South Carolina Cop Tosses Student Around

fool

Hall of Fame
First, and I will put this in all caps Bold;
YOU CAN BEAT THE RAP BUT YOU CAN'T BEAT THE RIDE

People want to talk about rights but they have no clue what they are.

You have the right to sit in the clink for three days (if it's a holiday weekend) before you even see a judge who might arraign you or cut you loose.

So when the cops say "you're coming with me".
You're going with them.
That's where you're going.
With them.

And they have tools on their belt to make sure you go with them.

Don't forget that.

BUT; On the other hand.

She's where she's legally prescribed to be ( in her seat in her assigned class in her assigned school ) not bothering anybody and let's point out;
1 The other kids in the vid have laptops on their desks, she has no laptop on her desk.

So was she using a phone instead of a laptop?
Was this some kind of act of civil revolt against the ban on phones while laptops are accepted?

If she doesn't have a laptop to take notes on why can't she use a smartphone to take notes on?

Where is the cops bodycam footage?

So many questions.
Did she record the encounter from her Point Of View?

Is this an epic troll to get a reaction to a cop enforcing a "no cell phones but laptops are OK" zero tolerance policy?

OK Doser this is your chance to weigh in, since you already have on the topic.
If a student is allowed to have a laptop but doesn't have one can they use a Phone? or a Phablet? or a Tablet? or a Notebook?

Was this all over the size of her screen?

glorydaz

This was not about a cell phone. This was about a girl who refused to leave the classroom when she was told. Just like the kid who refused to give the cop his driver's license wasn't about dimming headlights. It was about non-compliance with those in authority. The sowing of the seeds of anarchy.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
This was not about a cell phone. This was about a girl who refused to leave the classroom when she was told. Just like the kid who refused to give the cop his driver's license wasn't about dimming headlights. It was about non-compliance with those in authority. The sowing of the seeds of anarchy.

There is a better way.

LA

bybee

Another perspective: This is an example of very poor citizenship. This girl showed disrespect for the teacher, disregard for school protocols and a flaming disregard for the rights of her fellow classmates to exist in a peaceful learning milieu.
She took charge of the classroom and everyone else had to suspend all of their necessities whilst she disrupted the scene.
This is not an example that can go unconfronted. What are the other students to make of this? Do they get to do as they please also?

PureX

Another perspective: This is an example of very poor citizenship. This girl showed disrespect for the teacher, disregard for school protocols and a flaming disregard for the rights of her fellow classmates to exist in a peaceful learning milieu.
She took charge of the classroom and everyone else had to suspend all of their necessities whilst she disrupted the scene.
This is not an example that can go unconfronted. What are the other students to make of this? Do they get to do as they please also?
I don't think anyone disagrees that a response was necessary. Just not THAT response.

PureX

What it's about is excessive force in response to non-compliance. Citizens are being beaten and killed almost every day in this country simply because they do not immediately and fully comply with some cop's "orders" (orders which the cop very often does not have the right to give). And it needs to be stopped.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... when the cops say "you're coming with me".
You're going with them.
That's where you're going.
With them.

they should teach this in schools

1 The other kids in the vid have laptops on their desks, she has no laptop on her desk.

the cop moved her laptop to an adjacent desk, getting ready to remove her

OK Doser this is your chance to weigh in, since you already have on the topic.
If a student is allowed to have a laptop but doesn't have one can they use a Phone? or a Phablet? or a Tablet? or a Notebook?

Was this all over the size of her screen?

haven't been teaching now for a couple of years, but the writing was on the wall back then and a lot of administrators were encouraging teachers to incorporate cellphone use into their lesson plans

usually what that meant was that the students could have their cell phones out, but they had to produce something for submission by the end of the class to show that they were engaged

it worked well with the advanced kids, the kids who were engaged and wanted to learn

the others? predictably, not so well

bybee

I don't think anyone disagrees that a response was necessary. Just not THAT response.

It appeared to be excessive but I wasn't there.
Once my nephew attacked my daughter with a hammer in his hand. He was out of control. She had pushed his buttons once to many times.
I loved/love him with all of my heart. I could only hold him as tightly as possible and told my daughter to get away until he calmed down.
I noticed the student could not be easily dislodged from her desk? He could have dragged desk with student out into the hall but then what? She was not going to obey any voice of authority.

PureX

I don't think anyone is pleased with how this was handled. What I DO see is all the blame being placed on the officer and no responsibility being put on the girl.
That's basically because the officer is an adult, and is supposed to be a trained professional. While the girl is just an angry kid. So, yes, most of the responsibility for this idiotic response belongs to the adult.

ok doser

That's basically because the officer is an adult, and is supposed to be a trained professional. While the girl is just an angry kid. So, yes, most of the responsibility for this idiotic response belongs to the adult.

so what's your solution?

how should she have been removed when she wouldn't comply?

PureX

It appeared to be excessive but I wasn't there.
Once my nephew attacked my daughter with a hammer in his hand. He was out of control. She had pushed his buttons once to many times.
I loved/love him with all of my heart. I could only hold him as tightly as possible and told my daughter to get away until he calmed down.
I noticed the student could not be easily dislodged from her desk? He could have dragged desk with student out into the hall but then what? She was not going to obey any voice of authority.
Great minds think alike! That's exactly what I was thinking, too. Why not just drag the desk with the girl in it out into the hall? Or if she remains quiet, leave her where she is.

By the way, you handled your nephew exactly right.

So why couldn't a 250 pound, muscle-bound, professionally trained cop?

And why is everyone trying to blame the girl? Kids make bad decisions. That's normal. It's the adults that are supposed to know better.

ok doser

Why not just drag the desk with the girl in it out into the hall?

you're assuming that she will calmly submit to being dragged, desk and all, out into the hallway

and then what?

leave her in the hall?

how is the teacher, who is responsible for her, supposed to teach the class and keep an eye on her?

Or if she remains quiet, leave her where she is.

she's disrupting the classroom and has to leave

and that's not your call to make

it's the teacher's and the administrators, and that's the way they saw it

And why is everyone trying to blame the girl?

:doh:

Kids make bad decisions. That's normal. It's the adults that are supposed to know better.

and teach kids the consequences of those bad decisions

bybee

Well now, let us remember she is a child, an unruly, entitled, headstrong child! But how did she get the idea that she could behave that way and get away with it?
Could it be that from pre-school on children are not disciplined? They are not required to be courteous and respectful? They are not required to consider the effects of their behavior on others?
Could it be that we are raising up a generation composed of a large number of egomaniacs who are essentially beyond control?