Paul: The Commandments Made Me Want to Lust and Sin

Robert Pate

Banned
Apparently you need instructions because....and I'll ask this again here....

Would it do any good to point out that all 3 main feasts were to be observed FOREVER, are a part of the law, and have been spiritually as well as naturally observed since the events recorded in Acts 2, which by the way since the events described in Acts 2 was supposedly "after" the time of the law and was yet partaken of by the gentiles too, present a problem for the theory it doesn't exist anymore? Or is that an acceptable elephant in the room, too? Peace

The law and everything concerning the law has been abolished.

From now on "The Just Shall Live by Faith" and not according to laws, rules or religion.

RBBI

The law and everything concerning the law has been abolished.

From now on "The Just Shall Live by Faith" and not according to laws, rules or religion.

So I take it my previous comment delineates that it IS an acceptable elephant in the room to you.

The law was never abolished, as Yeshua said it wouldn't be. What was abolished was the EMNITY it created, because with the addition of the Spirit, NOW it can be fulfilled, which is why Yeshua, a Jew born under the law, received the Spirit then went out to use the LAW WITH IT, to overcome the enemy of our souls.

THAT is the pattern, not Him just emanating some comment about ultra grace that does not exist apart from it's foundation, for where SIN (conviction by the LAW) abounds, GRACE abounds more. He has two "hands" not just one, and He didn't cut one off to spite the other one, or because He "likes" it better. Peace

RBBI

:vomit: Do I have to talk about it? :granite: Eph 5:12

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God (Ga 5:19–21).

No. Works of the flesh and unfruitful works of darkness are not the same thing. Keep digging. Peace

Ben Masada

Paul: The Commandments Made me want to lust and sin.

Paul: The Commandments Made me want to lust and sin.

Probably because the Law had made him conscious that the way he used to live before as a Hellenist Jew was immoral and of a sinful condition.

Ben Masada

Galatians 6:15-16 NASB - 15 For neither is circumcision anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. 16 And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God.

There is no new creation without being born again according to Isaiah 56:1-8.

RBBI

Maybe it's just me because I haven't had my coffee yet, but are you sure that's the section of Isaiah you meant to quote? If it is, please explain how what you said correlates with it. Thanks.....Peace

musterion

Religion teaches that the law or the commandments produces righteousness. The law does not produce righteousness. What the law produces is sin and rebellion.

Paul said that sin "took advantage" of the Law (Rom 7:8), thereby producing in him all manner of evil desire.

He did not say that the Law itself "produces sin and rebellion." For the Law to do as you say would contradict Rom 7:12, seems to me.

Interplanner

He simply means that sheer commands from an uncaring God can have that negative effect. Not so the love of God poured out in the Gospel, which wins the heart first.

Robert Pate

Banned
Paul said that sin "took advantage" of the Law (Rom 7:8), thereby producing in him all manner of evil desire.

He did not say that the Law itself "produces sin and rebellion." For the Law to do as you say would contradict Rom 7:12, seems to me.

The law does produce sin and rebellion.

"I had not know lust, except the law said, THOU SHALL NOT COVET" Romans 7:7.

The law is holy just and good because it reveals the nature and character of God.

The law is not the problem. Sinful man is the problem.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless... (1 Timothy 1:8-9 NKJV)​

Lawless? That would be someone who believes we are not accountable for what we do and say.

RBBI

The law DOES NOT produce sin and rebellion. The wheat and the tare being raised up together, the tares were ALSO quickened by the Word of the Lord (the law), because the rain falls on the just and the unjust EQUALLY.

THAT principle is why man (Paul was not just talking about himself but mankind in general) did not know what sin was until the PRINCIPALITY that is also called sin, was given life (raised up).

The law is holy and good, because it is THIS WORD that was made flesh in the visible form of Yeshua.

And all of the above is why He said not to remove the tares before the harvest of the wheat, because it would hurt the wheat. Tares and wheat are indistinguishable from one another UNTIL THEY BEAR FRUIT. Peace

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The law does produce sin and rebellion.

"I had not know lust, except the law said, THOU SHALL NOT COVET" Romans 7:7.

The law defined lust, it didn't compel anyone to covet anymore than it would compel someone to commit murder or to steal or to commit adultery.

