Mizzou Racial Tension

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Pick-up trucks with rebel flags driving around the campus, etc., would probably be something to look out for, and strongly discourage.

how would you do that?

is it against the law to drive a pickup truck with a rebel flag?

how about an suv with a rebel flag bumper sticker? should they be "strongly discouraged"?

how about a bicycle with a rebel flag sticker on the handlebars?

how about this guy?

should he be "strongly discouraged"?

h_k_edgerton_5.jpg

PureX

And who are these "people"? :idunno: All this controversy about the university president not doing anything got all the news. Everyone was patting themselves on the back for forcing him to resign. Ok, so he is gone now. So now what? :idunno: Who were these people that hurled racial slurs at black students? Were they fellow students? Campus staff? Campus visitors? Random people? NO ONE is asking this question.
Racism is everywhere. On and off campus, and especially in the deep south. But if the college keeps to a strict policy against it, and maintains that policy, then it can usually be kept to a minimum effect. But if the administration becomes lax, and tries to sweep this stuff under the rug, instead of addressing it loud and clear, the incidents will almost certainly increase and escalate, as they always do.

This particular college president couldn't even articulate an appropriate response to being asked about it, so he wasn't qualified to be the president of a college, as far as I'm concerned. Because being the spokesperson for the college is his FIRST job priority, and being articulate is a primal necessity of that job.

Good riddance, and let's hope the college posts someone more qualified this time.

Huckleberry

I'm only seeing two incidents.

"The student government president reported in September that people shouted racial slurs at him from a passing pickup truck, galvanizing a protest movement that began weeks earlier."

And...

"Among other recent events, members of the Legions of Black Collegians, whose founders include a recently retired deputy chancellor, said slurs were hurled at them by an apparently drunken white student while practicing for a homecoming performance."

These are the only two incidents anyone is citing, as far as I can see. Other than that, all we get is...

"Some students, faculty and alumni have said the protests and top leaders' resignations are the culmination of years of racial tension."

Not seeing anything else specified from the latest news on the incident.
(source)

PureX

I wasn't aware of that. I'll go update myself on this.

Which would be a direct violation of free speech. On a college campus, for crying out loud. A place where free speech should be rather paramount.
Nip free speech in the bud. :think:

How, exactly? Without breaking the law, I mean.
...by denying others the right to free speech? Off campus even?

Are you not seeing the problem here?
What I'm seeing is you defending racism under the guise of free speech. Why am I not surprised?

But it's not the college president's job to worry about the racist's free speech rights. It's his job to protect the students from harassment both on and off campus, and to provide a secure, peaceful, learning environment for them. And this particular college president wasn't doing that, or even attempting to do that. So he's lucky they let him resign. He should have been fired.

Huckleberry

What I'm seeing is you defending racism under the guise of free speech. Why am I not surprised?
What was that you said about insults earlier?

How about you support that insulting accusation or retract it.

I think it's reasonable to demand one or the other.

But it's not the college president's job to worry about the racist's free speech rights.
You're right.

Doesn't give anyone the right to deny anyone else their right to free speech though, does it?
It's his job to protect the students from harassment both on and off campus, and to provide a secure, peaceful, learning environment for them.
...without breaking the law or denying anyone their right to free speech, right?
And this particular college president wasn't doing that, or even attempting to do that. So he's lucky they let him resign. He should have been fired.
It may well be he wasn't doing his job. This does not excuse the behavior of the protesters and activists at the center of all this though. Nor does it give anyone the right to deny anyone else their free speech rights.

PureX

"Among other recent events, ...
There were other incidents, just not specifically mentioned. Which stands to reason, since there were multiple reactions, and multiple people involved in those reactions, on the part of the students.

Huckleberry

There were other incidents, just not specifically mentioned. Which stands to reason, since there were multiple reactions, and multiple people involved in those reactions, on the part of the students.
That may be, but I'm not seeing these events specified anywhere. I can't help but find that questionable. :idunno:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
University of Missouri Professor Who Confronted Photographer Quits Journalism Post

After a University of Missouri professor was seen on video calling for “some muscle” to remove a journalist from a public demonstration, the professor cut her ties to the university’s journalism school on Tuesday as protest organizers — and the professor herself — joined college officials in stating that journalists had a right to be present.
From Our Advertisers

The professor, Melissa Click, an assistant professor in the department of communication had what was described as a “courtesy appointment” at the School of Journalism, meaning that she could serve on student thesis review panels. “Journalism school faculty members are taking immediate action to review that appointment,” David Kurpius, the dean of the school, said in a statement released Tuesday, stressing that Ms. Click did not teach at the school.

