toldailytopic: How do you feel about building a mosque at ground zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How do you feel about building a mosque at ground zero?

Though I realize this will seem politically incorrect, I believe it is in bad taste to build a mosque at ground zero.

Even though I realize that not all Muslims are terrorists, to the family members of those victims who died on 9/11, it is disrespectful. These are the individuals whose feelings should be taken into account.

The mosque can be built elsewhere ... however, the deaths of all of those who lost their lives on 9/11 will forever be linked to this sacred spot.

Why in the world should grieving families who want to visit this spot have to view a building which is representative of the terrorists who did the deed?

madman

They are what? Putting us to death? Well, if that is what you were saying then you missed the point of the question. The question is are they justified in putting us to death based on the fact that we are their enemy.
I haven't "missed the point", you imbecile. "They" are the murderers. I'm sure many murderers justify their actions, but it doesn't change what they are. Who gives a crap what a murderers perspective is.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I haven't "missed the point", you imbecile. "They" are the murderers. I'm sure many murderers justify their actions, but it doesn't change what they are. Who gives a crap what a murderers perspective is.
They are the murderers from your point of view. From their point of view, they are defending their homes and families against an invading army. Do you not have the right to defend your home and family against invaders? Why don't they have the same right?

madman

They are the murderers from your point of view. From their point of view, they are defending their homes and families against an invading army. Do you not have the right to defend your home and family against invaders? Why don't they have the same right?
Like I said earlier, and you denied, your mindset is such that you believe that everyone should do what is right in their own eyes. You exemplify someone with zero discernment.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Like I said earlier, and you denied, your mindset is such that you believe that everyone should do what is right in their own eyes. You exemplify someone with zero discernment.
I know its a tough question to answer and that is why I asked you. So I'll ask you again, does a person have the right to defend their home and family against invaders?

madman

I know its a tough question to answer and that is why I asked you. So I'll ask you again, does a person have the right to defend their home and family against invaders?
Yes, and it is also right to defend your neighbor's home, if you know he cannot defend himself.

America's error, in recent years, regarding our involvement in Muslim nations, is not that we are fighting against the aggressors, but that we think that some Muslims want to live in harmony with us, and believe in democracy.

Arthur Brain

Yes, and it is also right to defend your neighbor's home, if you know he cannot defend himself.

America's error, in recent years, regarding our involvement in Muslim nations, is not that we are fighting against the aggressors, but that we think that some Muslims want to live in harmony with us, and believe in democracy.

What makes you think there aren't plenty of Muslims who want to live peaceably with you? :squint:

fool

Hall of Fame
Though I realize this will seem politically incorrect, I believe it is in bad taste to build a mosque at ground zero.

Even though I realize that not all Muslims are terrorists, to the family members of those victims who died on 9/11, it is disrespectful. These are the individuals whose feelings should be taken into account.

The mosque can be built elsewhere ... however, the deaths of all of those who lost their lives on 9/11 will forever be linked to this sacred spot.

Why in the world should grieving families who want to visit this spot have to view a building which is representative of the terrorists who did the deed?

People from that Mosque were first responders on 9-11 and perished.
Why should they be second class citizens?

Arthur Brain

And you, and anyone who is not Muslim. You're just too stupid and naive to know it.

Hmm. I live a couple of streets away from a local mosque. We have a fair share of Muslims in the area and funnily enough there's been no trouble at all. I guess they must all be scheming against the 'enemy' right? Get a grip. When you do you might just be in a position to criticise other people's intelligence. Maybe. Possibly. Well probably not but get a grip anyway. :e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It isn't at ground zero. It's a few blocks away. How many blocks until it becomes respectful to build a house of worship? :plain:

Even though I realize that not all Muslims are terrorists,
Not all? How many? What's the percentage of Islam and by what reckoning? Pew has the world wide Islamic population at a little more than a billion and a half.

to the family members of those victims who died on 9/11, it is disrespectful. These are the individuals whose feelings should be taken into account.

...Why in the world should grieving families who want to visit this spot have to view a building which is representative of the terrorists who did the deed?
But should a mosque be seen as that symbol? And if that's the case why not tear down mosques anywhere a relative of someone who died in 9/11 lives to spare them the same errant consideration...

At some point we need to level our heads here.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Does this right extend to non-Christians? Would you defend your neighbors house if they were anything other than Christian?

madman said:
I fully agree with you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.