toldailytopic: How do you feel about building a mosque at ground zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman

Hmm. I live a couple of streets away from a local mosque. We have a fair share of Muslims in the area and funnily enough there's been no trouble at all. I guess they must all be scheming against the 'enemy' right? Get a grip. When you do you might just be in a position to criticise other people's intelligence. Maybe. Possibly. Well probably not but get a grip anyway. :e4e:
The differences YOU see in Muslims, and the conflicts between Muslims, has to do with strategy, not agenda. By violence or by stealth, the goal is the same.

Arthur Brain

The differences YOU see in Muslims, and the conflicts between Muslims, has to do with strategy, not agenda. By violence or by stealth, the goal is the same.

It's a wonder you walk out of your front door. What you're implying is as nuts as equating Fred Phelps blather with Christianity. Of course it's just plain insanity to think that most just want to live in peace with their families and coexist right?

MrRadish

As a friend of mine commented earlier today: It's a bit hypocritical for us to complain about creating a mosque next to Ground Zero, when in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan we've been creating Ground Zeroes next to mosques for almost a decade.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
As a friend of mine commented earlier today: It's a bit hypocritical for us to complain about creating a mosque next to Ground Zero, when in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan we've been creating Ground Zeroes next to mosques for almost a decade.

I saw that comment on Twitter, linked to from Reddit. :think:

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
Or how about the Christian missionary groups that have been allowed to go and try to convert people in Iraq and other places. Where is the sensitivity there?

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
Though I realize this will seem politically incorrect, I believe it is in bad taste to build a mosque at ground zero.

Even though I realize that not all Muslims are terrorists, to the family members of those victims who died on 9/11, it is disrespectful. These are the individuals whose feelings should be taken into account.

The mosque can be built elsewhere ... however, the deaths of all of those who lost their lives on 9/11 will forever be linked to this sacred spot.

Why in the world should grieving families who want to visit this spot have to view a building which is representative of the terrorists who did the deed?
As opposed to viewing the one that the builder currently has 5 blocks away from ground zero? The new one will be 3 blocks away. And what about people who attend the current mosque 5 blocks away? They lost family on 911 too. It seems like a bunch of paranoia for no reason. New mosque more offensive than the current one 5 blocks away?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Though I realize this will seem politically incorrect, I believe it is in bad taste to build a mosque at ground zero.
As others have pointed out, it isn't really at ground zero. At least it depends on how you define "ground zero".

Even though I realize that not all Muslims are terrorists, to the family members of those victims who died on 9/11, it is disrespectful. These are the individuals whose feelings should be taken into account.
Unless the builders of this mosque are like-minded with the terrorists who attacked us, how is it disrespectful?

The mosque can be built elsewhere ... however, the deaths of all of those who lost their lives on 9/11 will forever be linked to this sacred spot.
I will partially agree that the mosque and cultural center could be built somewhere else and I kind of wish Rauf had never started this. But since we're here....

Why in the world should grieving families who want to visit this spot have to view a building which is representative of the terrorists who did the deed?
The mosque shouldn't represent the terrorists, though. In my opinion, it only represents the terrorists to those who wrongly believe we are at war with Islam. Fighting this mosque just feeds into that wrong conception. And it risks making violent extremists out of moderates.

Status
Not open for further replies.