toldailytopic: Bomb in Oslo Norway. What should authorities do to keep the public saf

This Charming Manc

They perform terrorist acts. :idunno:

I thought the aim was to find and stop tem befoire they kill lots of people ?

No, it would be pretty silly to say that going on christian fundementalist forums, holding right wing views, taking an anti islam position and owning legal guns makes one a terrorist.

You should stop doing that.

Im not. I am suggesting terrorist are hard to spot whether they are christian, muslim or just madmen.

some other dude

So, he's an idiot for thinking that...
"We'll destroy you, your family, your children, your aunts, uncles, every blood relation to you."
... is unreasonable?

I didn't say it was reasonable. I said that that strategy worked for the Soviets in Lebanon.

And I notice that you dropped the "untargeted", which was a major part of why I called him an idiot.

See, this is pretty much the attitude of the Norwegian murderer. He didn't hesitate to slaughter the children of those he considered his enemies.

Yep. That makes him a bad guy.

And if you are a Christian, presumably the teachings of Jesus Christ mean something to you?

Yep, they sure do. :thumb:

How exactly is...
"We'll destroy you, your family, your children, your aunts, uncles, every blood relation to you."
...loving your enemies?

I don't think the Soviets worried too much about that.

Don't tell me..........
When I read in the Bible, (that you say is the ultimate authority on Earth),

Where did I say that? :idunno:

that Jesus teaches,
"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"

it doesn't mean what it says, right?

I dunno John. With all the trouble you're having reading what I posted, maybe trying to understand the bible isn't a real good idea for you right now.

John Mortimer

I didn't say it was reasonable. I said that that strategy worked for the Soviets in Lebanon.
In post #3 you are clearly recommending this course of action. Are you recommending an unreasonable course of action then?

And I notice that you dropped the "untargeted",
...as an acknowledgement of the fact that your recommendation included targeting. :e4e:
which was a major part of why I called him an idiot.
Right - so are you still calling him an idiot for describing your recommended response "unreasonable"?:idunno:
Yep. That makes him a bad guy.
Ok. So you would not want to see the children of Islamic terrorists slaughtered?

I don't think the Soviets worried too much about that.
No, well the Soviets didn't worry too much about Jesus' teachings because :listen: the Soviets were not Christians.

Where did I say that? :idunno:
OK - sorry - my apologies - you didn't say that & I admit I've never actually seen you indicate that the Bible is the ultimate authority on Earth. My bad.
I dunno John. With all the trouble you're having reading what I posted, maybe trying to understand the bible isn't a real good idea for you right now.
Maybe not, indeed!

some other dude

In post #3 you are clearly recommending this course of action. Are you recommending an unreasonable course of action then?

Isn't that pretty much what we did in Iraq?

...as an acknowledgement of the fact that your recommendation included targeting. :e4e:
Right - so are you still calling him an idiot for describing your recommended response "unreasonable"?:idunno:

I called him an idiot for calling it "unreasonable and untargeted".

It was clearly not untargetted.

And "unreasonable"? Hard to say. It seemed to work for the Soviets.

Ok. So you would not want to see the children of Islamic terrorists slaughtered?

I'm not sure why we're discussing Islam. The guy in Norway wasn't Islamic.

John Mortimer

John, you're not having a good day today...have you not heard of the Russian Orthodox Church founded by apostle Andrew?

I certainly have, my friend! ;)

Do you think the people who made the military decisions that SOD refers to were members of that church? Serious question - they may have been for all I know..........

John Mortimer

Despite all of this friendly "fun" we're having.......

I have to say, these events have really depressed me. I don't want to live in a world where this kind of thing happens. In Scotland we feel a certain kinship and closeness to Norway because Norway is one of the civilizations that formed what Scotland is today, (the others being the Celts, the Picts & the English). I wish there was something I could say or do that would help the Norwegian people - some of whom I have been talking to on other forums - in some way.

I can't though..... when faced with this kind of insanity...... what are you supposed to say?!

some other dude

Despite all of this friendly "fun" we're having.......

I have to say, these events have really depressed me. I don't want to live in a world where this kind of thing happens. In Scotland we feel a certain kinship and closeness to Norway because Norway is one of the civilizations that formed what Scotland is today, (the others being the Celts, the Picts & the English).

Interesting that you would view it that way. Your Celtic forbears from 1200 years ago would likely have had a different view of the Norsemen, and might have recognized the berserker elements present in Anders Behring Breivik's attack.

This translation from the Haraldskvæði saga describes Harald's berserkers:

I'll ask of the berserks, you tasters of blood,
Those intrepid heroes, how are they treated,
Those who wade out into battle?
Wolf-skinned they are called. In battle
They bear bloody shields.
Red with blood are their spears when they come to fight.
They form a closed group.
The prince in his wisdom puts trust in such men
Who hack through enemy shields.[4]

I'm sure the monks at Lindisfarne were terrorized in 793.

Alcuin, a Northumbrian scholar in Charlemagne's court at the time, wrote:

Never before has such terror appeared in Britain as we have now suffered from a pagan race. . . .The heathens poured out the blood of saints around the altar, and trampled on the bodies of saints in the temple of God, like dung in the streets.

Us northmen are a bloody lot, aren't we?

John Mortimer

Interesting that you would view it that way. Your Celtic forbears from 1200 years ago would likely have had a different view of the Norsemen, and might have recognized the berserker elements present in Anders Behring Breivik's attack.

This translation from the Haraldskvæði saga describes Harald's berserkers:

I'll ask of the berserks, you tasters of blood,
Those intrepid heroes, how are they treated,
Those who wade out into battle?
Wolf-skinned they are called. In battle
They bear bloody shields.
Red with blood are their spears when they come to fight.
They form a closed group.
The prince in his wisdom puts trust in such men
Who hack through enemy shields.[4]

I'm sure the monks at Lindisfarne were terrorized in 793.

Alcuin, a Northumbrian scholar in Charlemagne's court at the time, wrote:

Never before has such terror appeared in Britain as we have now suffered from a pagan race. . . .The heathens poured out the blood of saints around the altar, and trampled on the bodies of saints in the temple of God, like dung in the streets.

Us northmen are a bloody lot, aren't we?

Lindisfarne is England, by the way....... not Scotland.

Why do you want to retain & inflame old grudges and rivalries? You sad little OLD person!

some other dude

Lindisfarne is England, by the way....... not Scotland.

Yes, I know. Just barely.

I found it interesting that accounts from twelve hundred and eighteen years ago decribed the Norsemen as bringing "terror".

Why do you want to retain & inflame old grudges and rivalries?

Why do you assume that's what I'm trying to do? :idunno:

You sad little OLD person!

John, that was weak, even for a mangy git like you. :nono: