toldailytopic: Bomb in Oslo Norway. What should authorities do to keep the public saf

Alate_One

:plain:

-War? Who are we at war with?

-Anyone who impinges on America's freedom. Terrorist states, Stanley. Someone must bring their war to them. They bomb a church, we bomb ten. They hijack a plane, we take out an airport. They execute American tourists, we tactically nuke an entire city. Our job is to make terrorism so horrific that it becomes unthinkable to attack Americans.

~Gabriel Shear
Swordfish 2001

Because obviously, that's what Christ would have us do. . . . . Not to mention starting WW3

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Norway should do what the Swiss do, train their citizens how to use and carry firearms. The terrorist shows up with his bomb, then Bang, problem solved. Terrorists won't mess with Norway anymore.

The US gun control laws should be about teaching people how to control a gun, not banning them. Training decent citizen how to use weapons would go a long way toward discouraging terrorists.

eameece

"terrorize the terrorists"

I'm afraid the west doesn't have the will to protect themselves in such a brutal way. The libs have wussified us to the point of negotiating or otherwise dealing with terrorists.

Speak to them in the language they understand.

Bomb us?

We'll destroy you, your family, your children, your aunts, uncles, every blood relation to you.

It worked with Gaddafi in 1986.

Yeah, fight terror with more terror. That's the way of the dinosaurs. Make us all extinct; yeah!

You sir, are an idiot. :party:

eameece

Norway should do what the Swiss do, train their citizens how to use and carry firearms. The terrorist shows up with his bomb, then Bang, problem solved. Terrorists won't mess with Norway anymore.

The US gun control laws should be about teaching people how to control a gun, not banning them. Training decent citizen how to use weapons would go a long way toward discouraging terrorists.

No, someone was allowed, or got away with, getting all these weapons. Control the weapons! More gun control, not less, is the way to deal with things here and in Norway!

eameece

Yeah - and the guy, (who was responsible for the shootings and was seen in central Oslo 2 hours previous), is a blonde Norwegian.

That'll be a big disappointment for some on these boards. :rolleyes:

Yes indeed. Pogo wins. We have met the enemy, and they are us.

zoo22

That is correct. The man who is under arrest is Norwegian. They have no clue about what his motives were yet or whether he worked alone. I guess we will find out more about that tomorrow.

Assumptions and pure speculations about guilt is dangerous in situations like this. Sadly, many use this as an excuse to be a little extra racist or islamophobic today.

Hi Selaphiel, I'm glad you're safe and hope all of your friends and family are also. It's an awful thing to have had happen... Seeing those plumes of smoke is a strange, emotional, disturbing thing to experience. I'm sure it'll be chaotic there for a while. Senseless and a shame. Thanks for the updates. Stay well.

Selaphiel

Seems like the arrested man is a right wing extremist and a nationalist, that is based on the latest information I have seen from the news media here.

Flipper

How is a gun going to stop a car bomb or a suicide bomber? They're not contractually obliged to yell "Allah Akbar" and show off their explosives before detonating, you know.

some other dude

Pray for the families in Norway.

'Eighty dead' in Norway shooting

Eyewitness, Emma: "I could smell the gunpowder"

Hours after a massive bomb struck the heart of Oslo, reports began emerging of fresh horror: the indiscriminate shooting of young people attending a youth camp of the ruling Labour Party on an island west of the capital, in one of the world's worst killing sprees.

A gunman opened fire on campers on the tiny island of Utoeya, sowing panic among them, before finally being arrested.

At least 80 people were killed, police say, warning that figure could rise as several people are still missing. Initial reports put the death-toll at 10

Alate_One

It's a movie you dork.....go wag your crooked finger at someone who cares. :p

Okay well Sod was serious, I think. I've also known several RL people that have seriously advocated turning the middle east into a "parking lot" to "solve" the terrorist problem. And the movie musta been WRONG anyway . . . :patrol:

Arthur Brain

Um, do you think terrorists carry around banners saying "we're here to blow up the embassy" or something? That they have an aura about them that distinguishes them as grenade carrying lunatics? Maybe they have neon lights on their forehead just to give the game away right?

Or could it just possibly be that such people actually go to lengths to disguise their intent? :idea:

This really is just so pathetic. Real life is not like a 'Rambo' movie....

