk polite to the bad guys. Even without guns, police are still known to kick butt.

So do you also believe that one who "lives by the pepper-spray shall die by the pepper-spray"?

aharvey

:thumb: You got it! I'm actually quite pleased about that. There is a certain resident atheist on this board who refuses to acknowledge that simple point.
No biggie. "Unlawful," "illegal," and "immoral" are just words, none of which were used in the original texts, right? (i.e., these are English words). It is too bad that the one word has these two meanings that differ in such an important way. Must be a source of lots of confusion.

Aren't you pro-choice?

You'll have to explain why that's not a non sequitur. I should also mention that I make no claim to having the perspective that perfectly aligns with that of Jesus.

Then why did God specify that a man who kills in self-defense should not be punished?

Which God is this, eye-for-an-eye or lose-your-life-by-saving-it? i.e., is this OT God or Jesus talking? You haven't followed up on the Peter-sword-Jesus-death penalty questions, so I'm assuming you're getting this from somewhere else?

philosophizer

Which God is this, eye-for-an-eye or lose-your-life-by-saving-it? i.e., is this OT God or Jesus talking?

You're not a Christian, right? Well, Christians believe they are one and the same. Which makes bW's position all the more perplexing.

aharvey

Originally posted by philosophizer

You're not a Christian, right? Well, Christians believe they are one and the same. Which makes bW's position all the more perplexing.

Oh, I understand full well that they are one in the same. I also understand that Jesus came in and clarified or otherwise changed a few things that were in the OT (what'd He say about food, for example?). I don't find BW's position perplexing at all. Jesus does say things that are more consistent with a meek inheriting the earth, turn the other cheek worldview. He doesn't spend a lot of time discussing when it's okay to do grievous bodily harm to others. Why aren't the implications of that even worth considering?

Aimiel

Originally posted by BillyBob

I'd rather have a handgun than a sword, it's much easier to concele and you don't have to get real close to the person you are about to kill.
Methinks this is why they wore long tunics in those days, so that even those who couldn't afford a sword might look like he's armed, by carrying a good stout stick under his clothing.

Aimiel

Originally posted by BillyBob

The person breaking into Brother Wackie's house is his brother, but the posters at this website are vipers!
Go ahead and preach, BillyBob!!! :thumb:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brother Willi

please teach me these words of kill my brother you speak of.
Originally posted by Lucky

Why would you consider an evildoer, i.e. someone breaking into your house, your "brother"?
Still waiting for a response, bW.

brother Willi

This thread goes a long way, at one level anyways, towards explaining the Christian-gun connection in this country. It's also interesting to note that the Biblical justifications being presented here either come from the eye-for-an-eye OT or from Paul, or else when Jesus himself is quoted it's way out of context. I think the range of situations in which you guys are comfortable with using deadly force is WAYYYY out of alignment with that of the Big Guy. Rationalize all you want ("What, you think he'd want Saddam to remain in power?"), but it's hard to escape the feeling that his view is that your temporary moment on this Earth should not be such a high priority for you that you should kill other people to prolong it.
:thumb:

as i recall, arent you atheist?

it is funny how atheist sometimes understand what Jesus said, better then his so called followers

Last edited:

Aimiel

Why aren't the implications of that even worth considering?
Because He knew our faith, that we would not walk in what He walked in, for quite some time. We haven't even begun to yet, 2,000 years later. I believe that The Lord also asked the most profound question ever posed upon the earth: "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" Every time I read that, I pray, "Lord, grant that you might find it in me."

brother Willi

Originally posted by philosophizer

some read the Word with a gun in their hand, fearing the bad guy breaking in the door.

fear is what seperates us.

brother Willi

Originally posted by Aimiel

Because He knew our faith, that we would not walk in what He walked in, for quite some time. We haven't even begun to yet, 2,000 years later. I believe that The Lord also asked the most profound question ever posed upon the earth: "Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" Every time I read that, I pray, "Lord, grant that you might find it in me."
do you own a gun for protection?

then fear is in you.

why do you fear man, dont you trust God?