toldailytopic: How do you feel about building a mosque at ground zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 16th, 2010 11:23 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

WizardofOz

I can understand the emotional objection, but as Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell said about this possibility, "we do have a right to practice our religion freely wherever we choose. Rights are not subject to the popular vote or majority vote."

I wholeheartedly agree. We cannot decide when or to whom religious freedoms apply.

bybee

Well

Well

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 16th, 2010 11:23 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

How do I feel? Well, at the very least it is a dreadful display of insensitivity and bad manners. At the very worst it is an opportunity to gloat by taking advantage of our laws to thumb their noses at us.
I hope they will reconsider and build their mosque somewhere else.
bybee

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'd like to get the thoughts of the people behind it, but in the end I don't really care. Let them build it. If we stop them it just perpetuates the wrong and negative message that we are at war with Islam.

And I agree with Wizard - I don't want the government telling people where they can or can't build their religious buildings.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It isn't a mosque for worship, it is a monument to radical islam's slaughter on 9-11. The mosque is merely the vehicle used to push it.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It isn't a mosque for worship, it is a monument to radical islam's slaughter on 9-11. The mosque is merely the vehicle used to push it.

Why do you say that? Is there any evidence that is the intent of the people behind the mosque?

Cracked

If we have decided that we have the right to worship however we would like in our country, then why would we let them dictate where and how we can do that?

Quincy

The nations new favorite hobby is sadly paranoia. It doesn't surprise me people object to this. As long as they do it legally and in accordance with city ordinances, I'm fine with it or any other religious establishment they want to put there.

ragTagblues

Obviously being English I can't really comment . . . . But I will anyway!

I agree with bybee in so far that its more then a little insensitive and surely a better place could be found, however I feel it could do great good in strengthening relations with Islamic countries etc. It is a clear message to the world that you have not forgotten what happened; but that America and Islam can still be friends.

I also think it very brave of whoever is planning this, considering the lynchings this mosque is likely to receive.

bybee

Well

Well

I'd like to get the thoughts of the people behind it, but in the end I don't really care. Let them build it. If we stop them it just perpetuates the wrong and negative message that we are at war with Islam.

And I agree with Wizard - I don't want the government telling people where they can or can't build their religious buildings.

The government isn't telling them anything!
A large number of American citizens are telling them something about how they/we feel about this.
It is so unnecessary. If they wished to get along and make a statement of peaceful intent, they would build their mosque elsewhere and they would be very forthcoming about financing.
Religion a factor, no doubt, but it is not the primary factor. A show of respect is, I think, the primary factor.
bybee

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Link

An article on the matter that I agree with.

No question there are deep and emotional issues that cut on both sides of the argument. And both sides have strong merit to their cases.

But President Obama knows two important things: (1) Al Qaeda wants the world to believe that America is at war with Islam, and if an American president stands up in support of a mosque near the 9/11 site, then that narrative loses force; and (2) religious tolerance is the hallmark of American history and we can’t conveniently reject that heritage just because the issue may be emotional and painful.

George. W. Bush’s gifted speech writer Mike Gerson, as usual, weighs in eloquently:

“An enormously complex and emotional issue—but ultimately the right thing to do. A president is president for every citizen, including every Muslim citizen. Obama is correct that the way to marginalize radicalism is to respect the best traditions of Islam and protect the religious liberty of Muslim Americans. It is radicals who imagine an American war on Islam. But our conflict is with the radicals alone.”

And New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg lays out the case succinctly:

“The simple fact is, this building is private property, and the owners have a right to use the building as a house of worship, and the government has no right whatsoever to deny that right. And if it were tried, the courts would almost certainly strike it down as a violation of the U.S. Constitution.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The government isn't telling them anything!
A large number of American citizens are telling them something about how they/we feel about this.
It is so unnecessary. If they wished to get along and make a statement of peaceful intent, they would build their mosque elsewhere and they would be very forthcoming about financing.
Religion a factor, no doubt, but it is not the primary factor. A show of respect is, I think, the primary factor.
bybee

The respect issue came up in another thread and I'll give the same response here. I don't see how it is disrespectful. This isn't Bin Laden coming here to build a mosque. The builders of this mosque are not supporters of the 9/11 attacks. We are not at war with Islam, in general. I don't think it is necessarily disrespectful to the victims of the attacks.

If the people behind this didn't foresee any controversy then I would say they are naive, at best, and you might question them on their decision in light of that (personally I would want to avoid the controversy), but the process is started now and I say let them complete it.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
How do I feel? Well, at the very least it is a dreadful display of insensitivity and bad manners. At the very worst it is an opportunity to gloat by taking advantage of our laws to thumb their noses at us.
bybee
DO you feel the same sense of insensitivity when Native Americans complain and protest Christian churches being built to close to them because of their dark history with Christians?

What about the insensitivity they feel is being showed when Thanksgiving is celebrated?

Did you know the mosque builders currently have a mosque five blocks from ground zero, that has been there before 911, and this new mosque is three blocks away? What about the other mosque in the area, are they being insensitive by worshiping in them?