:plain:

Alate_One

How is a gun going to stop a car bomb or a suicide bomber? They're not contractually obliged to yell "Allah Akbar" and show off their explosives before detonating, you know.

Quite true and in this case you've got a guy in a fake police uniform. Would be hard to know anything was amiss until he started shooting and even then, you might be confused as to what was going on for a while.

Seems like a very nasty premeditated attack. This is from an online Norwegian friend.

He had a fake police uniform and took a boat out to the island, told everyone to gather for their own safety, because of the bombing in Oslo. And then just opend fire, into the crowd and apperently he started a private small company in 2009, a farming company, so he had legal access to alot of fertilizer

some other dude

TV aerial images showed police commandos arriving in boats as survivors tried to swim to shore.

Others tried to hide in undergrowth, appealing for help through text messages (SMS) from mobile phones, because they feared that calls would give them away.

Start Quote
There is gunfire, I am hiding”
End Quote
Text message received by a father from his daughter on the island

Some of those who caught sight of the gunman described a Norwegian-looking man, tall and blonde, dressed in what appeared to be a police uniform.

Adrian Pracon, an official who attended the event, told Norway's Varden newspaper of "complete panic" among the campers, adding that he had seen four dead bodies.

'Bodies in water'

Anita Bakaas, mother of a teenage girl who survived the ordeal unharmed, told BBC World TV that some 600 people had been camping in tents in woods.

Her daughter, she said, had hidden in a toilet with four other girls for an hour, keeping in contact by text message.

The girl told her mother the shooting had begun after campers were called to a meeting to hear about the bombing in Oslo, which had occurred several hours earlier.

As she hid, people outside the toilet door were being shot and killed, her mother said.

A witness quoted by Norwegian broadcaster NRK said a man in police uniform had called on people to gather round, before opening fire.

The father of a girl attending the summer camp said he had received an SMS that said: "There is gunfire, I am hiding."

"We communicated by SMS," he added. "She told me not to call so as not to give away her hiding place."

Ali Esbati, a Swedish politician of Iranian descent who was at the camp, told the BBC he saw the suspected gunman hours after the shootings began, having been hiding in the woods.

Mr Esbati said that he appeared to be in a police uniform and was holding a rifle.

"I jumped into the water like several other people and moved a few metres away and tried to see if he was coming".

A number of witnesses described how terrified campers jumped into the water to escape the indiscriminate gunfire. But the gunman reportedly fired at people swimming away.

"I saw many dead people," youth camp delegate Elise told the Associated Press news agency. "He first shot people on the island. Afterwards he started shooting people in the water."

She said she hid behind the rock the gunman was standing on: "I could hear his breathing from the top of the rock," she said.

Police say they are scouring the lake for bodies.

Anders Frydenberg, Oslo police, on island attack: "The police are doing everything they can"
Andre Skeie, 26, told Reuters news agency he had seen 20 dead bodies in the water after arriving on his boat to help evacuate people.

Well, running away and hiding didn't work all that well. Can't help wondering if armed resistance might have helped. :think:

Oh yes, he was stopped when armed resistance arrived.

Uberpod1

BANNED
Banned
Anders Behring Breivik, the killer, appears to be a conservative Christian according to facebook page. Might be bogus.

zoo22

STOCKHOLM (AP) — The 32-year-old suspected of massacring at least 80 young people at a summer camp and setting off a bomb in downtown Oslo that killed at least seven is a mystery to investigators: a right-winger with anti-Muslim views but no known links to hardcore extremists.

"He just came out of nowhere," a police official told The Associated Press.

Public broadcaster NRK and several other Norwegian media identified the suspected attacker as Anders Behring Breivik, a blond and blue-eyed Norwegian who expressed right-wing and anti-Muslim views on the Internet.

Continued:

Gunman's background puzzles police in Norway

Glenda

I just saw the footage taken by the helicopter over the island and can't stop crying ... childrens' bodies in the water and all over the ground. If this is such a dreadful heartbreak for a long-distance stranger like me, may there please be comfort for all the families and nation this tragedy touches personally.
So very sorry for so many families in grief.

What can we do to stop such evils occurring? Nothing. We can only support those harmed by such events