Prostitution

MarcATL

Legalize it, closely regulate it to prevent abuse of employees and customers alike, and direct the tax revenue to improving quality of life for all citizens.
What he says. Making it illegal just makes crime and danger worse. It's certainly not improving the situation.

MarcATL

And yet nakedness is a sin according to the writers/spoken word storytellers of Genesis 1, given that Adam and Eve don't notice their own until after the metaphorical attainment of moral knowledge.

Why were they ashamed, if the human body is inherently good?

Why does the oral history recorded in Genesis 1 take the tone that they SHOULD be ashamed of their nakedness, if the human body is inherently good?

Why are you quoting the Bible in a thread on the Politics board?

All this and more, next time, on Battlestar Gallactica.
Good question Brother, however, the problem you're experiencing is that you are attempting to comprehend/address spiritual matters from a carnal aka worldly/physical perspective. You can't do that.

Though it will take us going to heaven and asking God Himself what exactly happened in that situation, what we do know and can comprehend is that it was a loss of The Holy Spirit.

Remember, up until that point, Adam and Eve were clothed in His Holy Spirit, so they were naked, but not a naked you and I can comprehend. They were clothed in light.

Note the countless references of encounters with God and the human response, which was to recoil, drop in reverence and soccumbing to the light.

Once they sinned, they instantly lost that Holy Spirit clothing, hence experienced shame for the first time ever.

Can you imagine how that must have felt?!?? Mercy!

MarcATL

I've never sought a prostitute, but I see folks on COPs get busted all the time. If i ever did seek one, I would agree on a situation whereby, we are adults and decide to have relations. I will loan the woman 500 to be repaid in 50 years, IF we are still in touch.

That eliminates prostitution, 2 adults have consenting sex, and the john gives a personal small loan to be repaid in 50 years, no interest. The money and the sex are 2 separate things. :devil:
ROTFLMBAO!

Too funny. :D

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
What he says. Making it illegal just makes crime and danger worse. It's certainly not improving the situation.

Yes, drugs and violence run rampant in areas of prostitution (immoral behavior naturally attracts such things). Tell us how if the government becomes the pimp that things will be better.

Tinark

Is it my imagination or is Buzzword ignoring me?

Sheesh, he wanted to talk about the legalization of prostitution, and here I is to talk about it.

(I wonder if Buzzword knows that I'll bring up the millions and millions of women, children and even men that are enslaved by prostitution rings throughout the world, including here in the United States and is avoiding me for that reason?).

1442388041g.jpg

As Tradito would say, this is a non-sequitor

Because millions of people have been used as illegal slave labor in the past, we should therefore make employing anyone in a job illegal? Does not compute.

Tinark

It might be acceptable to permit prostitution if criminalizing it would produce greater social evils.

I don't know how this applies to current historical circumstances.

Why is the proper test on whether something should be legal be whether criminalizing it produces greater social evils or not?

Tinark

Against. While a well-managed, legalized form is better than shady, illegal prostitution - the fact remains that sex produces children. This is its primary function. Contraceptives and pills may reduce the probability of having a child - but ultimately they only work so well. Now what does the mother do? She can't exactly go and marry whoever is the father. She likely doesn't even remember them. And a child isn't generally going to be good for such business. There is a good chance she will thus seek an abortion. Even if she keeps the child - the child grows up in a broken household with a lot of strange men coming over all the time for their mother.

Also - socially accepting prostitution as a valid career will inevitably push women (and men) into that line of work who don't desire to, but need money. "You want welfare because you can't find a well-paying job? But you are pretty - you could make money as a prostitute instead! Therefore your application is denied - get to work."

You do realize there are non-vaginal forms of sex, right? Would you be OK with prostitution that does not involve vaginal sex?

How about in cases where the man has had a vasectomy?

Tinark

I don't think it should be legalized.
I do not think prostitution is a good thing.

But... I'm interested in what secular case can be made against prostitution. It seems that, in our current cultural climate, the issue is bound to find its way to the supreme court, leading to its nation-wide legalization.

How might the opposition make the case against it?

I don't think eating fatty hamburgers and greasy fries for every meal is a good thing but I wouldn't make it illegal.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I've never sought a prostitute, but I see folks on COPs get busted all the time. If i ever did seek one, I would agree on a situation whereby, we are adults and decide to have relations. I will loan the woman 500 to be repaid in 50 years, IF we are still in touch.

That eliminates prostitution, 2 adults have consenting sex, and the john gives a personal small loan to be repaid in 50 years, no interest. The money and the sex are 2 separate things. :devil:

as i understand it, this is similar to the way it's done on craigslist

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
Is it my imagination or is Buzzword ignoring me?

Sheesh, he wanted to talk about the legalization of prostitution, and here I is to talk about it.

(I wonder if Buzzword knows that I'll bring up the millions and millions of women, children and even men that are enslaved by prostitution rings throughout the world, including here in the United States and is avoiding me for that reason?).

As Tradito would say, this is a non-sequitor.

Because millions of people have been used as illegal slave labor in the past, we should therefore make employing anyone in a job illegal? Does not compute.

("employing anyone in a job". Notice how Tinark purposely doesn't use words like "prostitution" and "whore").

Let me rephrase your sentence in a politically incorrect format:

Because millions of people have been and are currently being kidnapped and pimped out as prostitutes, we should therefore make using one's body as a whore illegal?

Yes, as I mentioned earlier in the thread: people have different sexual appetites; some like 22 year old whores from the US, while others like 12 year old boys from Thailand or 14 year old girls from Venezuela (supply and demand).

On a related note: As I've said many times in another thread: what makes the immoral behavior that you defend so much better than the immoral behavior that others partake in or defend?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Prostitution was made illegal by the same source in which alcohol was prohibited in the early 90's.

Puritan ideology and bias.

The fact of the matter is that prostitution was legal in every Christian society to date until America happened. The Catholic Church even allowed brothels and such.