South Carolina Cop Tosses Student Around

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's basically because the officer is an adult, and is supposed to be a trained professional. While the girl is just an angry kid. So, yes, most of the responsibility for this idiotic response belongs to the adult.

THAT is exactly what I mean. Just because we expect more from adults doesn't mean there should be no expectations from children and teens.

An angry teen who is encouraged to disregard authority is on the road to becoming an angry and volatile adult.

This thread is an example of this girl being rewarded for her behavior via the encouragement of everyone who is holding her blameless.

gcthomas

Well now, let us remember she is a child, an unruly, entitled, headstrong child! But how did she get the idea that she could behave that way and get away with it?
Could it be that from pre-school on children are not disciplined? They are not required to be courteous and respectful? They are not required to consider the effects of their behavior on others?
Could it be that we are raising up a generation composed of a large number of egomaniacs who are essentially beyond control?

Could it be that she is mentally ill? Could she be a child going through a rebellious phase? Could it be that the school's policy of using physical dominance to control a situation has provided a model for the child to copy? If the school doesn't use meditation to resolve issues how is the child to learn that?

But I wouldn't default to blaming the parents or teachers without knowing more. I've taught plenty of children who have had serious ongoing behaviour issues while their siblings, raised in the same home, have been model students. Hard to entirely blame the parents in these cases - teenagers learn most of their behaviour from their peer group, not from their parents.

The biggest effect parents can have, I suspect, is arranging for an affluent neighbourhood and a chosen school full of well behaved children. But many poor families cannot achieve that, no matter how hard they work or their desire.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... the school's policy of using physical dominance to control a situation ...

cite?

don't bother - you're full of crap with this tack

the teacher asked her politely to leave the classroom
she refused

the administrator asked her politely to leave the classroom
she refused

the cop asked her politely to leave the classroom
she refused

the cop told her that she was leaving the classroom, either voluntarily or by force
she refused

the cop tried to get her to stand up
she swung at him

that's assault

the cop put her on the ground, on her stomach, with her hands behind her back - controlled, so she couldn't hurt him or herself

just like he was sposed to

looks to me like their policy had quite a few steps before physical dominance

and when she chose assault?

that takes it out of the school's sphere

at that point, the cop acts like a cop, not a school security monitor

bybee

No one is saying that her actions were appropriate.

There was a time when such behavior at school would warrant a spanking at home.
Parents would have been humiliated and embarrassed if one of their children acted up so badly.
I attended an inner city grade school in the late 40's. The student body was largely white but included several colored students along with some Mexican kids. It was a tough, physical athletic group including some very bright kids who were respected for their brains.
No one in their right mind would have EVER shown disrespect to a teacher or a neighbor much less to one's parents.
Bully's got their comeuppance one way or another.

Quetzal

There was a time when such behavior at school would warrant a spanking at home.
Parents would have been humiliated and embarrassed if one of their children acted up so badly.
I attended an inner city grade school in the late 40's. The student body was largely white but included several colored students along with some Mexican kids. It was a tough, physical athletic group including some very bright kids who were respected for their brains.
No one in their right mind would have EVER shown disrespect to a teacher or a neighbor much less to one's parents.
Bully's got their comeuppance one way or another.
Ahh the 40's were a great time, weren't they? What was so great about the front of the bus? Water is water right? Who cares what fountain it comes from. Better not speak up though, else you would get hosed down and attacked by police dogs. No no, you're right. The 40s is the perfect time period to model our moral codes on.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ehhh I have seen one or two of those, but I do not think that speaks for "everyone" as your post would suggest.

Oh. I see. You conveniently missed the qualifier:

Rusha said:
This thread is an example of this girl being rewarded for her behavior via the encouragement of everyone who is holding her blameless.

IF you are not one of those holding her blameless this comment didn't apply to you.

Now then, the cop will most likely be disciplined for his bad judgment and REACTION, but what do you suppose will or should happen to the girl?

I suspect interviews, high fives and a lot of bragging. At the least, she should be suspended. At the most, expelled. In the same way that society doesn't need abusive cops, the classrooms do not need unruly brats.

PureX

THAT is exactly what I mean. Just because we expect more from adults doesn't mean there should be no expectations from children and teens.

An angry teen who is encouraged to disregard authority is on the road to becoming an angry and volatile adult.

She did not cause this absurdly violent response. No one is saying she's blameless for her own behavior. But she is blameless regarding this response. And this thread and the video are about the absurdity of the response.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ahh the 40's were a great time, weren't they? What was so great about the front of the bus? Water is water right? Who cares what fountain it comes from. Better not speak up though, else you would get hosed down and attacked by police dogs. No no, you're right. The 40s is the perfect time period to model our moral codes on.

Interestingly enough, you automatically bring up a racial bias even though that was not what Bybee was speaking of.

Yes, years ago were better in certain ways such as children receiving superior discipline. And upbringing. You know, being polite. Words such as "please" "thank you" "may I".

I started to school in the late 60's and graduated in the early 80's. Back then, the kids I went to school with NEVER pulled these kinds of stunts.

Many of us for the same reason: there was an expectancy to behave at school as you would at home. IF I would have pulled such a stunt when I was in high school, the real fear would have been when I got home.

This girl did what she believed she could get away with ...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
She did not cause this absurdly violent response.

she struck the cop

that's assault

151027-officer-student-sc-mn-1020_5230010d5f34060ab8817dceb5a60393.nbcnews-fp-320-240.jpg

dumb move on her part :idunno:

Quetzal

Interestingly enough, you automatically bring up a racial bias even though that was not what Bybee was speaking of.
I suggest if you are going to romanticize a period in time regarding morals and upbringing, you pick one that wasn't so blatantly skewed and racist.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
She did not cause this absurdly violent response. No one is saying she's blameless for her own behavior. But she is blameless regarding this response. And this thread and the video are about the absurdity of the response.

Oh ... because if she had put her phone away OR just left the class, she would have been tackled and arrested, right?

Spin it however you like. Give the kid a medal. In fact, remove all staff and teachers and allow the lunatics to run the asylum.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I suggest if you are going to romanticize a period in time regarding morals and upbringing, you pick one that wasn't so blatantly skewed and racist.

That's nice ... thankfully, I am free to ignore your politically correct suggestion.