South Carolina Cop Tosses Student Around

PureX

Of course "I know that". Kids that brought up to have a healthy respect for authority would not consider confronting a cop like she did.
Unless you have read the girl's mind, at the time this happened, you don't really know what she was thinking. And thinking that you do know is a seriously weird thing to do. Especially when you're doing it so you can dump blame and contempt on a complete stranger.

bybee

Unless you have read the girl's mind, at the time this happened, you don't really know what she was thinking. And thinking that you do know is a seriously weird thing to do. Especially when you're doing it so you can dump blame and contempt on a complete stranger.

Well, some are dumping blame and contempt on the security officer.
I suppose they think they know what he was thinking?
Her actions precipitated the response.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

:think:

... they presume themselves to be absolutely right and endowed by God with the power to judge and punish anyone who doesn't agree with them. ....

:mock:purexcrement

bybee

Ahh the 40's were a great time, weren't they? What was so great about the front of the bus? Water is water right? Who cares what fountain it comes from. Better not speak up though, else you would get hosed down and attacked by police dogs. No no, you're right. The 40s is the perfect time period to model our moral codes on.

And yet, I am not glorifying anything. I was a child in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We all drank from the same fountain. We were all held to the same standards of behavior.
We have come a long way since then, some progress and some losses.

ok doser

many of the comments across the electronic universe are saying "but she's a kid"

i can't find how old she is, or even what grade she's in, other than "high school"

but i suspect that she's old enough to be tried as an adult in south carolina, if they choose to file assault charges against her

gcthomas

Of course "I know that". Kids that brought up to have a healthy respect for authority would not consider confronting a cop like she did.

Not true, since siblings often turn out completely different to their behaviour. The phrase 'black sheep of the family' sums it up well.

glorydaz

If the kid was not actively disrupting the class I would agree. Just leave her in her desk sulking away. Then try to talk to her after the class is over. The cop was WAY out of line IMO.

Cool. The kids are there to learn, and that will teach the others they can just sit in their chairs and sulk, too. :thumb:

glorydaz

Yeah, that must be it.

Or, since I live near liberal town, USA, I've learned that trying to reason with a lib is an impossible task. The only hope is to wait until they are personally vulnerable in some particular area.

bybee

many of the comments across the electronic universe are saying "but she's a kid"

i can't find how old she is, or even what grade she's in, other than "high school"

but i suspect that she's old enough to be tried as an adult in south carolina, if they choose to file assault charges against her

I just saw on Face Book that the Police Officer was fired. No doubt the student shall be invited to the White House and a large cash settlement will be awarded.

Quetzal

Yeah, that must be it.

Or, since I live near liberal town, USA, I've learned that trying to reason with a lib is an impossible task. The only hope is to wait until they are personally vulnerable in some particular area.
Just in case you missed it, I do apologize for that comment. It was uncalled for. :cheers:

glorydaz

Yep, it was inappropriate. I apologize. (Not to you, I find your white knighting to be obnoxious and cringeworthy.) But I go apologize to Glorydaz for the low blow.

Don't you be knocking white knights. We have too few on this board, and those we have I want to keep around as examples to the other guys.

Apology accepted. :)

bybee

I think it is justified.

Just imagine the positive impact this shall have on the other students! One of your classmates gets to ignore the teacher, the principal and the security officer and do exactly as she pleases. She makes a ruckus, the security officer gets fired and the president of the united states gets involved.
How much learning will take place? Will the teacher even bother to correct another student? Why bother?

Quetzal

Just imagine the positive impact this shall have on the other students! One of your classmates gets to ignore the teacher, the principal and the security officer and do exactly as she pleases. She makes a ruckus, the security officer gets fired and the president of the united states gets involved.
How much learning will take place? Will the teacher even bother to correct another student? Why bother?
Careful with the slippery slope. I can't see this happening, but I do see your concern and can't really answer your questions.

ok doser

still waiting for anybody to suggest a different course of action for dealing with a student who refuses direction and assaults a cop

and this particular student?

i predict that within a year or two she'll trying pulling that crap with a cop on the street and end up getting shot for it