We should give God the benefit of the doubt that he knew what he was doing when he gave the Hebrews instructions for them to live by instead of second-guessing his works and speaking against his decision for his people.

Isaiah predicted that the LORD is well pleased for His righteousness’ sake, he will exalt the law and make it honorable (Isaiah 42:21) which is exactly what Christ did. Christ magnified the law spiritually by teaching that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

This is what Paul was referring to with regard to the law. The law defines sin.

Robert Pate

Banned
The law DOES NOT produce sin and rebellion. The wheat and the tare being raised up together, the tares were ALSO quickened by the Word of the Lord (the law), because the rain falls on the just and the unjust EQUALLY.

THAT principle is why man (Paul was not just talking about himself but mankind in general) did not know what sin was until the PRINCIPALITY that is also called sin, was given life (raised up).

The law is holy and good, because it is THIS WORD that was made flesh in the visible form of Yeshua.

And all of the above is why He said not to remove the tares before the harvest of the wheat, because it would hurt the wheat. Tares and wheat are indistinguishable from one another UNTIL THEY BEAR FRUIT. Peace

Paul said that the law produces sin and rebellion, Romans 7:7-12.

I think that I am going to believe Paul.

"I had not know lust, except the law said, THOU SHALT NOT COVET" Romans 7:7.

And then he lusted because the law made him lust.

Robert Pate

Banned
The law defined lust, it didn't compel anyone to covet anymore than it would compel someone to commit murder or to steal or to commit adultery.

We should give God the benefit of the doubt that he knew what he was doing when he gave the Hebrews instructions for them to live by instead of second-guessing his works and speaking against his decision for his people.

Isaiah predicted that the LORD is well pleased for His righteousness’ sake, he will exalt the law and make it honorable (Isaiah 42:21) which is exactly what Christ did. Christ magnified the law spiritually by teaching that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

This is what Paul was referring to with regard to the law. The law defines sin.

Adam and Eve had no interest in the tree in the midst of the garden until God said, "Dont eat of it" and then the rest is history.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

That would be like saying the speed limit made me speed. Tell that to a judge.

The law is not held accountable, the law-breaker is held accountable.

Just because the law says you shall not murder does not cause someone to murder, it just defines a murderer whenever a person is convicted and asked to pay for his crime.

Robert Pate

Banned
That would be like saying the speed limit made me speed. Tell that to a judge.

The law is not held accountable, the law-breaker is held accountable.

Just because the law says you shall not murder does not cause someone to murder, it just defines a murderer whenever a person is convicted and asked to pay for his crime.

I believe what Paul wrote.

There is something in human nature that when told not to do something they want to do it.

This is why organized religion is so full of immorality.

RBBI

Paul said that the law produces sin and rebellion, Romans 7:7-12.

I think that I am going to believe Paul.

"I had not know lust, except the law said, THOU SHALT NOT COVET" Romans 7:7.

No, Paul did not say that. YOU said that, and you are taking what he said out of context and twisting the words to mean what you want them to mean. Note here that the principality of sin, is what produced.

Romans 7:8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire.

Did you read the last part of what you quoted?

Romans 7:12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
There is no new creation without being born again according to Isaiah 56:1-8.
A new creature or new creation in Christ involves being born of the Spirit of God, being born again.

But a new heavens and a new earth is different from being born again. I used the term new creation in this way, which is not necessarily Biblical but described my question about what is the new heavens and the new earth, if it is a new creation. The present creation, God's creation (for God is the Creator) is the only creation of God I know. Thus the question of if the new heavens and the new earth is a recreation, and now what form that recreation would take (remaking from that which is or remaking with entirely new material even perhaps new laws of nature etc...).

Thoughts about these verses, anyway.

2 Peter 3:10-13 NASB - 10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. 11 Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, 12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! 13 But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.

RBBI

There is something in human nature that when told not to do something they want to do it.

This is why organized religion is so full of immorality.

Again, it's called the principality of sin. Sin is not just a verb, it's a noun as well.

The reason why organized religion is so full of immorality is because they are so far off from the pattern given they are not recognizable, AND because they have no understanding on the principality that is sin or of the law, so they refuse to let Him clean up the inside of the cup as well and as such are full of dead men's BONES. Peace