Muslims died on 911 too, should Muslims also feel that building that mosque is being insensitive to them? Singling a people out due to their religion instead of realizing that Americans died on 911 and Americans are building a Mosque is a step back into darker times in American history where ignorance ruled.

It makes little sense to protest something that has nothing to do with 911. It seems to be a lot of irrational fear band wagon jumping.

El DLo

Honestly, I think that if Americans could be slightly more open-minded to other cultures, it would serve to promote peace. The fact of the matter is that the 9/11 attacks were committed by terrorists. The fact that those terrorists were Islamic is no indication of the vast majority of Muslims, especially those in America. The people who dropped the bomb on Hiroshima were most likely Christian (as are the majority of Americans) but it doesn't mean Christians did the attacks. Americans did. This logic applies just as much here. Muslim Americans died in the attacks, lost family in the attacks, and outright opposed the attacks. Just because a terrorist has a religion, doesn't mean they represent it.

If people could open their minds, I think they would realize that this effort serves to say "Hey, Americans. We live here, we're Muslims, but we're also American." That correlation between Islam and terrorism needs to be stomped out, because the actions of radicals do not reflect the opinions of the majority, just in the way that the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church does not in any way reflect the overall mentality of the majority of Christian in the country.

I live in New York. I know people who lost family members in the attacks, and yet I don't think it's insensitive. The only way it could be considered insensitive is if you're willing to say that the attacks were the fault of all Muslims and not of a radical terrorist organization.

bybee

Agreed

Agreed

The respect issue came up in another thread and I'll give the same response here. I don't see how it is disrespectful. This isn't Bin Laden coming here to build a mosque. The builders of this mosque are not supporters of the 9/11 attacks. We are not at war with Islam, in general. I don't think it is necessarily disrespectful to the victims of the attacks.

If the people behind this didn't foresee any controversy then I would say they are naive, at best, and you might question them on their decision in light of that (personally I would want to avoid the controversy), but the process is started now and I say let them complete it.

I believe in the rule of law. If they persist regardless of public opinion then so be it.
I hope they will engage in some good PR and hopefully, somewhat, defuse the situation.
bybee

davidgmcdowell

Answering the question properly: "How do I FEEL..."

I feel like this is the Islamic community's way of somehow thumbing their nose at us and I think they would be better off finding another place for their mosque or not pursuing it at all, considering that there are already other mosques in the area.

However, they are perfectly within their constitutional rights to pursue this and if all the legal challenges are met and overcome, they may place thier mosque on site...

...but it doesn't mean I have to like it or even be nice about it.

Krsto

bybee

Why would your average Joe Muslim who doesn't believe the 911 attacks really represent his religion care about the feelings of the many Americans who think it does? Do we pull Christian missionaries out of a country because a bunch of ignoramasus think Christian missionaries are spies for their government? Did Jesus worry about people's feelings when he "did the right thing"?

bybee

Well

Well

Why would your average Joe Muslim who doesn't believe the 911 attacks really represent his religion care about the feelings of the many Americans who think it does? Do we pull Christian missionaries out of a country because a bunch of ignoramasus think Christian missionaries are spies for their government? Did Jesus worry about people's feelings when he "did the right thing"?

Right!

zoo22

I think that by allowing it to be built, we're holding our principles high and exemplifying our freedoms, our determination and our strength.

I'm disappointed if we turn it into something that polarizes from within.

bybee

Well

Well

DO you feel the same sense of insensitivity when Native Americans complain and protest Christian churches being built to close to them because of their dark history with Christians?

What about the insensitivity they feel is being showed when Thanksgiving is celebrated?

Did you know the mosque builders currently have a mosque five blocks from ground zero, that has been there before 911, and this new mosque is three blocks away? What about the other mosque in the area, are they being insensitive by worshiping in them?

Muslims died on 911 too, should Muslims also feel that building that mosque is being insensitive to them? Singling a people out due to their religion instead of realizing that Americans died on 911 and Americans are building a Mosque is a step back into darker times in American history where ignorance ruled.

It makes little sense to protest something that has nothing to do with 911. It seems to be a lot of irrational fear band wagon jumping.

It doesn't matter about existing mosques and it doesn't matter that other insensitivies have occurred. We are attempting to deal with this issue. The building of a mosque is obviously not the issue. As you have pointed out other mosques already exist. The issue, right or wrong, is sensitivity to the feelings of one's neighbors. In this case, the neighbors are many Americans from across the land.
You are aware that churches are not allowed to be built in Islamic theocracies? But that is also not the issue. This could so easily be resolved by building the mosque elsewhere. I believe the Pope showed beautiful sensitivity when he stopped the building of a convent close to a Nazi death camp because concerns were raised by relatives of those who had perished there.
In this instance it may be that the "letter" of the law shall be fulfilled, but, the "spirit" of the law shall be bruised and battered.

If the mosque is built, then so be it. Americans will eventually get used to it.
bybee

Status
Not open for further replies.