toldailytopic: Bomb in Oslo Norway. What should authorities do to keep the public saf

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 22nd, 2011 09:41 AM

toldailytopic: Bomb in Oslo Norway. What should authorities do to keep the public safe from terrorist attacks?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

IXOYE

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 22nd, 2011 09:41 AM

toldailytopic: Bomb in Oslo Norway. What should authorities do to keep the public safe from terrorist attacks?

You can't do anything to prevent them, that's why they are called terrorist attacks.

If you want to stop the attacks, capitulate.

Those are your options.

if you try to pet a rabid dog, you'll get bit.

some other dude

Russia, over some two centuries, has developed some very successful techniques for dealing with terrorists. When confronted with terrorist attacks like this, the Russians go in and play by terrorist rules. They terrorize the terrorists. Back in the 1980s, for example, Islamic terrorists in Lebanon kidnapped a Russian diplomat. The Russians (then the Soviets, a distinction without much difference in these matters) quickly found out which faction had their guy, kidnapped a relative of one of the kidnappers, and had a body part delivered to the Islamic kidnappers. The message was, release the Russian diplomat unharmed, or the KGB (Soviet secret police) would keep sending body parts, and grabbing kinfolk of the kidnappers. The Russian diplomat was released. Apparently that lesson has been forgotten, at least in some parts of Iraq.

"terrorize the terrorists"

I'm afraid the west doesn't have the will to protect themselves in such a brutal way. The libs have wussified us to the point of negotiating or otherwise dealing with terrorists.

Speak to them in the language they understand.

Bomb us?

We'll destroy you, your family, your children, your aunts, uncles, every blood relation to you.

It worked with Gaddafi in 1986.

Selaphiel

Things are quite chaotic here. There is confirmed that there are more dead people inside the buildings. Most likely it is a massive car bomb. I live only around 3km away from the explosion, I can see smoke from my window.

There is also a shooting incident at a summer camp for one of the political parties (the same political party as the prime minister) close by. Rumors say that it is man disguised as a police officer. There is not much solid information on the latter incident yet.

Tyrathca

It's important not to over-react with security. This incident will get a lot of press and attention which will make it look like this is a major threat, when in reality further attacks will be rare at most even with no changes. While it is always important to defend the public the risk to people of terror attacks in Norway is far lower than almost all other threats. As such I hope Norway doesn't throw away what makes them so great and what makes them a target, the openness of their society, by instituting draconian security measures out of panic.

Selaphiel

Looks like the second incident is quite serious. 9-10 shot and killed and 9-10 severely wounded so far. :(
For those who do not know. This second and most likely connected incidence is a gun man who disguised himself as a police officer entered the annual summer camp for the Worker's youth league.

some other dude

Wiki's already got a page up.

Possibly related events
Ansar al-Islam
Al Jazeera reported that several days prior to the explosion, Norwegian prosecutors filed a terrorism charge against Mullah Krekar, the founder of the Kurdish Ansar al-Islam, who faced accusations of threatening former Minister of Local Government and Regional Development Erna Solberg with death. He responded that "Norway will pay a heavy price for my death. If, for example, Erna Solberg deports me and I die as a result, she will suffer the same fate." However, Al Jazeera stated it was not clear whether the case was related to the blast.[17] Mullah Krekar's lawyer Brynjar Meling denies that Krekar has any involvement with the bombing.[35]

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
"terrorize the terrorists"

I'm afraid the west doesn't have the will to protect themselves in such a brutal way. The libs have wussified us to the point of negotiating or otherwise dealing with terrorists.

Speak to them in the language they understand.

Bomb us?

We'll destroy you, your family, your children, your aunts, uncles, every blood relation to you.

It worked with Gaddafi in 1986.

:plain:

-War? Who are we at war with?

-Anyone who impinges on America's freedom. Terrorist states, Stanley. Someone must bring their war to them. They bomb a church, we bomb ten. They hijack a plane, we take out an airport. They execute American tourists, we tactically nuke an entire city. Our job is to make terrorism so horrific that it becomes unthinkable to attack Americans.

~Gabriel Shear
Swordfish 2001

Arthur Brain

Things are quite chaotic here. There is confirmed that there are more dead people inside the buildings. Most likely it is a massive car bomb. I live only around 3km away from the explosion, I can see smoke from my window.

There is also a shooting incident at a summer camp for one of the political parties (the same political party as the prime minister) close by. Rumors say that it is man disguised as a police officer. There is not much solid information on the latter incident yet.

Make sure you stay safe Sela. That is scary stuff....

John Mortimer

One person has been arrested and is now being interrogated according to the police, but they do not know for sure how many people are involved.

Yeah - and the guy, (who was responsible for the shootings and was seen in central Oslo 2 hours previous), is a blonde Norwegian.

That'll be a big disappointment for some on these boards. :rolleyes:

Selaphiel

Yeah - and the guy, (who was responsible for the shootings and was seen in central Oslo 2 hours previous), is a blonde Norwegian.

That'll be a big disappointment for some on these boards. :rolleyes:

That is correct. The man who is under arrest is Norwegian. They have no clue about what his motives were yet or whether he worked alone. I guess we will find out more about that tomorrow.

Assumptions and pure speculations about guilt is dangerous in situations like this. Sadly, many use this as an excuse to be a little extra racist or islamophobic today.

John Mortimer

That is correct. The man who is under arrest is Norwegian. They have no clue about what his motives were yet or whether he worked alone. I guess we will find out more about that tomorrow.

Assumptions and pure speculations about guilt is dangerous in situations like this. Sadly, many use this as an excuse to be a little extra racist or islamophobic today.

Yes - I've been talking to a guy on another forum who was actually there when the explosions happened. He said there were 2 distinct explosions... first the car bomb and then the buildings.

Anyhow, he says he's seen a few people picking on random Muslims in the street... hitting out, throwing stuff, yelling racist remarks and stuff. He says that just makes him feel worse. :(

Dena

Mentally ill person, perhaps? I don't know but these things are awful.

John Mortimer

Millions of people will be sending loving & supportive thoughts to Norway and her people. :)

It must be a real shock since there have been no bombs there since WWII.