Prostitution

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, is that what you meant by

And when government legalizes prostitution it is saying that breaking those vows are ok.

No ... I am saying the government should stay out of the sex lives of consenting adults.

BTW, the government has already said that breaking those vows are okay ... adultery and divorce are not illegal.

To save you some time ... no, I do not believe adultery is okay. Yes, I do believe divorce is necessary and preferential in cases of adultery and abuse.

glassjester

It could. This topic, however, is more complicated than a simple "women and men become prostitutes because they enjoy fornicating".

Would it be good for the government to suggest that unemployed women become prostitutes, and deny unemployment money to those who refuse?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I really doubt anyone becomes a prostitute just for fun.

That exactly describes their customers, though.

I would say otherwise, but I don't know as much about prostitutes to back that up.

You'd be surprised how many strippers in fact do it just for fun though. Some love the attention and desire of others. And if that rings true, and the very next step down is prostitution, then.. :think:

Last edited:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I really doubt anyone becomes a prostitute just for fun.

That exactly describes their customers, though.

Oh, I most definitely agree insofar as the the motives of the customers.

IMO, the only reason for someone to take up a profession that is so degrading would be due to desperation.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Would it be good for the government to suggest that unemployed women become prostitutes, and deny unemployment money to those who refuse?

It wouldn't be good for any agency or person to suggest someone become a prostitute. Prostitution is not a good thing, but rather a desperate measure that a person turns to because they are without shelter, food and income.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
agreed.

Should the government allow that?

Should the government allow minors to sell their bodies to strangers ... OR anyone else? Of course not.

Should they intervene in cases that involve consenting adults ... no, they should stay out of it.

glassjester

It wouldn't be good for any agency or person to suggest someone become a prostitute. Prostitution is not a good thing, but rather a desperate measure that a person turns to because they are without shelter, food and income.

But that would inevitably happen, at least sometimes, if it were made legal.

And prostitution would definitely increase, not decrease, if legalized. If you do in fact think of prostitution as a bad thing, certainly increasing its occurrence is a bad thing as well.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER

Or they could go to a Christian church or organization like the Salvation Army, etc. etc. etc. and ask for charity...

Oh wait, Christians are the bad guys...never mind.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But that would inevitably happen, at least sometimes, if it were made legal.

And prostitution would definitely increase, not decrease, if legalized. If you do in fact think of prostitution as a bad thing, certainly increasing its occurrence is bad thing as well.

I don't necessarily believe every *bad thing* should be illegal. IF I did, then adulterers and those who practice promiscuous sex would overfill the prisons.

I would rather see law enforcement protect those who are not able to protect themselves. Unborn babies. Children. Elderly.

I would rather see law enforcement lock up violent predators who commit crimes such as murder, assault, domestic violence, rape, etc.

glassjester

I don't necessarily believe every *bad thing* should be illegal. IF I did, then adulterers and those who practice promiscuous sex would overfill the prisons.

Adultery is a crime in 21 states. Besides, determining the punishment for a crime is a separate matter from determining whether it is, in fact, a crime.

I would rather see law enforcement protect those who are not able to protect themselves. Unborn babies. Children. Elderly.

False dichotomy. Let's protect unborn babies, children, elderly, and keep prostitution illegal.

I would rather see law enforcement lock up violent predators who commit crimes such as murder, assault, domestic violence, rape, etc.

Another false dichotomy. We should lock those guys up, and try to prevent desperate people from resorting to prostitution.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Adultery is a crime in 21 states. Besides, determining the punishment for a crime is a separate matter from determining whether it is, in fact, a crime.

In old common law over Europe, including Rome (that's you), adultery was felonious while prostitution and brothels were legal.

This changed in the 1800's, but it's interesting to note that for much of western, Christian history, that was how it was.