Dr. Kurpius said in a message on Twitter late Tuesday that Ms. Click resigned her courtesy appointment with the journalism school during a faculty meeting that day. It was unclear whether her status within the department of communication, which is in the College of Arts and Sciences, had changed.

Both the journalism school and the department of communication defended the rights of journalists in a Monday confrontation with protesters who said they wanted to create a media-free “safe space” at a protest encampment on a campus quad.

In particular, one student photographer, Tim Tai, was seen in a much-watched video arguing with protesters who surrounded him and pushed him back. Toward the end of the video, the person shooting it identified himself to Ms. Click as also being with the media, and when he refused her demands that he leave, she yelled: “Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here? I need some muscle over here.”

"they wanted to create a media-free “safe space” at a protest encampment on a campus quad"

:freak:

of course - no terrorist organization wants to be observed while it works

The Berean

Racism is everywhere. On and off campus, and especially in the deep south. But if the college keeps to a strict policy against it, and maintains that policy, then it can usually be kept to a minimum effect. But if the administration becomes lax, and tries to sweep this stuff under the rug, instead of addressing it loud and clear, the incidents will almost certainly increase and escalate, as they always do.
I understand that. People should be able to go to college without being verbally assaulted.

This particular college president couldn't even articulate an appropriate response to being asked about it, so he wasn't qualified to be the president of a college, as far as I'm concerned. Because being the spokesperson for the college is his FIRST job priority, and being articulate is a primal necessity of that job.

Good riddance, and let's hope the college posts someone more qualified this time.

He did come across as clueless.

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm only seeing two incidents.

"The student government president reported in September that people shouted racial slurs at him from a passing pickup truck, galvanizing a protest movement that began weeks earlier."

And...

"Among other recent events, members of the Legions of Black Collegians, whose founders include a recently retired deputy chancellor, said slurs were hurled at them by an apparently drunken white student while practicing for a homecoming performance."

These are the only two incidents anyone is citing, as far as I can see. Other than that, all we get is...

"Some students, faculty and alumni have said the protests and top leaders' resignations are the culmination of years of racial tension."

Not seeing anything else specified from the latest news on the incident.
(source)

A third incident I heard/read about was that someone used feces to draw a swastika somewhere. Don't remember where.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
"they wanted to create a media-free “safe space” at a protest encampment on a campus quad"

:freak:

of course - no terrorist organization wants to be observed while it works

Strange. Why media free? Wouldn't most protesters want the attention to get their message out? :idunno:

It's funny that the professor who wanted journalists gone was from the communications department. :freak:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Strange. Why media free? Wouldn't most protesters want the attention to get their message out? :idunno:

It's funny that the professor who wanted journalists gone was from the communications department. :freak:

That's what I thought, It's a journalism school and they wanted to shut down a fellow student who was covering the story. It should be documented as much as possible.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Many restaurants and businesses closed yesterday and last night amid racial tension and a threat to the campus. A campus alert was issued -

Here is an email sent to finance students at Mizzou. Time stamp is 9pm
Embedded image permalink - 3

well the alert email didn't copy but a threat was recieved and two separate people were arrested yesterday in Missouri, one for a threat on Yik Yak

Police officers in Missouri say they’ve arrested a second college student in connection with threats posted on the anonymous messaging app Yik Yak.

Suspect Arrested For Posting Online Threats Against University of Missouri Students
University of Missouri police say they have apprehended the individual who posted threats on the…
Read more
Northwest Missouri State University student Connor Stottlemyre, 19, is reportedly in custody on charges of making a terrorist threat after he allegedly posted the message, “I’m going to shoot any black people tomorrow, so be ready,” on the app.

Another Missouri student, Hunter Park, was arrested early Wednesday morning in connection with other threats posted on the app.

The threats appeared to come in response to protests propagated by Concerned Student 1950, a student group concerned with racist activity on campus.

Rumors and Threats Alarm University of Missouri Campus
Posts from Mizzou students across a variety of social media platforms reflected a campus in turmoil …
Read more
So far the school has taken the stance that the threats are just that, saying in a tweet, “There is no immediate threat to campus. Please do not spread rumors.”

OCTOBER23

Isaiah 3:12 As for my people, children are their oppressors,

and women rule over them. O my people,

they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths.

Jude 1:16 These are murmurers, complainers,

walking after their own lusts;

and their mouth speaketh great swelling words,

PureX

Truth be told, these days the media is more likely to deliberately ratchet up tensions with hyperbole than report on them accurately. So maybe it's not so strange that someone would propose a "media free zone", where people could talk to each other without the hyperbolic media doing everything it can to encourage tensions.