why own a gun?

brother Willi

Originally posted by SOTK

It wasn't to make a point, bw, come on! There is only one reason to be ordered to carry weapons....defense. Jesus didn't want any of his disciples to be killed or harmed because He was being persecuted. He wanted them to protect themselves.

He healed that soldiers ear because he felt Peter acted out of anger and was not defending himself but Jesus. Jesus already knew what was going to happen to Him. It was an unnecessary act so he healed the soldier and told Peter to stand down.

That's my interpretation anyways.
and i am interested in your interpretation

could Jesus not defend them?

the swords were not used with his permision.

and when they got pulled out, Jesus stopped it.

he could have let them kill each other, then walked to the high preists house and said "here i am"

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brother Willi

im still not sure thats just today

it was in the OT
It's in the NT too. We've already shown you where.

I've seen you say that certain criminals ought to be imprisoned. Where's the Biblical justification for that?

And how are police officers supposed to go about apprehending criminals if the threat of force isn't allowed?

Jabez

Friend of Jesus
1-Exodus is OT,we dont live by that now.
2-Faith
3-Theres power in the most high name.Hebrews
Matthew-we are given authority over evil

Originally posted by Turbo

What makes you think the robber would leave? When did God ever promise that?

And what do you make of Exodus 22:2-3a? Why is that in the Bible?

brother Willi

It's in the NT too. We've already shown you where.
yep, and we are talkin about that

I've seen you say that certain criminals ought to be imprisoned. Where's the Biblical justification for that?

was not Cain sent away?

And how are police officers supposed to go about apprehending criminals if the threat of force isn't allowed?
good question, are there countries that dont allow there cops to carry guns?

Sozo

Originally posted by SOTK

It wasn't to make a point, bw, come on! There is only one reason to be ordered to carry weapons....defense. Jesus didn't want any of his disciples to be killed or harmed because He was being persecuted. He wanted them to protect themselves.

He healed that soldiers ear because he felt Peter acted out of anger and was not defending himself but Jesus. Jesus already knew what was going to happen to Him. It was an unnecessary act so he healed the soldier and told Peter to stand down.

That's my interpretation anyways.

Not to add any fuel to bro Willi's insanity, but the reason Jesus told them to go and buy a sword was so that the scripture could be fulfilled that He was numbered among transgressors...

"And He said to them, "When I sent you out without purse and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?" And they said, "No, nothing." And He said to them, "But now, let him who has a purse take it along, likewise also a bag, and let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. "For I tell you, that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, 'And He was numbered with transgressors'; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment." And they said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough....

... And when those who were around Him saw what was going to happen, they said, "Lord, shall we strike with the sword?" And a certain one of them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But Jesus answered and said, "Stop! No more of this." And He touched his ear and healed him"

brother Willi

Originally posted by Sozo

Not to add any fuel to bro Willi's insanity, but the reason Jesus told them to go and buy a sword was so that the scripture could be fulfilled that He was numbered among transgressors...

"And He said to them, "When I sent you out without purse and bag and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?" And they said, "No, nothing." And He said to them, "But now, let him who has a purse take it along, likewise also a bag, and let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. "For I tell you, that this which is written must be fulfilled in Me, 'And He was numbered with transgressors'; for that which refers to Me has its fulfillment." And they said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them, "It is enough....

... And when those who were around Him saw what was going to happen, they said, "Lord, shall we strike with the sword?" And a certain one of them struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his right ear. But Jesus answered and said, "Stop! No more of this." And He touched his ear and healed him"

bro Willi's insanity thanks you

SOTK

Originally posted by Sozo

Yes, you are correct, Sozo. That was really why He did that. Thanks.

SOTK

Aimiel

I don't see how you can cut off a man's ear, unless you're swinging to cut off his head, and you either are a poor swordsman, or the soldier is trained well enough that he can duck sideways. That's the way I picture Peter, being one of the 'sons of thunder' they were nicknamed. I believe he was trying to kill the soldier.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And what do you make of Exodus 22:2-3a? Why is that in the Bible?

Originally posted by Jabez

1-Exodus is OT,we dont live by that now.
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. The Exodus verses I referred to say that a man who kills a criminal in self-defense should not be punished. Are you saying that since "we dont live by that now," that the man who kills in self defense should be punished? If so, what should his penalty be?

What about murder, theft, and rape? They were crimes in the OT. Should they still be crimes today? When Paul wrote in Romans 13:1-4 that God wants governments to punish evildoers, what sorts of evildoers was he talking about?

What makes you think the robber would leave? When did God ever promise that?

Originally posted by Jabez

2-Faith

3-Theres power in the most high name.Hebrews
Matthew-we are given authority over evil
Would you please cite the specific passages you to which you are referring? Thanks, Jabez. :)

Last edited:

brother Willi

Originally posted by Aimiel

I don't see how you can cut off a man's ear, unless you're swinging to cut off his head, and you either are a poor swordsman, or the soldier is trained well enough that he can duck sideways. That's the way I picture Peter, being one of the 'sons of thunder' they were nicknamed. I believe he was trying to kill the soldier.
im guessing by the time stamp on the threads, you missed Sozo's reply , before your post went up.

i will assume you agree with Sozo , unless you say otherwise.

yes Peter was ready to kill for Jesus.

Jesus stopped the battle.

Thank God that it is written Peter denied Jesus, just as we ALL will at times.

Thank God even more that Jesus still loved Peter.

do you see yourself in your brothers eyes?

brother Willi

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. The Exodus verses I referred to say that a man who kills a criminal in self-defense should not be punished. Are you saying that since "we dont live by that now," that the man who kills in self defense should be punished? If so, what should his penalty be?

Jabez, please correct me if you think me wrong.

maybe, Jabez meant we should not kill in self defence.

What about murder, theft, and rape? They were crimes in the OT. Should they still be crimes today?

yes

When Paul wrote in Romans 13:1-4 that God wants governments to punish evildoers, what sorts of evildoers was he talking about?

Would you please cite the specific passages you to which you are referring? Thanks, Jabez. :)

first you must define a just government

temple2006

Poly....Saw your post in the shout box....Maybe that blood in your eye is not from your scratching...maybe it is a squirt from when you were washing your feet in the blood of your enemies, maybe?

brother Willi

Originally posted by temple 2000

Poly....Saw your post in the shout box....Maybe that blood in your eye is not from your scratching...maybe it is a squirt from when you were washing your feet in the blood of your enemies, maybe?

:thumb:
indeed something for Poly to ponder

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Why own a gun?

To save the innocent from evil intentions:
Laotian forces have been accused of raping, disembowelling and murdering children belonging to the minority Hmong tribe in a campaign of state-sponsored terror. cite

I do not understand how a tool can be held accountable instead of the evil heart that turns it into a weapon against innocent blood.